Home

Players ratings still too high.

This is a discussion on Players ratings still too high. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Players ratings still too high.

I just thinmk they should spread the attributes out. The slowest player should be a 1 and the fastest a 99. They could do so much with that. Right now they have LBs just as fast as most RBs and thats just not realistic. Theres are LBs faster than CBs. Sometimes there are cases where they are faster but its the majority. Its just not realistic that Thomas Howard has 89 speed and thats only 10 shy of CJ speed. He had the same speed as Nick Collins (FS for Packers) who ran a 4.3 40. How did that happen?
Old 06-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #18
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17

I'm not sure that I agree that the slowest player should be a 1...but I do agree that we need to look at ratings and say "We have a scale from 1 to 99...what's the median value? 50..okay, an NFL player who is AVERAGE at a certain measurable (such as speed, awareness, throw power, etc) is going to have a 50, or something close to it."

This would mean that we can really see the difference...it doesn't mean we should strive to get all 80s and 90s on our teams, because we'd still have to look at the specific ratings...but we'd know that they aren't going to light the world on fire either...I mean, a lot of players aren't anything really special...they're role players...average players who do one or two things really well...

Carolina Panthers - NC State Wolfpack - Charlotte Hornets - Brisbane Roar FC - VfB Stuttgart
Old 06-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #19
Pro

Mr_Riddick's Arena

OVR: 17

Speaking of editing I wonder if we are able to fully edit player weight, hieght ect. This year?
Old 06-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 6

The op is right on. They overrate the players.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #21
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Here's the explanation about the new ratings posted last year:
-----------------------------------------------
Actual Post HERE

Madden NFL 10 Player Ratings – A New Philosophy, a New Era
Posted On: Feb. 9, 2009 3:03 PM EST By: raczilla 331 Comments

Hey guys, we thought it would be a perfect time to share something that I am personally very excited about for Madden NFL 10. We took each and every rating in the game (over 50+ player ratings) and scaled them up/down in a way that is now using much more of the scale. I like to describe it around the office like this…”We basically stretched out the ratings.” We want to use more of the numbers so we get a bigger, more noticeable affect in the game.

Let me give you guys an example….in Madden NFL 09 all of the WR’s Route Running ratings ranged from 62-99. In the current Madden NFL 10 build, WR’s now check in from 35-99. To counter this on the defensive side, all CB’s in Madden NFL 09 had a Man Coverage rating which ranged from 64-99. Now in Madden NFL 10, CB’s Man Coverage range is currently 40-99.

Every position and every rating has been re-scaled to expand the range of numbers we are dealing with. The Overall Rating for your average NFL player has dropped. Your Joe Average linebacker who was 80 OVR is now dropped down to 70. The players who were before right on the cusp of 90 in a rating category are now down around 85-88…Meaning, there are fewer superstar players out there. Before, where you could maybe get by throwing to your slot WR who had 93 SPD, with 74 ROUTES, and 77 Catching…now in Madden NFL 10, that guy is going to have like 91 SPD, 60-65 ROUTES and anywhere from 65-70 Catching. Let me tell you, these rating drops make a big difference when that slot rookie WR with 90+ speed now drops every 3rd pass or so, or just simply cannot get open.

The superstars have not been affected however, this is intentional. Peyton is still 99 OVR, Patrick Willis a 99, Larry Fitz is 99, etc. The elite players at rating categories have not been affected either (JaMarcus Russell still has a 98 Throw Power and Chris Johnson still rated 99 Speed). [Side note: One of my personal goals is to have the actual NFL players in Madden NFL 10 look like their real-life counterparts and play to their strengths and weaknesses like never before in a football video game.]

Speaking of the Speed, which is always a hot topic, we made some major changes with the infamous SPD rating as well. To give you a great example, I will again go back to WR and CB. In Madden NFL 09, the WR SPD range was 85-100…CB was 87-99.

In Madden NFL 10, WR SPD range is currently 70-100…CB is currently 75-99. So as you may or may not tell, the SPD range has been pushed down, in our opinions, to better reflect the “sim-gameplay” style that Ian and Phil have been telling you about all winter long. This SPD change has been updated for each position, so it makes a huge game play affect.

Ian and I had a game the other day where Earnest Graham broke one up the middle for a 55 yard touchdown run… and he could not be caught!…E-Grahams’ Madden NFL 10 current SPD rating….80 SPD. That should give you a good sense of what is possible with the new ratings. It’s not all about having the 90+ SPD anymore. On this particular run, Ian’s CB’s got hung up against some blockers and all I had to do was beat one safety and Graham was gone! He had Brandon Jacobs and his 85 SPD breaking some long runs as well. On the flip side of bigger/slower backs, Chris Johnson is absolutely lethal right now. You can actually get him outside with sweeps now and he is a beast to stop. But again, we are constantly tuning the gameplay, we have an entire team dedicated to that and they are some of the best people we have in the building.

So there you have it, player ratings are in for a major overhaul this year and I am really excited already with the impact they are having on the early builds of the game. And rest assured, we are well aware of the outside impacts this will have….Rookies will now come into the league based on the new ranges, NCAA Import guys are being tuned as well…Progression has been accounted for as well to better reflect breakout stars and burned-out former stars. Meaning, we want to have bigger jumps in OVR this year, both positive and negative. That’s all for now, probably gave away too much already!

Would love to hear any feedback about this big new change in the way we do player ratings. I’d be happy to answer any questions regarding the new rating ranges….please no individual ratings questions, not answering those! Stay tuned for more Madden player rating related blogs in the future!

- Donny Moore – Madden NFL 10 Designer

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2010, 12:27 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 4

I agree, the ratings need to be more stretched, but there should be 99s. When did EA say that a 99 was a perfect player? A 99 is supposed to represent the standard of best player in the NFL. However, when there are as many 99s as there are, its a bit ridiculous. I do kind of like you idea of 99 being a perfect player. But IDK if I like it as much as the current system.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:08 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Madden has done better in the last few year's in this department, but there is still room for improvements. I'm sure the development teams takes the real player ego into consideration when rating players (and ofcourse they look out for the coverboy) ,but just looking at the top players at each position I have to say players are still too high.

A 99 being the highest a player can go is a prefect player. Sorry but there are zero perfect players in the NFL IMO. And even if we where basing the ratings on all time greats we still should have zero 99's.

More specifically guys like Chris Johnson who has not been in the league long enough to even play at a consistent level to be rated a 99. Once again every player in the league has areas of their game which could be improved which means no 99's.
I agree and the lack of true stretch out ratings really hurts NCAA as well.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:17 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 12

99 doesn't mean the player is perfect, it can mean anything the developer wants it to be. Maybe 135 is a perfect player. 100 % may mean an A in real life, but that doesn't mean a 99 in this videogame means 1% away from perfect.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »