Home

Any meaning to Preseason?

This is a discussion on Any meaning to Preseason? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10
Any meaning to Preseason?

Has there been anything said about preseason games? Like, will they have any meaning such as cpu teams having position battles and player ratings making slight changes based on preseason performance or anything else?

I looked around and could not come up with any info. Just wanted to make sure I did not miss anything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Any meaning to Preseason?

nah...you haven't missed anything as franchise info hasn't been released. But I sure hope they made pre-season relevant this year.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

No there has not been any mention of offline franchise mode info yet. Hopefully within the next 2 weeks we will get some info on franchise mode.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 16

Would be nice if they brought pre season battles back

2K sports...the only place where such things as errors can be "over looked" while making a baseball game.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10

Hopefully we get 80 man rosters and PS in Madden this year. More work for them and it might give EA the excuse to bring in a group of people to do the ratings instead of one guy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperhare
Hopefully we get 80 man rosters and PS in Madden this year. More work for them and it might give EA the excuse to bring in a group of people to do the ratings instead of one guy.
I doubt very seriouly there will be a 80 roster anytime so. It was already mention the 53 man roster was set for this year for madden. But 80 man roster will not happen this year.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer
I doubt very seriouly there will be a 80 roster anytime so. It was already mention the 53 man roster was set for this year for madden. But 80 man roster will not happen this year.
No reason to have an 80 man roster in the main menu of the game, that's not to say that the rosters don't expand in the off-season tho (Head Coach 09 did it.) Expanded rosters normally come into play with signing undrafted free agents anyway (something else that Head Coach 09 had that Madden needs to do a better job of)

They could take a page right out of HC 09's book and allow us to start the very first year of our franchise in the offseason. So that way your rosters are already expanded and you can fill those roster spots with the free agency, draft, and undrafted FA.

But that has nothing to do with "game ready" 53 man rosters. You need the 53 for exhibition and online games, 80 man rosters only happen for a few months and none of those months are represented anywhere in the game other than franchise, and like you said a few posts ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer
No there has not been any mention of offline franchise mode info yet. Hopefully within the next 2 weeks we will get some info on franchise mode.
So there's no way for us to know if our rosters expand during the offseason in franchise.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

OVR: 9

Preseason should be about 3 things:

- determining starters
- making cuts to get to 53 (and to create a 8 man practice squad)
- giving younger guys playing time (progression)

Old gen Madden had the position battles, which although flawed (ie an 80 ovr could take a 85 ovr spot if he had 1 more reception in preseason), was still a nice idea that created that element of competition within the team that seems to be missing in these games.

Old gen Madden also had decent enough progression in the preseason, although it seemed random at times. I'm not sure what the status of progression in preseason is for current gen stuff.

And, of course, we'll never get to experience the cutting and setting the 53 man roster aspect of preseason (which is probably the most important element) until we get expanded rosters, which i believe we've been told won't be happening this year.

The value of preseason is questioned even IRL, so when you bring to the video game world and remove most of the important elements, it becomes even more worthless. I would say the one good thing about it in Madden is that it allows you to get familiar with your team in a game situation, maybe see how much of a deep threat the newly acquired WR is, or how accurate your 2nd string rookie QB is, or if your wily ol SS still has the speed needed to get the job done. So in that sense, it's still valuable. Would love for them to add elements of the other three areas though. If you won't give us 80 man rosters, even something like 62 would be fine, and then we could maybe cut to 53 and keep 5 people on a practice squad. idk....something

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »