Home

Running backs splitting time

This is a discussion on Running backs splitting time within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
Rookie

toolawyer's Arena

OVR: 2
Running backs splitting time

I play as the Eagles and have just started to run a 3 back system(McCoy, computer gen Jesus Smith and Samkon Gado). Only problem is the fact that the only sensible rotation with game plan on is to just use third down back and wait for guys to wear out on other downs.

So I guess I will have to manually rotate backs when not on third down. I would like to know what decent ratios are in your opinion for a three back system not including the odd full back run (Weaver). I was thinking Mccoy 65/70% smith at 20% and gado/ weaver the rest of the time.

And another point. Is it better to divide individual carries or just assign a runner to any given down?

Any help is gratefully received.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Running backs splitting time

I use a 2 back system with Bradshaw and Jacobs. I just manually put them in certain packages out the playbook with plays I like to call. It usally balances out. Hopefully they fix this on 12. I have a big issue with this because there's alot of 2 and some 3 back systems in the league and even if you go to coaching scheme and fix it they still don't split carries.. It would be great if they fix this on 12 for real..
Old 02-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
I have a big issue with this because there's alot of 2 and some 3 back systems in the league and even if you go to coaching scheme and fix it they still don't split carries.. It would be great if they fix this on 12 for real..
Coaching scheme has no effect whatsoever on actually played games, it only comes in effect for simmed games, as I understand it.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
Coaching scheme has no effect whatsoever on actually played games, it only comes in effect for simmed games, as I understand it.

The aggression slider and pass/run slider does but rest of them don't... Thats something they need to fix for franchise mode on 12.. There's alot of 2 back systems in the league now..
Old 02-25-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
Rookie

toolawyer's Arena

OVR: 2

Yes. I agree that this needs fixing in 12. It is possible I suppose to manually call each play and alter the packages to use the second back but I think you have to still do that each and every game which is annoying and eats the clock. Besides the issue is the fact that I can't just alternate as part of the game plan feature, which I don't let select my plays for me as it frequently calls total garbage.

By the way do you guys think the way I am splitting carries at the moment sounds about right? I need McCoy on third down as he is also great at catching. Smith is awesome 86 A potential in his second year but he catches about as well as a fish trying to use a knife and fork but his trucking ability is second to none. Gado is a jack of all trades and I want to give him some work but hevis really there in case of injury to my top two backs.

Basically my run game is ok with McCoy. I was using him every down at one stage but he has fumbling issues and I wanted to spice things up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolawyer
Yes. I agree that this needs fixing in 12. It is possible I suppose to manually call each play and alter the packages to use the second back but I think you have to still do that each and every game which is annoying and eats the clock. Besides the issue is the fact that I can't just alternate as part of the game plan feature, which I don't let select my plays for me as it frequently calls total garbage.

By the way do you guys think the way I am splitting carries at the moment sounds about right? I need McCoy on third down as he is also great at catching. Smith is awesome 86 A potential in his second year but he catches about as well as a fish trying to use a knife and fork but his trucking ability is second to none. Gado is a jack of all trades and I want to give him some work but hevis really there in case of injury to my top two backs.

Basically my run game is ok with McCoy. I was using him every down at one stage but he has fumbling issues and I wanted to spice things up.
No if you manually put him in that package he will be there every game until you take him out and plug someone else in.. I have Bradshaw in Jacobs in different formation. I have Jacobs in all my power formations and Bradshaw in my single back and other formation where hes getting to the outside..
Old 02-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10

Something that also needs to be fixed is the FB running even if you turn the slider to 0 and blocking.

I like Greg Jones but I want him blocking not running 60+ times a season.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 9

To answer your questions on how many carries guys should get. Figure your main back gets 20-25 carries and your backup 5-10. Most teams pass about 30 times per game give or take. A few teams are more run oriented or pass oriented.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »