Home

interesting slider idea

This is a discussion on interesting slider idea within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
interesting slider idea

So i'm playing around with the bears post draft (created some rookies, added FAs, ect) and I came across something interesting. I was going through the menues to change the speed threshold setting seeing as Martz's system is based heavily on fast wideouts I wanted to see if lowering the threshold had an effect on how open the faster WRs got over the slower ones (I'm trying to make the game force me into playing fast wideouts over any others if that makes sense). Well to my surprise putting this setting to zero the game plays in a much more realistic manner.

Now I haven't tested this with fast RBs but it seems like off tackle and toss plays are no longer overly effective while other inside runs actually work. I think this is due to the backers no longer having the speed to get "sucked" inside like they usually do on those dominant run plays. Other plays such as dives and isos are given time to develop but are still slightly prone to getting blown up every now and then by a penetrating tackle as they should be.

I'm also seeing that it opens up the deep passing game a bit. Flat patterns seem to have less effectiveness although flat defenders still can be sucked in. When this happens though the defender isn't caught as far out of position and is generally able to get to the man in the flat before he can turn upfield. This is assuming there isn't a huge speed disadvantage on the defenders part but then again if the same occurred in real life I think we all would want the speedy player to be able to turn it up field anyway.

I'll keep testing exploits to see how this fairs against them. On a side note it also seems to make speed rushers act the part and get to the QB quickly. Another thing I noticed is I actually care who my pulling guard is, as a guy with a 50 speed doesn't seem to cut it on tosses, counters, power Os, screens, ect.

What do you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: interesting slider idea

Alright I just played around with some speed backs and while they faired better tosses and off tackles are only average runs with this setting. WR screens are also much more ineffective now, except against blitzes but that is exoected.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Rookie

Motioning WRs half a step no longer accelerates their route, they begin just as they would normally.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
Rookie

I'm also noticing more animation diversity, a ton of animations are showing up that were rare and even a few that I've never seen before. Gang tackling is a lot more evident and is a bigger part of gameplay now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »