Home

I wonder what would happen if we nitpicked m04 like m10

This is a discussion on I wonder what would happen if we nitpicked m04 like m10 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #49
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: I wonder what would happen if we nitpicked m04 like m10

The PS1 Madden's were a joke imo. Gameday was better. Madden wasn't back on it's game until Madden 02/03 imo. NFL2k and 2k1 were a much better product (2k1 even had online play, which rocked).

People seem to forget that Madden wasn't a dominant franchise through the 90's. It had it's ups and downs. At one point, it stunk so bad they even took a year off lol.

It wasn't until the second PS2 game that it started to become the commercial juggernaut that it is now.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #50
Rookie

murdamann10's Arena

OVR: 6

You know the madden on next gen sucks when you constantly have to compare it to madden on ps2 and you see 360 is still worse today lmao
Old 05-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #51
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintari
The PS1 Madden's were a joke imo. Gameday was better. Madden wasn't back on it's game until Madden 02/03 imo. NFL2k and 2k1 were a much better product (2k1 even had online play, which rocked).
The first Gameday was great (minus the incredibly awful interception problem where INT's were sometimes more plentiful than completions), but like Madden I didn't care for it after it went polygonal. I couldn't stomach Gameday after 97, and Madden 97 and 98 had far better presentation (Gameday had none at all in '96, '97 or '98), booth play-by-play commentary, and had a more serious air about it. Heck, they had the real life Madden and Summeral on screen talking in the booth, and the real life James Brown in studio... if they'd only kept building on that instead of flushing it down the toilet in '99 and up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintari
People seem to forget that Madden wasn't a dominant franchise through the 90's. It had it's ups and downs. At one point, it stunk so bad they even took a year off lol.

It wasn't until the second PS2 game that it started to become the commercial juggernaut that it is now.
They didn't take the year off because the entire series was bad or because it wasn't selling. Madden never really sold poorly. They cancelled Madden '96 for PS1 (their first 32-bit attempt) because Visual Concepts created a piece of garbage, had poor QA of it, and missed crucial deadlines. I've played the unfinished copy of Madden '96 for PS1, and it was a mess. That opened the door for Gameday to take center stage, but if Madden had come out with '96 I think history would've been different there. The first Gameday was a surprise to everybody that it was so good, but there was so much buzz around Madden 96 for PS1, I just don't see how Gameday would've even been heard over all of it if Madden had made it to market.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #52
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
Does it really matter?
What matters is the fact that after 6 versions of Madden,and a console upgrade,suction blocking is STILL used as a means of holding a block.
Suction blocking wasn't a problem until 06 when they tried to kill nanos with that and random blitzing angles.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #53
Pro

lgxjames's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
Suction blocking wasn't a problem until 06 when they tried to kill nanos with that and random blitzing angles.
which games was it that a half back toss was a TD every play
Old 05-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #54
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
Oh really? I thought you might say that,so......does this ring any bells?
Yeah I did say that but I didn't say "hope you like..." as you said earlier.

So yeah, it was different.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #55
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
Yeah I did say that but I didn't say "hope you like..." as you said earlier.

So yeah, it was different.
O.M.G....I've heard it all now..
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #56
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
The first Gameday was great (minus the incredibly awful interception problem where INT's were sometimes more plentiful than completions), but like Madden I didn't care for it after it went polygonal. I couldn't stomach Gameday after 97, and Madden 97 and 98 had far better presentation (Gameday had none at all in '96, '97 or '98), booth play-by-play commentary, and had a more serious air about it. Heck, they had the real life Madden and Summeral on screen talking in the booth, and the real life James Brown in studio... if they'd only kept building on that instead of flushing it down the toilet in '99 and up...
Yeah I remember Madden '98 having really good presentation. I didn't play '99 that much (I didn't have it but my friend did so I would play the game over his house) but when I bought and played Madden 2000 I wondered what happened to the things they had for presentation. They replaced the football-TV-broadcast-sounding Madden theme song with Ludacris shouting out of his lungs, "MAAAAAAN GET OUT MY WAY!!!" lol.

Think that when they went polygonal that they had to use more memory and therefore they had to scrap the presentation elements to make more room?

Last edited by Bgamer90; 05-08-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »