Home

Are developers scratching their heads?

This is a discussion on Are developers scratching their heads? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2010, 03:54 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 2
Are developers scratching their heads?

I can understand why they would be. These games have kind of hit a wall and it's kind of like where do we go from here. The thing is I could tell these developers where to go but I won't? I don't mean that like it sounds either. It's just pretty obvious to me. Does anyone else feel the way i do? I know vague post but yeah. I personally think there are so many things that can be done with these games that haven't been whether developers think they are listening or not. It's just a matter of doing them.

My question is are we going to see a Madden 11 with EA just revamping graphics and doing the same things all over again or are they going to actually answer those questions. I understand it's a business first and foremost for companies like EA but it is a fine line between what can we do where we can stay in business and what can we do to put out the best possible game and innovate and stretch the boundaries a bit. I wish some of these developers would grow some balls because you really could have the best of both worlds.

I don't even like saying these things because it's almost like you created your own ****, might as well swim in it? Why help you out??

Last edited by kgisyourfather; 03-30-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: Are developers scratching their heads?

It's not the game that might be hitting a brick wall, it could be the developer talent and knowledge that has hit a brick wall. All I know is that they still have a lot of work to do. Last year's game barely scratched the surface but the Madden franchise is still FAR away from being able to top that "other game".
Old 03-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

I hate vague answers to obvious solutions.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgisyourfather
it is a fine line between what can we do where we can stay in business and what can we do to put out the best possible game and innovate and stretch the boundaries a bit.
I don't see these as mutually exclusive. IMHO, it is a myth that the more sim you make a game (which is what I would define as the best possible game), the less popular it would be. That premise runs counter to the very thing that made Madden the most popular football game years ago--it was the only one back then that attempted to create real football per the direction of John Madden himself.

Now the arrogant but clueless Peter Moore wants to make it "more accessible". If that had been the mantra in the early days of Madden, we might have been playing 5 on 5 football all those years.

IMHO, it's their "casual" vision that will always stifle it. If they can get back to creating "real" football (in so much as can be created on a console), they will get their reputation back. That's how they built their reputation in the first place.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
I don't see these as mutually exclusive. IMHO, it is a myth that the more sim you make a game (which is what I would define as the best possible game), the less popular it would be. That premise runs counter to the very thing that made Madden the most popular football game years ago--it was the only one back then that attempted to create real football per the direction of John Madden himself.

Now the arrogant but clueless Peter Moore wants to make it "more accessible". If that had been the mantra in the early days of Madden, we might have been playing 5 on 5 football all those years.

IMHO, it's their "casual" vision that will always stifle it. If they can get back to creating "real" football (in so much as can be created on a console), they will get their reputation back. That's how they built their reputation in the first place.
Yes!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 9

This is a very thought provoking topic and I would have to say yes..I tend to lean toward the fact that the current engine that they are forced to use is incapable of simulating true football momentum and physics without breaking the game per say. The Watcher alluded to this during his visit at last years community day. They played a version of madden that had momentum and physics that was unseen before in the series but it was unable to make it into the final version of the game due to certain difficulties.

Supposedly there are numerous animations that don't trigger, no physics, no true pocket, no gap assignments, no sideline/end zone recognition, robo QB, etc...these are all problems tied to the engine. We have seen these problems reoccur for years now after they have been identified by the community as problems. I refuse to believe Ian and his team simply ignore these issues year after year. They most likely just don't know how to fix them within the realm of what their forced to use engine wise.

Is Madden 11 going to innovate? I really doubt it. The 1st blog was presented to us as some new sort of catching logic that is going to have a major impact on the game. Why highlight that as some new tech when it really isn't? Previous games already expressed accurate sideline/end zone catches.

I'm older now so I can see through a lot of the marketing ploys that companies use to excite the consumer base. Madden is the King of Embellishment when it comes to technology but the truth is we have not really evolved that much since the last generation days. So you just have to take it for what it's worth I guess. They have a game to hype and sell. We as consumers must decipher is the game truly moving in the right direction and worth buying.

In regards to the game being a simulation. I really feel the team should go that route and force us to deal with it. It would be a real breath of fresh air to have a 2nd string QB only be able to identify two reads during the game because his skill set/knowledge is low, have no control of your kicker making kicks once the ball is snapped, or see more penalties during the game that makes you work for victories. These would all add immense drama to the game. Ultimately sim football would provide the element of the unknown which would lead to re-playability. Just my two cents.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashad19
This is a very thought provoking topic and I would have to say yes..I tend to lean toward the fact that the current engine that they are forced to use is incapable of simulating true football momentum and physics without breaking the game per say. The Watcher alluded to this during his visit at last years community day. They played a version of madden that had momentum and physics that was unseen before in the series but it was unable to make it into the final version of the game due to certain difficulties.

Supposedly there are numerous animations that don't trigger, no physics, no true pocket, no gap assignments, no sideline/end zone recognition, robo QB, etc...these are all problems tied to the engine. We have seen these problems reoccur for years now after they have been identified by the community as problems. I refuse to believe Ian and his team simply ignore these issues year after year. They most likely just don't know how to fix them within the realm of what their forced to use engine wise.

Is Madden 11 going to innovate? I really doubt it. The 1st blog was presented to us as some new sort of catching logic that is going to have a major impact on the game. Why highlight that as some new tech when it really isn't? Previous games already expressed accurate sideline/end zone catches.
This is almost exactly what I was gonna say lol.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 49

The answer is obvious. I doubt anyone would say that Madden will revamp or revolutionize there game. Its going to be some minor tweaks here and there. This isnt a insult, its just what they have done every year for as long as I can remember. We will pay $60 for a slightly updated version for as long as they continue to sell copies as such.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »