Home

Today's NFL and Madden

This is a discussion on Today's NFL and Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Today's NFL and Madden

There have been a couple of events lately that have really made me think of madden differently.

1) Terrell Owens officially cannot find an offer....from anyone.
2) Brandon Marshall, a top 5 NFL receiver is traded.
3) Ben Roethlisberger, a franchise QB is a district attorney decision away from not playing football this coming season
4) Michael Vick coming back into the league and wanting to start.(not starting for 3 years like he would have).
5) Santonio Holmes gets traded for a pack of gum.

All these situations came down to character. I would really like to see something like this brought into Madden for franchise mode. Give all players a character rating. It can change based on a players rea-life actions and all incoming generated draft players have one as well.

Guys with a low character rating can still play lights out, but are easier to trade for. Their character rating would not be hidden because we can all see when someone gets arrested or makes a dumb public statement.

I think guys with a low quarterback rating should be suspended occasionally but not normally!!!!! How many guys on average are suspended each year for conduct?(maybe 4 or 5 total)

This relates to alot of concerns I have over francise mode which is by far my favorite. I dont know how feasible my ideas are, but this is a more radical one. What do you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Today's NFL and Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favre4
There have been a couple of events lately that have really made me think of madden differently.

1) Terrell Owens officially cannot find an offer....from anyone.
2) Brandon Marshall, a top 5 NFL receiver is traded.
3) Ben Roethlisberger, a franchise QB is a district attorney decision away from not playing football this coming season
4) Michael Vick coming back into the league and wanting to start.(not starting for 3 years like he would have).
5) Santonio Holmes gets traded for a pack of gum.

All these situations came down to character. I would really like to see something like this brought into Madden for franchise mode. Give all players a character rating. It can change based on a players rea-life actions and all incoming generated draft players have one as well.

Guys with a low character rating can still play lights out, but are easier to trade for. Their character rating would not be hidden because we can all see when someone gets arrested or makes a dumb public statement.

I think guys with a low quarterback rating should be suspended occasionally but not normally!!!!! How many guys on average are suspended each year for conduct?(maybe 4 or 5 total)

This relates to alot of concerns I have over francise mode which is by far my favorite. I dont know how feasible my ideas are, but this is a more radical one. What do you guys think?
It's not a radical idea. It's a common sense. After all, "you see it on Sunday" (sort of, but you get the point).

Even with that said, I don't think we'll ever see this type of depth and attention given to franchise mode until EA loses exclusive rights. Until then, it will be about basic mundane things like "fixing stats" and "making sure progression isn't broken"- you know, things that never should've been an issue in the first place. There hasn't been anything "new" in franchise since player roles. Maybe they'll bring it back this year and call it a revolutionary "breakthrough."

Old 04-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

5 dont think it has anything to do with EA. rather the NFL limits what can be in the game, things like tattoos are prohibited cause of the image they send, I doubt they would let this fly, even though it would be SO awesome.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
Rookie

Some other ideas I have are:

-Restricted free-agents
-Bringing back the off-season screen where teams offer you trades
-Building a new stadium for an existing team.
-Scrapping the stadium upgrades.
-A scouting report for the team you are playing before the game(player movement in franchise)
-Transition tags
-The ability to front/back load contract(poison pill)
-Expanded pre-season roster
-More trades among CPU controlled teams.

I guess that is asking for alot, and I am by no means trying to change the subject of talk here. I think that player character plays a huge role in the NFL. Look at Ryan Leaf. That guy had some character. In a bad way. I just wish EA would quit acting like they dont even know what they are going to put into Madden 11 yet.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Rookie

What prevents a company from creating a game that has a football team in every city the NFL does, all with different color schemes, names, and logos. They could then create rosters which names can be changed, and all the players closely resemble the actual NFL players on that cities roster.

I know a better game can be made. The first-gen games prior to the release of PS3/XBOX 360 were better than this. Graphics and gameplay only go so far.

Does anyone remember creating an expansion team when the Texans came into the league. How sweet was that. Could you imagine hiring the first coach for a franchise and doing a expansion draft and having the first overall pick. That would make me cream my pants!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
Rookie

I would also like to say that I am not bashing EA in any way. If their contract with the NFL prevents them from creating things like a character rating, then my argument is pointless.

NBA 2K series has a personality rating(just thought you all should know that)

I understand the difficulty that goes into creating these games. I guess at the end of the day I would just like EA to be honest. If they are unable to do something/ can't find a way to do something, then own it. Just be honest and all can be forgiven.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple28Pedestrian
5 dont think it has anything to do with EA. rather the NFL limits what can be in the game, things like tattoos are prohibited cause of the image they send, I doubt they would let this fly, even though it would be SO awesome.
Yes, but the NFL didn't have such an invasive presence UNTIL EA got exclusive rights. It was part of the deal. If exclusive rights go away, the NFL becomes less meddlesome.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

Dude try not to multiple post please.
Character would be brilliant but the Nfl won't allow it. Ea are never gonna come out and say this. They have a business relationship with the Nfl no point doing anything to mess with that.
On the Ps2 version they had different roles and a player could become a team distraction which would affect the team and lower his trade value. The annoying thing about this is if M11 comes out with the exact same franchise mode from the ps2 I think we would all cream our pants and praise the dev team. But really we should have that franchise plus 5years of improvements. Makes me want to cry when I think about it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »