Home

EA is taking a huge risk with Madden

This is a discussion on EA is taking a huge risk with Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: EA is taking a huge risk with Madden

It's all $$, there's likely no 'well you've sucked, so no more' for the franchise selling millions of copies. Until there's a leak or source saying otherwise, this just seems to be an outlet to dump on EA. Some don't like the game, don't like it's direction, whatever the reason, but people are still buying it.

I don't think we should be passing judgement on the next 2 versions of the game until we've played them, I just don't see the productive conversation here. All that can be done is gather assumptions about these titles, and their competitors too, with statements like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
if there was an option to go to a competitor for a similar experience (when the NFL liscense runs out for EA), i would for sure go to the competitor based on the joke that is 2 years of work to improve from madden 10.
So now:

- The next game that we haven't played sucks
- Madden 12 is a joke because it takes 2 years to work on something
- Competition implicitly is better because it's not Madden

So my thoughts....

- I'll pass judgement on Madden 11 gameplay improvements when I play the demo.
- I'll pass judgement on Madden 12 when we actually find out information about the new franchise mode.... so in 11 months.
- I'll probably BUY any competition when the time comes, just as I did Backbreaker... but I will probably still buy Madden

I don't see how we can do much more than that without forcing assumptions or bias onto other people. Without playing the games themselves, that's all we have.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxgoods
Another one of these threads, most sports game don't make huge jumps year to year.
The Show 09 was nearly identical to The Show 10, there were only minor improvements.
Same with NBA 2k9 to 2k10.
You mostly see big upgrades every 2 yrs in a sports games cycle.
Try telling the NHL series that every year they got something big!
Old 07-17-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldIsYours
The Show and NBA 2k are two of the greatest sports series for MLB and NBA. You know a game is good when they dont have to fix or add a lot.

Right now Madden is no where close to being the best football game ever created. All Pro Football/ESPN 2k5 are still in my opinon the best football games created. Madden needs many more upgrades gameplay wise in order to not lose the liscence.

Maybe to you, but that doesn't relate to sales. The sales of those games together don't add up to Maddens sales.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
EA better hope they don't lose the license. That's all I will say about that.

As far as your other questions, I posted a similar thread. IMHO, Madden 10 was not a very good game. It was a BETTER game than any of the other Maddens on next gen. I think, like myself, many folks are tired of saying "it's better." They want to be blown away. In my thread, I asked if folks thought that the dev team was satisfied with the minimal improvements to gameplay and next year will ONLY be a franchise mode update. I believe that's what is going to happen. So we will go another year with pro-tak being untouched, adaptive AI untouched, challenge system untouched, poor animations (jump tackle and QB movement) untouched, proper ball physics untouched... etc. etc.

The commentary in this year's game is an absolute embarassment. Dan and Peter from 2k5 blow this away still. How bad is that? Why can't we get banter? Why is the speech so disjointed. It's the continuous lack of polish that Madden has. It's like it was written by a bunch of college interns. It has a decent foundation, but everything is incomplete and unpolished.
I have the same view of Madden10 better but still bad. 3/10 for me but I am a big franchise guy.
I don't think because they are focusing on franchise next year it means no other upgrades. They said no upgrades this year because they wanted to focus on gameplay and it would take more than one year to rebuild franchise mode. I believed that at the time but it seems pretty obvious to me Looman and his team were working on the Wii. That game looks good this year so hopefully M12 on 360 and Ps3 will get the attention of M10.
Madden11 the year of the Wii.
Madden12 the year of the franchise.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60

i think madden 11 will be a great game. no game is perfect and it seems like we are expecting games to be perfect. i dont think they will lose the license because of bad supposed bad gameplay or anything like that either

Old 07-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther84
Try telling the NHL series that every year they got something big!
That is impressive if true, I think its harder to add big feautures in a game every year. They probably get less than a year to develop the game.
That's why with most sports games, I buy it every two years.
Unless I'm a hardcore fan of the franchise.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

Sorry, but I thought Madden 10 still sucked and I'm not purchasing another Madden game ever again. I'm loving NCAA Football this year, and that will occupy me. But Madden has been a HUGE disappointment to me the last few years and they're not getting another dime from me...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #16
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
Sorry, but I thought Madden 10 still sucked and I'm not purchasing another Madden game ever again. I'm loving NCAA Football this year, and that will occupy me. But Madden has been a HUGE disappointment to me the last few years and they're not getting another dime from me...
lol. If M12 franchise mode isn't rebuilt I will never buy Madden again purely out of spite. Silly I know.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »