Home

Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #49
Pro

OVR: 16
Re: Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berad88
Tdogg09, I was talking about why it might not be doable on the current consoles. Having the whole physics package plus all the goodies that madden already has. Nobody knows if that would work because it has not been done.
The reason I was saying about the players looking more human is because the physics effects on a human would not be the exact same if they used something else like marshmallow men, or their furturistic half human half robot looking creatures.
Point being that in order to see the best representation of the physics engine the football players need to look like actual football players.
Okay, I see your point. There's no reason why it couldn't be done on this generation of consoles though. The physics are probably the hardest thing to implement, and that's been done. So, it just remains to add the rest of the stuff (but maybe I'm over simplifying it, I don't know).

As for your argument about the players not looking human, I agree with Only1LT that they do look human, it's just that they are all the same size, and the padding is different. It would be very interesting to see how they'd implement the physics engine with varying player models. I think it'd be great because it would then make every hit even that much more different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDROMADA 1
Some of you guys need to stop bringing up the other game. Just giving a heads up is all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
To further Spank's point, I think that it is more than OK to bring up Backbreaker in the context of this thread, I think it's only logical. How can you not discuss and compare Backbreaker, a Football game that has a physics engine, when you are talking about Madden potentially implementing one? How could you not? It is totally relevant. A mod can disagree, but that won't make it any less so.
I completely agree with Only1LT here. There would be no discussion of real time physics other than "that'd be awesome!" or "I hope that gets in" if we aren't allowed to compare it to Backbreaker (in this specific thread). If we discuss Backbreaker, at least we have a frame of reference so we may see how it would possibly work in Madden.

Last edited by TDogg09; 07-10-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 23
Re: Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee
Well it has already been done,it may not be possible for the Madden Engine to handle it but that doesn't mean it is not possible as another game has done it with great on field results.
What I meant was I think it's his view that it's not possible to make it work with Madden. Not that it's not possible at all (which is clearly wrong).
Old 07-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #51
MVP

OVR: 15

I don't know how Ian can make that statement about how real time physics can't be implemented because there is the possibility of 22 players colliding, and the amount of caclulations, etc., when we have a football game right now in it's first year, smaller development team, has done it!

I mean I am sick of the Madden dev team giving excuses on why something can't be done, or hasn't been done because it's too hard. They keep blaming the 06 and 07 debacle when that was almost 5 years ago! In the gaming industry that is a very very long time.

However, I am still amazed at what we used to have 6-7 years ago compared to what we have right now. It's sickening.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #52
Pro

Step2001's Arena

OVR: 9
People don't play past year 2 of Franchise mode? Yeah, on this gen version of Madden. The Franchise was gutted and very little was added over the years. Now why would someone keep playing?

The I.R. has been messed up for years.
No 80 man rosters
No Training Camp Battles
No Roster Cutdown days
No Practice Squad
No setting your 45 (46) gameday roster
Injuries are all messed up! What happned to the "Wear and Tear" Injury system?
No real interaction with other teams when it comes to free agency and trades
No Player attitudes
Contract negotiations are all messed up for the HUM controlled team
Free Agency with the lack of restricted free agency is missing
What's the point of scouting during the season, when you just have to look at the octogon graph of the players abilities?
No presentation for anything during the offseason. Leaving the NFL Draft untouched is a joke. It's a HUGE event!
In 2010 we see the Owners mode type stuff, but it's not hands on. Just giving us a breakdown.
Progression is all jacked up

I can keep going.........
Old 07-11-2010, 12:45 AM   #53
Banned

OVR: 1

Backbreaker doesnt have it working. The players fall like crash test dummies and get tackled by their own players. Trust me it doesnt work.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:40 AM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step2001
People don't play past year 2 of Franchise mode? Yeah, on this gen version of Madden. The Franchise was gutted and very little was added over the years. Now why would someone keep playing?

The I.R. has been messed up for years.
No 80 man rosters
No Training Camp Battles
No Roster Cutdown days
No Practice Squad
No setting your 45 (46) gameday roster
Injuries are all messed up! What happned to the "Wear and Tear" Injury system?
No real interaction with other teams when it comes to free agency and trades
No Player attitudes
Contract negotiations are all messed up for the HUM controlled team
Free Agency with the lack of restricted free agency is missing
What's the point of scouting during the season, when you just have to look at the octogon graph of the players abilities?
No presentation for anything during the offseason. Leaving the NFL Draft untouched is a joke. It's a HUGE event!
In 2010 we see the Owners mode type stuff, but it's not hands on. Just giving us a breakdown.
Progression is all jacked up

I can keep going.........
You hit the nail on the head. If there was a rep system I'd rep you.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:06 AM   #55
Rookie

warrior7807's Arena

OVR: 7

"I am really excited with what we can accomplish once we get a solid foundation and better architecture in place."

Hopefully this will be for M12. I also find it baffling how they couldn't improve some things in franchise but they could improve OTP. As someone else said, i'm sure less than 10% of people played less than 32 games of online team play.

Hopefully, since the franchise team has been working on 12 for some time now, I hope to see major improvements. MAJOR. If they expect to make the same minor improvements they have been and try to pass them off as something great just because we have become complacent and used to the M10 and 11 franchise, i think they have another thing coming. COMMUNITY OUTLASH!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2010, 02:52 AM   #56
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Pretty disappointing to read Ian basically say, don't expect to see a real time physic engine in Madden with this gen of hardware.

Would seem to me that with these other sports games spending the next few years refining their physic engines...Madden may seem really dated for the remainder of this generation of sports games. It wouldn't surprise me if Tiburon is pressured to add a physic engine sooner than they may have plan to.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »