Home

So what's the explanation for the "new" kicking meter?

This is a discussion on So what's the explanation for the "new" kicking meter? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
So what's the explanation for the "new" kicking meter?

Simple question. I cannot be the only one that's going to let this one slide. It seems that Tiburon took 3 steps back with this feature. There's no challenge in kicking anymore and it feels like a last generation feature.

A better representation of kicking is presented when using the analog. Lining the arrow up was sort of like the kicker's eyes looking at his target, while using the analog to trigger the kick was the emulation of the kicker's leg. There was less room for error because you had to make sure that you didnt stray the analog too far from the accuracy zone...sort of like what NBA Elite is doing this year.

It just makes more sense to have the analog for kicking. I dont want to sound like I'm female dogging, but THIS was an unnecessary change. Kicking was not that hard with analog control, so it wasn't like beginners couldn't learn how to use it. Now it's clunky, and visually it's an eye-soar to see.

Am I wrong here?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: So what's the explanation for the "new" kicking meter?

I completely agree 100%.
NBA: Charlotte Hornets
NHL: Carolina Hurricanes
Old 07-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

A common complaint was that FG were too easy, this meter was designed to allow more attributes to be a factor. The old meter, the way it was built/coded, was determined by the devs to be incapable of enough variation (misses, etc.). It seemed to be all user input/very little ratings and no way to fix it. I think the difference is, this meter does its stuff , then the ball is snapped and the play happens. Should allow for more misses. I don't really like the meter either...but it allows me to watch the field goal instead of kick it. I think as long is it truly DOES result in more missed FG it'll be fine.

...btw, there's lots of posts/threads on this if you search for 'em
Old 07-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

I'm pretty sure the meter was added because the analog control simply wasn't working (too easy, no difference between kickers) and they didn't want to spend a lot of time on it; so they grabbed the old code, added a graphical representation of the meter, and threw it in.

I don't think there was a lot of design time devoted too it. I think its an improvement because I want to spend some time thinking about what kicker I've got rather than grabbing the cheapest guy in free agency and hitting that last minute 55 yard FG everytime.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

I still don't understand why they couldn't just copy All Pro Football's kicking game, which is the best to date by far.

Even though you used the joystick to kick in recent Maddens, all you were really doing was controlling a meter.

And meters don't belong in the analog age, much less the huge gradient they've got in there now that takes up almost a third of the screen.

It's like going back in time and playing PGA '95 on the good ol' DOS.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Rookie

I agree as well. They went back old school
Old 07-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
I still don't understand why they couldn't just copy All Pro Football's kicking game, which is the best to date by far.

Even though you used the joystick to kick in recent Maddens, all you were really doing was controlling a meter.

And meters don't belong in the analog age, much less the huge gradient they've got in there now that takes up almost a third of the screen.

LMAO at the swing at 4:02
Old 07-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33

THANK YOU!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »