Home

Why keep it a secret?

This is a discussion on Why keep it a secret? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: Why keep it a secret?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlw322
Also for the sale of NCAA, they try to push promotion on NCAA 1st until it gets release. And then come out with the real big news during the last month. Not for last year, but for many previous years.
Now that is a good point, I did not think of NCAA. Especially on years where Madden trumps NCAA on features, I suppose they would not want people to skip it in favor of Madden. That makes more sense to me than just keeping up the hype.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #10
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang911
Their idea of marketing is to hold out information to build up the hype.
somewhat, but we all have to remember, these guys dont pay their developers to be salesman neither. I mean, the devs hype the game, but they are more like "Hey look what I did, cant wait for you to play the game I made for you!"

EA Hires a full team of marketing people and the devs need to let them do their job. I know people trash the marketing team anf the way they always do business but the fact is that besides the superbowl(which they usually release a tid-bit) and the draft(rookie screens), its just not goo business to spend a lot of time marketing a game 5 months before its released during baseball season and the NHL and NBA playoffs. Once the NHL and NBA end and baseball is in the dog days, Everything is about Madden and thats what they spend their money on. June-OCT/NOV is the "Marketing season".

Unfortunately what this also means is that the "cool stuff" needs to wait to be released. They let the devs talk up gameflow and a new locomotion system but things like online franchise, etc are released in a controlled environment (Like E3 or a commercial at midnight on spike in July,etc)

its just the way it goes and it sucks, but its not unusual, its actually pretty standard. They pay the Marketing guys the same, even without competition, and they still have to do their job the same. Just like the Devs continue making the game, life goes on without competition the same way it does with it.

imo, the only difference is the competition marketing, like 4 out of 5 gamers prefer Madden over 2k,etc, things like that are gone, they can focus on "everything on Sunday" and little gimmicks that 2k would rip apart if they made a game.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:31 AM   #11
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverYoung8
I think EA gets picked apart regardless, personally.

I can totally understand them leaving out details on something that may or may not make it (like stadium chants last year should have not been mentioned if they couldn't do it). But I'm talking about the "for-sure" stuff. Like Presentation. Ian's already stated on his twitter that presentation has been added in/to. Since they already know the extent of it being in game, I'd rather know now instead of "waiting for E3". Obviously this is just my opinion and reflects on nobody but myself.
Well I know all of us wants the info. But honestly there is nothing we can do a bout it. Unless we get some blogs on franchise mode and other stuff yet to be reveiled. We have to wait until the E3 show in mid June. What more can I say. Just been straight forward with you. The only people who have the answers to why EA holds back info until the last second is the marketing department. Fans have no control over it. We are just the people who buy the products and not make them. I wish I could give you a better answer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2010, 12:43 AM   #12
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
I've always wondered why they keep all the info for Madden a secret up until E3. In the olden days, I'm sure it was to make sure that they didn't reveal their hand too quickly because of competition but what's the reason now?

I'm just always surprised that we have to wait to hear about presentation, franchise (off and online), gameplay, etc. Obviously some things might not make it in that they are planning, but why keep all of the confirmed, in-game information a secret?

(and Pantherbeast, please hold the "just wait. til E3 bro. cause that's when they'll. show everything. And Ian will ride. out on his white horse and show everyone what is. in ARE not in. )
ROTFL. That was priceless

Last edited by Only1LT; 05-26-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:29 AM   #13
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Marketing.

Save the best for last (as determined by the marketing department, not necessarily what we consider the best) and begin your marketing onslaught (to the masses, not the minority on video game forums.)

That's the way it's always been.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #14
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer
Well I know all of us wants the info. But honestly there is nothing we can do a bout it. Unless we get some blogs on franchise mode and other stuff yet to be reveiled. We have to wait until the E3 show in mid June. What more can I say. Just been straight forward with you. The only people who have the answers to why EA holds back info until the last second is the marketing department. Fans have no control over it. We are just the people who buy the products and not make them. I wish I could give you a better answer.
There it is, could feel it coming. Do you copy and paste, or actually take the time to retype this 8 billion times a day??
Old 05-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #15
Pro

brza37's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Now that is a good point, I did not think of NCAA. Especially on years where Madden trumps NCAA on features, I suppose they would not want people to skip it in favor of Madden. That makes more sense to me than just keeping up the hype.
Yeah, I think NCAA is a big reason too. But I don't understand why they release two football games within a month of each other in the first place. I know if they wait till July to release they can have more accurate rosters in NCAA but seriously that could be updated post-release. I never buy buy both games just for the fact that once Madden comes out I have to choose and one game ends up collecting dust. If they released NCAA in May or even early June I'd be much more inclined to buy both games because at least I'd get a couple months of play out of them both.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2010, 07:59 AM   #16
All Star

OVR: 33

At most I can play NCAA for 2 weeks until Madden comes out.

That's crazy. And then when i'm bored of Madden its another 4-6 months to wait for a new ncaa game.

Crazy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »