Home

This is YOUR CHANCE to make a difference in Madden Ratings!

This is a discussion on This is YOUR CHANCE to make a difference in Madden Ratings! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #65
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: This is YOUR CHANCE to make a difference in Madden Ratings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
I definitely agree with standardization and have said so in my previous posts on this thread. I also have been thinking about the current premise of AWR(awareness) and OVR(overall) ratings. I think AWR should basically be that players knowledge of their position and have little, if any, association with their skill. Their skill at any given position should be only reflected in their OVR.

Here is what I mean, in Madden there can be players that have been in the NFL for 7+ years and still have low awareness at their specific position. There can also be rookies that come in with high awareness. I dont agree with this because NFL veterans should be knowledgable(AWR) of their NFL positions just by having played them so long. Veterans get signed based alot based on their AWR and get released alot based on their diminishing position skill sets(OVR).

In Madden, rookies and young guys can have better, equal or lower OVR than NFL vets but should rarely have higher AWR in their early years, IMO. Michael Jordan had loads of talent and skill(OVR)as a guard, wish increased throughout his young NBA years but eventually peeked. It has his knowledge of the game(AWR) that was limitless and eventually grew to make him the greatest ever. Same thing with Jerry Rice, Payton Manning, Dieon Sanders etc.

OVR should represent the players position skill and AWR should represent the players position knowledge. Good OVR/low AWR-exceptional skill set/minimal knowledge(high draft pick). Low OVR/good AWR-minimal skill set/exceptional knowledge(future coach/coordinator). Average OVR/average AWR-basic knowledge/basic skill set(backup/special teams). Low OVR/Low AWR-minimal skill set/minimal knowledge(practice squad). Good OVR/Good AWR-exceptional skill set/exceptional knowledge(NFL starter).Good OVR/High AWR-exceptional skill set/elite knowledge(pro bowl caliber). High OVR/Good AWR-elite skill set/exceptional knowledge(team leaders). High OVR/High AWR-elite skill set/elite knowledge(Hall of Fame caliber). Also, all the other combinations I didnt list that fall between these.

This uses the current rating system and allows for more realistic risk/reward with team personnel decisions, IMO. What do you think?
WOW! I like this idea a lot! Great info man! I have thought that perhaps using the awareness as a meter for knowledge would be possible. IE: the more years that you incur while in the league, the higher your awareness. Or, the number of years since your drafted year, the higher your awareness. I find it hard to believe that a guy who spends 4 years in the league is less aware than in his 2nd year like we have seen with some awareness drops from EA in the past. In fact, I get the feeling that the Awareness rating was simply a carry-over rating to increase or decrease an overall after the skill ratings or raw attributes (SPD, ACC, AGI, JMP, etc.) were calculated. How many times do you see a speedy WR with a 90 SPD but only an awareness of 42? Too often! This even happens to guys who are 5 year pros!

I think I have a cool solution for this. Thanks man!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2010, 03:48 AM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 6

Some Charger's things I noticed. Floyd, Reed and Davis (WRs) are not equal IRL and Cason is better than Vasher IRL and finally Sproles should be lower than 86 there is no way he is equal to Michael Turner.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #67
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAM3R4LYF3
Some Charger's things I noticed. Floyd, Reed and Davis (WRs) are not equal IRL and Cason is better than Vasher IRL and finally Sproles should be lower than 86 there is no way he is equal to Michael Turner.
If you read the first post you would realize that the ratings are not updated for every player. This includes Floyd, Reed, Davis, and Cason as well as Sproles and Turner.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #68
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

Here is a question:

Since most of you all want a standardization and evidence for it though combine times would you like to see the broad jump results factor into a players JMP ability or just the vertical jump? Would you like to see the shuttle factor into acceleration or just the 10yd time? Give me your feedback please...
Old 07-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #69
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
Here is a question:

Since most of you all want a standardization and evidence for it though combine times would you like to see the broad jump results factor into a players JMP ability or just the vertical jump? Would you like to see the shuttle factor into acceleration or just the 10yd time? Give me your feedback please...
I think just the vertical jump for Madden ratings because I believe that's what they are refering to. JMP seems to be how high a player in-game can jump veritcally, IMO. As for ACC, I dont know but I dont think it will matter much as along as the same standard is being used for every player.

This is all a great idea DCEBB and I have been giving it alot of thought. However, like another poster said, for you to go through all this work only to have drafted players basically come in and not adhere to these calculations would be counter productive, IMO. If you know that EA is going to adopt them for Madden online games or even transition them in the entire game, than that's different. Im not trying to be discouraging, Im just trying to to be realistic. EAs' track record with next-gen Madden and consumer suggestions, even when they are great ones, should be considered, IMO. This is going to be quite a bit of work calculating all these equations to better utilize Madden player ratings, IMO.

T(time) + W(work) x U(usage) = EA changing Madden?

I hope it does.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #70
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
I think just the vertical jump for Madden ratings because I believe that's what they are refering to. JMP seems to be how high a player in-game can jump veritcally, IMO. As for ACC, I dont know but I dont think it will matter much as along as the same standard is being used for every player.

This is all a great idea DCEBB and I have been giving it alot of thought. However, like another poster said, for you to go through all this work only to have drafted players basically come in and not adhere to these calculations would be counter productive, IMO. If you know that EA is going to adopt them for Madden online games or even transition them in the entire game, than that's different. Im not trying to be discouraging, Im just trying to to be realistic. EAs' track record with next-gen Madden and consumer suggestions, even when they are great ones, should be considered, IMO. This is going to be quite a bit of work calculating all these equations to better utilize Madden player ratings, IMO.

T(time) + W(work) x U(usage) = EA changing Madden?

I hope it does.
Well regardless of what the guys at EA do and say I still have to maintain the website. I would rather be the one who listens to the public before our stuff is published. To quote our parent site:

"Since 1987, the Sports Xchange Publishing companies have been the best source of analysis, perspective and insight for the top professionals in sports, including teams, web sites, video games, television and radio.

During the last decade, The Sports Xchange publishing companies became primary content providers for for the top destinations on the internet --America Online, CBS SportsLine, Foxsports.com, MSNBC, Compuserve, Yahoo! Lycos, DirecTV, and many others.

The Sports Xchange network has covered more than 560 teams in pro and college plus 50 NASCAR driving teams (per car). The Sports Xchange network was the creative force behind more than 130,000 unique products, including daily audio reports in the four major professional team sports and the acclaimed TV series "Beyond The Glory," on Fox Sports Network.

By design, The Sports Xchange is more than a dot com business. It is a multi-faceted sports information resource. TSX supplies year-round team reports, columns, and daily custom premium products, as well as player analysis. These fulfill needs from personal fantasy reports to entire sports sites for major online publishers.

TSX is a complete editorial and publishing company that creates "content on-demand" for use offline or online. It is a turnkey, editorial department staffed with writers, editors and administrators.

Using these resources, TSX helped produce numerous books and magazines. Most notable among them is USA TODAY Sports Weekly. Others include Lindy's Annuals, Joe Montana's "Red Zone," Terry Bradshaw's Fantasy Football Preview, John Benson's Fantasy Baseball and Football Previews, Bill Walsh's Online Draft Analysis, and more.

TSX utilizes its unique technical and personnel resources to fulfill such custom orders as the intricate player ratings for video games, including John Madden Football, March Madness and College Football by Electronic Arts and similar electronic games companies, including Fox Interactive and Microsoft."

The FBG website is one of the primary sites for us and we are looking to reopen it full time. That is why I am giving it all the attention we can. We are also planning on opening an NCAA football website with NCAA ratings in the near future so be on the look out for that.

That being said, it is quite important to me to come up with something that the real gamers would like to see out of a realistic ratings experience in Madden and NCAA football. So to me the T+WxU is worth it...
Old 07-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #71
Banned

OVR: 1

IMO Awareness should have some control of techniques a player can use. For instance awareness should affect how well a QB can throw a ball to the sidelines or how effective they are at slipping tackles in the pocket. It should also be some kind of clutch factor for 2 min drills.

A RB should be the types of jukes they do. The juke rating should be its effectiveness but with higher awareness would make the juke move look quicker and more crisp. Same with the spin. With higher awareness also the stiff arm should protect the ball a little better.

A WR should no to drag his toes at the sidelines, the way they time their jumps for jump balls, the way they catch certain passes with their body or their hands.

Offensive lineman should just come down to how well they pick up blitzs and rushers and if they just pancake the rusher or shove him out the way. It should also determine how much they hold, clip, and false start.

Defensive lineman should really just be the different pass rush moves they can do. If you have high awareness you can perform more rush moves and each one is more effective than the last. It could also determine going offsides and how much they facemask.

LB should be a lot like defensive linemans. Awareness can determine how much they facemask, how well they react to tipped passes, and their tackling technique like whether they wrap up and go for the strip, just wrap up, or throw their body into the ball carrier. Also it could help with how they read routes.

CBs should determine their pass interference (Which is a very under rated thing in Madden), how they read routes, how they time their jumps, whether they know to swat a ball or go for an INT, etc.

The safeties should be a lot like the CBs and LBs combined. It should affect how they use help coverage and shift from receiver to receiver when in zones.

Awareness for kickers should just be a clutch factor and how much wind affects their kicks.

Awareness for punters could affect they type of back spin they put on a ball so it rolls from outside the 20 to inside the 20 or if it bounces back landing close to the goal line.

Something like that. But awareness has to be made a bigger part of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #72
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasfavres
IMO Awareness should have some control of techniques a player can use. For instance awareness should affect how well a QB can throw a ball to the sidelines or how effective they are at slipping tackles in the pocket. It should also be some kind of clutch factor for 2 min drills.

A RB should be the types of jukes they do. The juke rating should be its effectiveness but with higher awareness would make the juke move look quicker and more crisp. Same with the spin. With higher awareness also the stiff arm should protect the ball a little better.

A WR should no to drag his toes at the sidelines, the way they time their jumps for jump balls, the way they catch certain passes with their body or their hands.

Offensive lineman should just come down to how well they pick up blitzs and rushers and if they just pancake the rusher or shove him out the way. It should also determine how much they hold, clip, and false start.

Defensive lineman should really just be the different pass rush moves they can do. If you have high awareness you can perform more rush moves and each one is more effective than the last. It could also determine going offsides and how much they facemask.

LB should be a lot like defensive linemans. Awareness can determine how much they facemask, how well they react to tipped passes, and their tackling technique like whether they wrap up and go for the strip, just wrap up, or throw their body into the ball carrier. Also it could help with how they read routes.

CBs should determine their pass interference (Which is a very under rated thing in Madden), how they read routes, how they time their jumps, whether they know to swat a ball or go for an INT, etc.

The safeties should be a lot like the CBs and LBs combined. It should affect how they use help coverage and shift from receiver to receiver when in zones.

Awareness for kickers should just be a clutch factor and how much wind affects their kicks.

Awareness for punters could affect they type of back spin they put on a ball so it rolls from outside the 20 to inside the 20 or if it bounces back landing close to the goal line.

Something like that. But awareness has to be made a bigger part of the game.
Good analysis man! Too bad the game engine doesn't fully support anything like this with the AWR rating currently. With the nextGen they decided to add more rating categories without fixing the existing ones first...looks like they were simply trying to hide the problem instead of fix it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »