Home

Peter Moore - Committed to Digital Transformation

This is a discussion on Peter Moore - Committed to Digital Transformation within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #17
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Peter Moore - Committed to Digital Transformation

"Digital transformation" isn't a bad thing. It should make publishing video games a lot more cost effective, which in turn has the potential to lead to a better product (key word being "potential").

The bigger issue is their "diversification" strategy, which will lead to watered down and shallow sports games. Instead of depth and authenticity that sports fans can really sink their teeth into, EA Sports seems interested in flavorless fodder which they can feed to the heard.

Last edited by spit_bubble; 03-20-2010 at 12:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-19-2010, 10:16 PM   #18
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Peter Moore was introduced (if I'm not mistaking) a few months after the disaster Madden 08 was released. He spoke of attracting the casual gamer in order to grow the business. I felt sick for the future of Madden and other EA Sports games.

However, M10 is a marked improvement. The NHL, FIFA, and Fight Night games are all really good (and sim-oriented).

So with that in mind, I don't really lose sleep over what Peter Moore says anymore. Besides, to his credit or not, Madden has improved under his watch.
Exactly. Peter Moore, IMO restored the Madden franchise when he took over. When he came, we got developer interaction at the end of Madden 09's development cycle, and Madden went in a much better direction than the destructive path that it previously was headed to with Madden 08 and earlier next-gen titles. Although I disagree with Peter Moore's choice of words in that previous article, I still do respect his accomplishments, not only with EA Sports, but in the video game industry itself. Most of the stuff he said is the truth and is a very good business strategy for EA to increase its sales, but his message to the general public should have been said with more cautious words.

Last edited by MattIntellect; 03-19-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #19
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by reo
Thinking about it more. I guess you're right in a way. It's not just who like sports like I previously stated. It's all casual gamers, no? However, the question EA must be asking is, how to get casual gamers who do not like sports, to like sports especially in video form. Tough job . . .

Hmm . . .

if they make a great game they won't even have to ponder on how to get the "casual gamer"...
Old 03-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #20
You know why I'm here...

jWILL253's Arena

OVR: 25

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...l_Strategy.php

If it smells like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it obviously ain't a lion. But, they are lyin'...
Old 03-20-2010, 12:50 AM   #21
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWILL10
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...l_Strategy.php

If it smells like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it obviously ain't a lion. But, they are lyin'...
These people should seriously be burned at the stake. Wall Street started out as a mechanism to aid business, and has turned into something that tears it apart... Continuous profit at all cost, even at the expense of product, resources, and life itself.

They aren't even human these people... They are soulless shells, better served to be in the ground feeding plant life... Along with anyone who thinks this crap is okay.

What do you benefit if you gain the whole world but are yourself lost?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2010, 01:18 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
You wanna know how? Make a great game. That's it. I know a whole bunch of people that buy and play MLB the Show that don't even like baseball. They like it because it's a great game. If I only played sports games, like a lot of people I know do, I'd be one of those people as well. Unfortunately for Sony, I play games from many different genres so I don't really have time to get into it like I need to. I will say this though. My friend rented it one weekend and we played the hell out of it and neither of us are big baseball fans. That's what a great game'll do. If EA wants to get sales from people that aren't into football, make a great game. It works for MLB the Show. It can work for Madden too.
Including detailed instruction manuals with their games would go a long way in attracting casual gamers. It seems like if you are not a hardcore fan of a sport, you have no chance of picking up the details of any sports game that is released. That is why I only buy baseball and football games, I don't follow other sports close enough to be able to look at the 2 pages that explain the controls and feel like I know what i'm doing
Old 03-20-2010, 01:45 AM   #23
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWILL10
Whoa!!!

I didn't actually read this article before. I was just responding to what others were posting, but now that I've actually read the article, there seems to be more things to be concerned about with madden besides just a digital transformation. Maybe we should be concerned about a TOTAL transformation.

This quote from the new COO is definitely something to think about.

Quote:
"Not being a hardcore gamer hasn't stopped me," she adds. In fact, as a casual player and female executive, she says she's ideally placed to bring refreshing ideas to EA Sports and inform its diversification strategy.

"There are lots more different types of consumers who want to enjoy this part of the industry, and I think I can bring some insight to that strategy."
To be honest, it fits together with everything else that's been going on at EA Tiburon. I guess this is just more fuel for my "Madden is going more casual" fire.

Last edited by splff3000; 03-20-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:48 AM   #24
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
Including detailed instruction manuals with their games would go a long way in attracting casual gamers. It seems like if you are not a hardcore fan of a sport, you have no chance of picking up the details of any sports game that is released. That is why I only buy baseball and football games, I don't follow other sports close enough to be able to look at the 2 pages that explain the controls and feel like I know what i'm doing
You know, I never thought about that but you're right. The only reason I know how to play Madden is because I've been playing almost 20 yrs now. I never look at the book. I just pop in the game and start playing. I never thought about the casual user, who has never played Madden before, trying to learn how to play. I bet it must suck for them. I figure quite a few would get frustrated and give up. The only ones that probably stick it out are the ones that really want to learn how to play. If EA had an actual manual, maybe new players wouldn't have a hard time learning the game and what not. You hear that EA!!! Let's get some real manuals for Madden 11!!!

Last edited by splff3000; 03-20-2010 at 01:52 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »