Home

Community off base this year, hurting Madden

This is a discussion on Community off base this year, hurting Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #73
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Community off base this year, hurting Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
But now your using speculation to substantiate something that wasn't substantiated, lol.

Because you're a hardcore franchise player, you look at "HUGE" and see something close to 100% or something, but that's not rational.

As a simple rule of thumb, a developer is not going to take a year off and tell the public so, if they know it's the feature that sells their game. That would be like Burger King telling you the Whopper no longer comes with a Beef pattie, just everything else. But franchise is not to Madden as a beef pattie is to the Whopper. I know you want to believe it is, but you're ignoring what's happening right in front of you (i.e. them telling you there is nothing for franchise this year) in print. Then when the sales come in and they're still similar or greater than 10 (and they will be), will you still hold on to this idea?

No one is saying franchise doesn't matter or that a significant amount of people don't play it, it's just that when they sell this game to the public, their back-of-the-box features and what they've poured millions into marketing is what sells the game. That's the same concept for any product in any field. When franchise starts getting National commercials and feature spreads, then there will be a real argument against it, but I'm pretty certain that this is not going to happen anytime soon, not even next year regardless of how many upgrades they may make to it.
WTF? Are you practicing to be a lawyer or something lol? It's in black and white. Ian Cummings said the numbers of people playing franchise mode is huge. Either way you want to look at it, that means that a large number of people play franchise.

I never said that I thought it was 100%. Now YOU'RE using speculation to substantiate your argument. First of all I'm not a hardcore franchise player. Madden 10 was the first time I played franchise since I played Madden 07 on PS2. I usually play online, but slow speed forced me play offline franchise and offline head to head exclusively. Having said that, I am the only one of all the people that I know with Madden, that didn't play franchise mode and that was mostly due to franchise mode on next gen being total crap. Secondly, a developer may take a year off from a feature if they are focusing on trying to get a different demographic for their game ie casuals. Man, I said I didn't want to get in the back and forth again, but you almost drew me in lol. I'm gonna stop here before I really get started. It's right there. Believe it if you want or not, I don't care. At this point, I'm pouring the ketchup out to show you that it's red and you're still trying to convince me that it's green. I'm gonna stop wasting all my ketchup trying to prove something to you that you will never believe is true.

Last edited by splff3000; 06-21-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #74
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
But now you're using speculation to attempt to substantiate something that wasn't substantiated, lol.
Were do you get that Huge means 100% to some? Doesn't Huge imply substantial? It sure doesn't imply insignificant to me.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #75
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

By "trap" I mean the belief that the only reason to buy a game is one that has improvements that are are overtly obvious ones. Gameplay tuning and significant and subtle improvements can make a game worlds better than some graphical enhancements or new game modes. I agree the game isn't where it should be but improving the core gameplay is going to get it there much quicker than fiddling with a bunch of new modes and things like that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #76
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
This
Cute...but that doesn't trump what I said. I don't think Ian is a liar as some OSers do, but I also don't hang on to every syllable of what he (or anyone else online) says and try to make interpretations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
Either you guys are just going on about something that you don't know about or Ian just flat out lied to the community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
Huge=limitless

Marketing word..
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Huge implies significant.
Quote:
Because you're a hardcore franchise player, you look at "HUGE" and see something close to 100% or something, but that's not rational.
Agreeing with TheWatcher here and this comes from a guy who exclusively plays franchise. If the franchise numbers were as huge as you guys are suggesting, franchise would be the big feature this year, or the year before, or the year before. But it's not and the game is still moving units.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #77
MVP

OVR: 12

BTW - the community is not hurting Madden, EA-Tiburon is.

I love how the Maddenites are blaming the community instead of the developers for a lack of interest in the game.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #78
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
Well, we've had our little back and forth about this before, so I really don't think we need to get into it again, but I'm sure you can show that sentence to 100 people and 99 of them will conclude that he is saying that it is a popular feature. If you don't see it that way, that's cool for you. I don't wanna get started on back and forth again. 99 people see it as saying one thing, but there's always that 1 that sees something else.
I interpret Ian's words as him knowing he's in a community full of franchise players. What did you expect him to say? We shouldn't be so guillible. You got pumped up on some minor franchise tweaks last year and got beat, and then this year you're getting nothing. When will you learn?

Popularity has different levels. You don't know how popular it is in numbers, you're just basing it on yourself, online sites, and people you know. If they came out and said they didn't touch gameplay that would be a real mushroom cloud. But franchise? Ha. Like it was said, Madden's sales won't be affected. OS has to realize it doesn't speak for the entire fanbase. Most of what gets complained about here, nobody outside of these sites cares about or even notices for that matter.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #79
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
By "trap" I mean the belief that the only reason to buy a game is one that has improvements that are are overtly obvious ones. Gameplay tuning and significant and subtle improvements can make a game worlds better than some graphical enhancements or new game modes.

It's not a new mode. It's modes that were taken out and not put back in or replaced with something better. No reason at all for these "un new" modes to still not be in the game.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #80
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Think about your casual sports friends buddies, do they play franchise? I know of at least 4 or 5 guys I'm friends with and they never go into franchise. They either play online head to head or play exhibitions vs. the computer. My friend Mike and I were talking last night and he said he hadn't done franchise since sometime in the PS2 days.

The reason for that, in my opinion anyways, is a lot of Madden gamers are older gamers with a wife and/or kids and just don't have time to devote to franchise but can devote a little bit of time to random games vs. friends or online opponents. That's just my opinion anyways.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »