Home

My attempt at cleaning up the mess that is Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on My attempt at cleaning up the mess that is Franchise Mode within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: My attempt at cleaning up the mess that is Franchise Mode

all that "other stuff" used to be in madden
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #42
Rookie

Titans4lyfe's Arena

OVR: 6

Most of the things mention in this thread were featured in NFL Head Coach 09. I wonder why they can't transfer most ,if not all, the little things from Head Coach. The replayability for that game is amazing just from the little things like player personalities and so forth.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #43
Rookie

thesublime's Arena

OVR: 4

I could fill a notebook with all th franchise improvement ideas I've had over th years.

To preface my post: Peench, I remember your running franchise last year BEFORE release. You really gave a lot of us something to feel invested in while we awaited the release.

Now, I’m going to start by posting my vision for injuries while I gather my thoughts on topics such as potential and coaching schemes.

Injuries, more often than not, can make or break a team (Colts w/o Freeny anyone?), therefore they should play a huge part in franchise mode. I’ve often thought injuries should be broken down into 3 subgroups (based on player affect): game-to-game, season, and career.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Game-to-Game level injuries are relatively minor and will only affect the injured player in smaller, inconsequential ways. These injuries may lower a specific rating by a point, based on the body part and toughness. If a RB with 90 Toughness has a heel contusion, he may not see any affect other than a slight drop in Acceleration or Agility. If a RB with the same injury has a Toughness of 75, he may see a small dip in Speed, Acceleration, and Agility. Now, a RB with this injury and 60 Toughness rating may see more significant drops and possibly even in more skill categories. Minor injuries may only last 1 game, but could last 3 weeks. It is important to note that these Game-to-Game injuries will not impact a player’s Overall Health (stay with me on this.)

Season level injuries are more serious, but more importantly, will impact your player until he is able to fully heal (at an accelerated rate if you choose to sit him). These injuries will cause a player to miss a specific amount of time, a more drastic dip in ratings, and affect his Overall Health. What is Overall Health, you may ask? Overall Health should be a percentage based system that ties into specific areas of the body. Your star QB gets a minor concussion (Troy Aikman) and he may see his Overall Health for his head area drained by 20% along with a hit to his Injury rating (of course, this should be somewhat based of a Toughness rating as well). A minor concussion would fall under the Season subgroup. The season level injuries are those affect a player more directly over a season, but should see substantial (even full) recovery to Overall Health at season’s end due either to rest or minor surgery.

Career level injuries are just….career damaging. These are your major season-enders. Your 92 RB suffers a season-ending knee injury (torn ACL, for example). Not only is this player shelved for the season, but he will take a larger hit to his Overall Health. He may lose 25% to his lower limbs, 15-20% of which can’t be regained and 5-10% that will regenerate IF he makes it a season or so without injuring his lower extremities. A major injury like this should also permanently lower his Injury and Toughness ratings by a few points, based on severity of injury. Any injury like a torn ACL should also cost your guy some Speed, Acceleration, and/or Agility.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These injuries could even be categorized by severity: Level 1 to level 5 with more substantial and damaging affects based on level.

I also think a player’s Toughness rating should deteriorate as he gets older. Bad knees basically retired Walter Jones…today. An older body can only withstand so much punishment.

Long read…I know…but I really do feel that SOME KIND OF SYSTEM is needed to realistically project the affect that injuries have on players, which in turn can affect your entire franchise.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #44
Rookie

Blkcanes's Arena

OVR: 8

To be honest I myself would want to see more teams trade players that have low morale or simply just cut them. And I would like to be able to extend, my coaches contract during the season, same with players from other teams like something that would pop up and tell us Phillip Rivers has signed a new contract or something of the sort. and after watching the Draft CAN WE PLEASE be able to trade the next year's draft pick. I think draft pick should be like players where we can edit them to which ever team how ever we want. Most of all I want to see the 3-4 used right, which would make the Free agency more fun if they signed the right person for their scheme.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #45
MVP

I Peench's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesublime
To preface my post: Peench, I remember your running franchise last year BEFORE release. You really gave a lot of us something to feel invested in while we awaited the release.

Now, I’m going to start by posting my vision for injuries while I gather my thoughts on topics such as potential and coaching schemes.
Excellent read, sublime. I couldn't agree with you more about injuries. A comprehensive injury system like you've laid out would really change the dynamic of franchise mode.

Funny you mention that Lions simmed franchise I ran pre-release. I got a couple PMs about it the other day requesting I do it again. Should be able to get my grubby little hands on the game about a week early again and would definitely be willing to do it this year. I know its what I would want a week before release. Already getting excited about who to "rebuild," with the hope that it proves to be much more difficult to assemble talent than it was with the Lions last year.

Since you brought it up (and the other two guys), thought I'd give you the opportunity to pick 4 teams (preferable 2 AFC 2 NFC) you'd like to see me run it with. Then about a week before I get it I'll put those 4 teams up and let the community vote on it. So, if you've got any suggestions, feel free to PM me...I'd love your input.

Looking forward to the rest of your thoughts. Have already contacted Josh Looman and Ian about this thread, hopefully they look it over.

Last edited by I Peench; 04-29-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #46
Rookie

thesublime's Arena

OVR: 4

So many great ideas in this thread!
Old 04-29-2010, 10:05 PM   #47
Pro

OVR: 10

I posted this awhile back but it makes more sense here, sorry to all those that have to read it again.

My 2 cents into franchise mode.

What I want from a offline dynasty mode is sorta the stuff from the playstation2/ xbox Madden 08/09. I liked all those little icons players got. Like after spending so many years (7???) you'd get a icon for it. Or if you drafted a qb with 1st rd pick it would say Future franchise player or something like that. If you averaged over 100 tackles a season you'd get a special icon. Although it sounds little those kinda things kept me interested in playing year after year. And on next gen I would think they would be able to blow the roof off on amount of icons/ rewards.

But its gotta be stuff that matters like maybe you sign a Veteran Center like Jeff Saturday and he has a Icon that improves your Lineman 3 point boosts. Or if you bring in a T.O. its lowers your teams chemistry resulting in - 2 (something like that unless you have a strong head coach then no effect).We need more risk/reward factors in Franchise. Like say my 49ers they just signed David Carr. Now that is a risk reward cause it does multiple things like 1) Pushes Alex Smith to be better, competing for his job 2) Makes Alex Smith confidence drop 3) Splits sides on team, some may prefer Smith while others Carr.
We dont get that kinda stuff in Madden. Its just play your next game. Every move needs to have an effect on a team good or bad. Thats why there needs to be a TEAM CHEMISTRY rating built into the game that actually effects players to perform to their maximum Ovr Rating. Maybe Davis Carr's 60+ OVR rating could be a 90 but he just needed the weapons that the 49ers have to show it. Or a half decent line to protect him.

Adding something like this would take Franchise mode to another level. Cause now you'd have to think about every decision you make. Like bringing in Brett Favre might make your team better right now but take away points from your young qb who thought he should start. Or another possibility would be he becomes better for it (Aaron Rodgers) Cutting a player like L.T. might be necessary due to big $$$ and average performence but it might reduce your fan numbers and team chemistry. The amount of possibilities are endless. Injuries could mean more to your whole team other than the fact you just lost that 1 player. Im sure when Brian Urlacher went down for the season his defensive confidence/chemistry took a hit (in madden result that into a -1 to -5 boost on how big of a impact player he was) But not saying if a backup comes in and does a great job the confidence/chemistry can slowly come back up.

Now drafting becomes that much important because say your O-line (like the 49ers) is close to performing at 100% of its abilities but is stuck at 80% cause of the RT position. Well now you will know that your need a good/better RT to fix the problem. But you might have another area effecting your team worst like a Safety causing your Secondary to only play at 75%. Now you must weight the options of whats more important to bring up.

Last edited by kmart2180; 04-29-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:11 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 3

i really like kmarts ideas. also what i would imporve is put each teams actual draft position into the game. for example how denver has a upcoming pick this year from chicago in the cutler trade, or philly from was in mcnabb trade etc. also if your team has dead salary cap money tied up for a few years because of letting someone go that should also reflect in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »