Home

Idea: Here's how you make people pick more than 13 plays on offense

This is a discussion on Idea: Here's how you make people pick more than 13 plays on offense within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 9
Idea: Here's how you make people pick more than 13 plays on offense

Some people claim adaptive AI on defense is the way to make offenses expand their playcalling but I disagree. I think the defense needs to be given more control over instructing their players. Sure you can call a a certain defense that is supposed to work against a certain offensive play but when you do this, the defense does not KEY on the aspect you are trying to stop. Here's my idea:

There needs to be another screen on defense that you can enter where you can select offensive plays. This becomes activated when the offense runs the same play 3 times in a game, the play becomes available for the defense to pick. IE if you run slants 3 times, I can enter a screen on defense that is available on the "Ask Madden, Pick by formation, Pick by play type" screen that is entitled "Defensive Keys". Once the offensive play is used 3 times, the offensive play becomes listed in the defense's "Defensive Keys" screen and in addition to picking a defensive play you can also pick a defensive key and if you select correctly what the offense is running, the offensive plays success ratio drops to near 0%.

I also propose that there is no penalty to the defense for selecting wrong since this would create potential for an unfair advantage for the offense (See the Strategy feature in NCAA that is so unbalanced).

Thoughts?

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/bgdave39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Idea: Here's how you make people pick more than 13 plays on offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdave39

I also propose that there is no penalty to the defense for selecting wrong since this would create potential for an unfair advantage for the offense (See the Strategy feature in NCAA that is so unbalanced).

Thoughts?
the basic problem with this 13 plays debacle is that most users play to WIN, not to play football. Forcing people to go through additional screens or somehow be forced into not selecting certain plays will not work. I usually just let Madden choose all my plays (pretending it is the coordinators) but that might be putting me in the minority. What the game should do is just have the Defensive AI (based on accumulated player IQ + defensive/offensive coach IQ) audible to a "stopping" play.

Also realize that no matter how good the opposite play is, human skill will always trump the AI.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 9

What I have proposed in no way limits the offende or defensive playcalling. It just gives an extra tool to the defense when the same plays on offense are being used repeatedly.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/bgdave39
Old 03-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

offensively i don't is the problem why 13 plays are picked. its because the defense is too simple not varition on defense its all the same . if you were able to toggle zones,twist, blitz twist , rolling coverage you could pick thirteen plays now your trying to outsmart defense
Old 03-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 13

Well if they would just bring back the ability to "shade" the receivers we would be able to shut down the friggin slant patterns!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
MVP

timmg's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boregard
Well if they would just bring back the ability to "shade" the receivers we would be able to shut down the friggin slant patterns!!!
ncaa needs this BAD!!!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

the main way you would make everyone use more plays is if they all worked correctly, and certain plays weren't overly effective. we all know what routes work in madden and which one's you don't event need to bother to look at. same thing with running plays certain plays are never blocked correctly so there is no point in even bothering with those plays.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40

The way to make people pick more than 13 plays is to make it so the same 13 plays don't cycle through the Ask Madden screen. Ask Madden seems to only use like 10-15 different plays for the entire game.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »