Home

What happens in 2012?

This is a discussion on What happens in 2012? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

OVR: 9
What happens in 2012?

As you all probably know, EA Sports has exclusive rights to make and distribute a video game based on the NFL. It has since 2005 and will until, at least, 2012.

The result of this has been, in my opinion, the steady decline of the Madden franchise. With out legitimate competition, the creative process behind the game has grown stale and stagnate. The product itself, aside from improved graphics and a decent feature every now and then, is hardly comparable to iterations we saw over 5 years ago, with Madden 2005, in my opinion, being the pinnacle of the series.

There is no doubt in my mind that if EA had never been granted the exclusive license, we would currently be playing the NFL version of MLB: The Show. Competition drives improvements in this market, and with someone like 2K sports or WHOEVER challenging Madden on equal footing, the game would've continued to excel beyond '05. But we all know that didn't happen.

Anyway, enough whining about the past. I now turn my attention to post 2012, when the current agreement runs its course.

What will happen? Will EA and the NFL renew their agreement (as they already have once before)? Remember, the NFL was the one who APPROACHED EA for the original agreement... it is perhaps more based on financial concerns than actually producing an exceptional product.

If the agreement IS renewed, and EA retains its exclusive rights, do you ever see Madden returning to the level of excellence it displayed prior to the original agreement? Or will it be more of the same that we've seen in the past 5 years?

Anyway, I've just been thinking about this a lot. I honestly don't see Madden being what we all want and know it can be until this license is gone. And I guess I really don't blame EA...it just doesn't make business sense to pour extra resources into a game when you know you'll make a significant profit nonetheless.

Alright let's hear what you have to say.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: What happens in 2012?

I really hope that the NFL doesn't renew the exclusive license. It serves no purpose besides making money. Give the consumers an option and make EA prove that they are the elite football developer, not just the one with the most money. I'm pretty sure they will renew the license, but it will definitely be a let down considering how great Madden 2005 and NFL 2k5 were. After playing NFL 2k5 every now and then, I think how amazing it would be to have seen what NFL 2k10 could have looked like.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Same thing I was saying. Madden NFL will never be better as long as they hold the rights. One good way to make them make the game better is for everyone to just not buy the game.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Ah, the Daily " When can 2K get the NFL" thread.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Banned

Angry Re: What happens in 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan

I agree. Unless EA tanks or goes down a la hostile takeover, that baby is on lockdown.

And it's a god damn shame.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 7

I really think the contract gets renewed. What reason does the NFL have for taking it away? The people calling the shots aren't playing it, so they could careless about gameplay.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampN252
I really think the contract gets renewed. What reason does the NFL have for taking it away? The people calling the shots aren't playing it, so they could careless about gameplay.
I guess the one reason is that sales drop to a level where they feel like having more games would generate more money...

But the pros (for the NFL) of sticking with the current set up are too numerous. THe top reason is probably the level of control and influence they have over the game (over stupid things like no tattoos and stuff like that...control their "image")

Old 03-02-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
I've never played 2k, so it doesn't have to be them...im really just talking about competition in general. Ive played Madden since 97 and i love the franchise but I want it to start producing excellence, and I dont see that happening until the playing field is leveled.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »