Home

FIX FRANCHISE MODE: Remove Potential Rating.

This is a discussion on FIX FRANCHISE MODE: Remove Potential Rating. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: FIX FRANCHISE MODE: Remove Potential Rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles614
The problem is if you DO put up those numbers he won't get better off of the numbers, he gets better off of the potential and his overall.
If you're putting up those kind of numbers with him as is, why would his potential and overall rating matter at all?
Old 07-16-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 7

I guess I'm missing the point of what the advantage is to having the OVR rating go up. I don't simulate my franchise (only play OLF actually), so it doesn't really matter to me if the player is "getting better" or not. I only care if he's helping me win games.

I do agree that it would make for a richer experience if there was another way to control a player's progression. Maybe next year....
Old 07-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

Why in the world would you remove potential rating? When players come into the NFL, or any other league for that matter don't you hear people talk about X player having X potential? Its a part of the real life sports industry.

The only way around removing the potential rating and making it more true to real life would be having the players height, weight, speed, jumping ability, acceleration, agility and strength (might be leaving a few key attributes out) determine potential without a tangible rating. That way the potential would be a bit of a factual guess, more like in real life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2010, 10:58 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 2

Here's how I think potential should work:

-First of all, HIDE POTENTIAL RATINGS, but keep them there.
-Second, change what the potential rating does. Make it so a higher potential rating gives a player a higher chance of progressing if he does well. This could give realistic "sophomore slumps", where players who do really well as rookies could take a step back (or just not get any better) afterward.

Okay, so only two changes. But I think it's a good idea.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:03 AM   #13
MVP

blklightning's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseliottt
Do you know what the easiest, most effective way to fix franchise mode is? Remove the potential rating. That's it.

There should be no potential rating. I should not be able to draft a player and know what to expect out of him throughout his entire career. It destroys a HUGE part of franchise mode. Once I see that my 3rd round pick has a D potential, I cut him immediately before he even has a chance to play. Real NFL teams never do this, because there is no potential rating in real life. NFL teams don't know what to expect from their 3rd round pick until he plays.

A potential rating should not be the ONLY factor to determine progression.
It would be a mistake if they included it again into the next version of Madden.

Opinions?
i disagree. they need to hide the rating, though. it's ludicrous to be able to know how good a player is going to be before you even sign him. you think the cowboys know how good dez bryant will be two years from now? absolutely not. hide it.

however, the rating does have merit. in the madden world, there must be limits placed on rookies because all real life rookies only mature to a certain level. sure, it's not going to line up with what happens in the real. but it's a game made to simulate the nfl. not replicate it.

3 points for graphics, 1 point for the passable commentary, and a half point for the boxart. I can give no further points since the all over the place gameplay would ruin it anyway.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:17 AM   #14
Rookie

i rather they keep the potential rating but just dont tell us what it is

I shouldnt be able to go into scouting and already know whos gona max out at 99, 89, 79 etc...
Old 07-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 2

I've been on board with the removal of potential for a while now. The thing is, IRL when you draft someone in the second round, you are drafting him because of potential. You think he has A or B potential. Until you see different on the field, you believe that he has the potential to be a starter or eventually be a starter. Otherwise, you wouldn't draft him.

In Madden, you are revealed the cap on his abilities immediately and like the OP said... it ruins the draft for you. You just cut the guy. I've done it with first rounders that are F rated. I mean, that just doesn't happen. And for another topic of discussion is capping players in the first place....

What EA completely misses and always has with the draft in Madden, is that the true fun is finding out what you have in a draftee ON THE FIELD! Not through potential or an overall rating, but in actual gameplay. Let ME figure out if the guy is bust by him underperforming on the field. I'm on the fence with the overall rating because it does let you order your depth chart by most talented, but again... talent should be based on skillset and perception until that lack of talent is revealed through failure on the field. So there needs to be a revamping of what the OVR rating means... maybe a mix of actual talent and perceived talent based on draft status? Just thinking out loud....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2010, 02:39 AM   #16
Rookie

What I think would be a good idea, is to hide the potential ratings and play through pre season with the rookies. This way you can judge who to keep via their stats and how they perform during the pre season. Works like that in real life. It would be great to have it if they included a larger roster, so this way you can do roster cuts and such. I think it would add some realism and make things more realistic. Maybe have skewed and and not official or exact overalls for the players(rookies?) visible.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »