Home

EA is taking a huge risk with Madden

This is a discussion on EA is taking a huge risk with Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: EA is taking a huge risk with Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxgoods
That is impressive if true, I think its harder to add big feautures in a game every year. They probably get less than a year to develop the game.
That's why with most sports games, I buy it every two years.
Unless I'm a hardcore fan of the franchise.
NHL played it smart when the series shifted over to the 360/ps3 they took a year off(2006) and built the game from ground up and it paid off huge.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #18
TIm
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnes12eaglesfan
i think madden 11 will be a great game. no game is perfect and it seems like we are expecting games to be perfect. i dont think they will lose the license because of bad supposed bad gameplay or anything like that either
No madden isn't a bad game... It's not the bottom of the pitts... The problem I have with it in which I still won't buy that game, There are still alot of things and BASIC things that aren't in Madden even though the current gen has been out for how many years???? They say Franchise will be built from the ground up and have a grand entrance next year... Well A year or two in Madden Current gen on the 360/Ps3, They said it was built from the ground up and this is why we didn't have time to get this in or that in... Bottom line there is always something with Madden... Am I missing out on a ok game??? Sure I am.. But I'm sick and Tired of hearing Next year it will be in the game.. Meanwhile they spend a TON of time on things in the game.. IMO Gameflow Aka "ASK COACH" They spend time making commentary for that but the commentary for the game itself really sucks... Go back to John Madden and Al.... There commentary as far as lines in the game, telling us stats, Giving us player info Was very good !!! Some may call it getting old but you take that commentary and put fresh voices in there, The commentary would have flow... We had the radio guy, Then hammond I think,, That commentary was just pieced together.. 2k commentary: Some would say Dan and Peter's voices are annoying, But did you really sit and listen to the dialog they put out and how real it sounded? Same with Madden and Michaels again.. Commentary had tremendous flow... I am playing still 2k5 for Ps2 and 360 and APF 2k8.... Those games are far from perfect but it also has a ton right with them..

NHL Ea hockey series: Someone said that there are 2-3 year or so and you get big improvments? Well take NHL Ea series.. That game has improved soo much every year and now is a wonderful game.. I can only imagine what this year will bring.. In a few short years they brought that series from the GRAVE....

Also someone said the Show hadn't improved much... Well the show doesn't have to.. I think it is one of the best sports games around.. The only thing I would like to see them improve is the commentary and stat overlays..

We will see what Madden 11 brings.. But until I see basic things in the games that you see on sunday..... I'm passing..
Old 07-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #19
Banned

dreezymac's Arena

OVR: 11

I've been purchasing Madden every year nonstop for as long as I can remember (90s). I've never been too big on NCAA Football because it seemed to arcade to me but played it because of my circle's infatuation with dynasty mode. Last year I purchased both and to my surprise did not like Madden 10 only playing it a total of 5 times while dedicating most of my time to NCAA which I found a refreshing change to previous years.

Year after year people demand large scale upgrades to these game franchises...and with good reason. However, ppl who have no experience in development and want to play the perfect game every year dont seem to realize that even some of the smallest upgrades arent as easily done as they are said...devs cant just say, "madden be better" and it happens.

With that said, while its not always easy to make all the changes to the consumer's desire, EA should still be able to entertain the basic things. One for example is the online franchise. For EA to just say they've taken focus off of the franchise play til next year for other things irks me on a grand scale. I dont expect them to upgrade it by leaps and bounds but it is unknown to me why they are adverse to adding contracts/salaries and trade logic to it. This isnt an "upgrade"...its a integral part of the game.

At this point I believe EA is taking advantage of being the only NFL licensed video game. Rather than choose aspects of the game to upgrade and appease the core gamers, they're going in the direction of expanding their audience. Fair enough on expanding but they shouldnt have the luxury of doing one or the other...its because they know we have no where else to go.

You guys want to know why the NFL2K series was so successful in the eyes of gamers? Because the devs responsible for NFL2K were the same ones responsible for the physics engines in early Madden games before EA brought it completely in house. Thats why EA was so quick to lock up exclusive NFL and ESPN rights...because they knew the potential damage Visual Concepts would cause in the long run.

Until EA gets any solid NFL licensed competition besides itself, dont expect them to be obligated towards any leaps and bounds improvements. They'll continue to move at their own pace and we as gamers WILL buy it because no matter how bad it is, its the only representative of the NFL we have.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 5

Well said TIm, at one point 2k hockey was the king of sim and look now there not even making a version for the 360/ps3 this year. The show follows one rule if it aint broke don't fix it! Madden is a good game it has taken some steps but you just have to ask yourself with all these other games making huge improvements why haven't the Madden team caught on??? regardless ill rent Madden 11 and give it a shot hopefully they took a page out of NCAA 11
Old 07-17-2010, 04:03 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther84
NHL played it smart when the series shifted over to the 360/ps3 they took a year off(2006) and built the game from ground up and it paid off huge.

I didn't know that. That IS smart.

But I'd bet back then (2006), people were complaining about how there was no NHL game. ("No NHL 2006??? WTF???").....lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #22
Banned

dreezymac's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIm
No madden isn't a bad game... It's not the bottom of the pitts... The problem I have with it in which I still won't buy that game, There are still alot of things and BASIC things that aren't in Madden even though the current gen has been out for how many years???? They say Franchise will be built from the ground up and have a grand entrance next year... Well A year or two in Madden Current gen on the 360/Ps3, They said it was built from the ground up and this is why we didn't have time to get this in or that in... Bottom line there is always something with Madden... Am I missing out on a ok game??? Sure I am.. But I'm sick and Tired of hearing Next year it will be in the game.. Meanwhile they spend a TON of time on things in the game.. IMO Gameflow Aka "ASK COACH" They spend time making commentary for that but the commentary for the game itself really sucks... Go back to John Madden and Al.... There commentary as far as lines in the game, telling us stats, Giving us player info Was very good !!! Some may call it getting old but you take that commentary and put fresh voices in there, The commentary would have flow... We had the radio guy, Then hammond I think,, That commentary was just pieced together.. 2k commentary: Some would say Dan and Peter's voices are annoying, But did you really sit and listen to the dialog they put out and how real it sounded? Same with Madden and Michaels again.. Commentary had tremendous flow... I am playing still 2k5 for Ps2 and 360 and APF 2k8.... Those games are far from perfect but it also has a ton right with them..

NHL Ea hockey series: Someone said that there are 2-3 year or so and you get big improvments? Well take NHL Ea series.. That game has improved soo much every year and now is a wonderful game.. I can only imagine what this year will bring.. In a few short years they brought that series from the GRAVE....

Also someone said the Show hadn't improved much... Well the show doesn't have to.. I think it is one of the best sports games around.. The only thing I would like to see them improve is the commentary and stat overlays..

We will see what Madden 11 brings.. But until I see basic things in the games that you see on sunday..... I'm passing..
EXACTLY!

Only thing that truly drives EA to be better is the almightly buck...the fear that they will be overcome by a rival publisher's game series.

Why has the NHL series improved by leaps and bounds? ---> NHL2K series
MLB The Show? --> MLB2K.

EA shunned any involvement with a MMA game. UFC Undisputed debuted with huge success not surprisingly here comes EA with a game soon to come.

There was the College Hoops 2K series that was widely successful. EA managed to snatch the college license from under them and Visual Concepts discontinued. Not surprisingly EA discontinues their series two years later due lack of interest.

The only area 2K has won is with their NBA series which EA hasnt been able to keep up. They apparently figure to erase their failure and jump back in at a higher level with NBA Elite. Watch out 2K or the NBA rights will be snatched right from under you.

Dont get me wrong...EA is not without talent. Bottom line is when EA has competition, they excel. When someone else excels, EA has no problem trying to break in on it. If they phase another pub/dev out, EAs interest likely fizzles with it after time and the game suffers and/or discontinues.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreezymac
EXACTLY!

Only thing that truly drives EA to be better is the almightly buck...the fear that they will be overcome by a rival publisher's game series.

MLB The Show? --> MLB2K.

EA shunned any involvement with a MMA game. UFC Undisputed debuted with huge success not surprisingly here comes EA with a game soon to come.

There was the College Hoops 2K series that was widely successful. EA managed to snatch the college license from under them and Visual Concepts discontinued. Not surprisingly EA discontinues their series two years later due lack of interest.

The only area 2K has won is with their NBA series which EA hasnt been able to keep up. They apparently figure to erase their failure and jump back in at a higher level with NBA Elite. Watch out 2K or the NBA rights will be snatched right from under you.

Dont get me wrong...EA is not without talent. Bottom line is when EA has competition, they excel. When someone else excels, EA has no problem trying to break in on it. If they phase another pub/dev out, EAs interest likely fizzles with it after time and the game suffers and/or discontinues.
I love your argument and agree whole heartedly. However, it was recently pointed out to me that there is no exclusivity deal for college basketball. The CLC sells the NCAA name and likeness rights to anyone who will pay and apparently 2k decided they were not willing to pay, since the game wasn't making enough money. It really makes me sad, CH2k8 is my all time favorite sports game, and I'm a football guy lol.

Just look at the overhaul EA is giving to NBA Live/Elite. It's the one game that doesn't lead in sales and they're pulling all the stops to change that. Imagine what they'd do with Madden if it was #2 in sales. Unfortunately they don't have to worry about that and we're left with minimal yearly upgrades.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreezymac
EXACTLY!

MLB The Show? --> MLB2K.

Hit the nail right bang on the head!

As long as EA have the sole rights to the licence, they can do anything they want with the game and it would sell.

Think about it, lets take Madden 12 and Madden 13 as a hypothetical example. If Madden 13 had barely any gameplay changes, and barely any feature changes, it would still sell because of the updated ratings and the new players. It may not sell as much as Madden 12 did, but it wouldn't be far off because only a few people would have the toughness and stubbornness to not buy it, and I envy those people greatly.

Now this story isn't so hypothetical, because its exactly what's been happening for the past few years.
You look at almost any sports game franchise, and compare its progression to that of Madden's. Then you will realise what the EA Madden team have done to its community, or lack of it, and will understand the frustration of many football gamers.

Now I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy Madden 11, because it has improvements over last years (although whether they are worth the price tag is very debatable), and I know that it will sell millions of copies worldwide, I am just pointing out the lack of improvements and progression that the Madden franchise has had and has forced upon the football gaming public.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »