Home

Why Salary Cap is a MUST in Online Franchise!

This is a discussion on Why Salary Cap is a MUST in Online Franchise! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #17
Pro Sports Handicapper

bababooey76's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Why Salary Cap is a MUST in Online Franchise!

We use a "ratings cap" in our franchise.

Each player will start off with his real life contract in terms of length. We will get this info and post it for you on your teams "Ratings Cap" or "Team Transaction" thread along with the players Cap number which will be the players overall rating in the beginning. They may actually be the same thread so we can easily refer to it.

When the season begins, there will be a list of players in the final year of his contract on a teams thread. It will be your job to look for guys on each team you may want to bid on for free agency and try to bring to your team. You will have a season to prepare for this since you know at the start of a season who is available at the end of the season, so you don't have to do all the work in a day or two.

Formula For Contracts and Cap Number
New contracts will have a formula that determines new Cap Number (Contract $) and length of contract. The player would normally receive a pay increase on a new contract, unless they were on the tail end of the career or just an average player. This formula will try to account for those factors;

Contract Length When Signing As A Free Agent (Cap Number)
OVR-(Ratings Are After Progression Takes Place)
99-95 /5yr (Multiply players overall rating by .1 and add that to players overall rating to get Cap Number/Salary)
94-90/ 4yr (Multiply players overall rating by .1 and add that to players overall rating to get Cap Number/Salary)
85-89/ 3yr (Multiply players overall rating by .08 and add that to players overall rating to get Cap Number/Salary)
75-84/ 2yr (Multiply players overall rating by .06 and add that to players overall rating to get Cap Number/Salary)
74 and below/(automatically re-signed to current team at current overall rating unless that team physically releases that player)

Example: A player with a 96 rating would sign a 5 yr contract. His salary/cap number would be his rating, 96 x .1 = 9.6 and then add that to the 96 overall rating, 96 + 9.6 = 105.6. 105.6 is your signed free agent's Cap number/salary. It is simple math and not difficult.

Re-Signing a Player During The Season To Prevent Him Becoming a Free Agent
Players should have the opportunity to prevent their own players from leaving for Free Agency. You will be able to re-sign your own players in season. Upcoming Free Agents must be signed by Week 12 of the current season to be re-signed in season. If an owner does not re-sign the player by Week 12, he will have to bid against other owners for that player in the off season. It will cost a little more against the cap to sign in season against bidding in off season.

Re-signing a Player During the Season To Prevent Losing Player to Free Agency (Cap Number)

OVR-(Ratings Are After Progression Takes Place)
99-95 /5yr (Multiply players overall rating by .14 and add that to players overall rating to get Cap Number/Salary)
94-90/ 4yr (Multiply players overall rating by .14 and add that to players overall rating to get Cap Number/Salary)
85-89/ 3yr (Multiply players overall rating by .1 and add that to players overall rating to get Cap Number/Salary)
75-84/ 2yr (Multiply players overall rating by .08 and add that to players overall rating to get Cap Number/Salary)
74 and below/(automatically re-signed to current team at current overall rating unless that team physically releases that player)

Any player eligible for Free Agency that is not bid on in the off season by another team or not signed will return to his previous team provided the team has cap room. The current team may release that player with no penalty.

Bidding On A Player
Owners bids will be private. Owner will pm a bid amount and then a maximum bid amount for each player he is bidding on (Like on Ebay). Bids will be pm'd to the commissioner and will put in a separate folder until we hit free agency. In the event that the maximum bids for the same player are tied, the player would revert back to his original team. Owner will submit player name, bid amount, and maximum bid
amount.

Releasing Players in Season

Owners will be penalized 5 cap points per year remaining on a players contract if that player is released before his contract expires. Player contracts roll over to next year after progression in the off season.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #18
Next Miami Great

iAM-IncReDiBLe-'s Arena

OVR: 34

Yea me and a buddy of mines developed a very in depth salary cap for my old league that other leagues have started to use. Thats how good it was, but it did take a lot of work.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #19
Pro

thbends's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikskillz
For those of us that conduct fantasy drafts for our franchise teams, a Salary Cap is a must have because it affects the way a owner drafts his team and completes trades during the first part of the season, not to mention off-season. For example, If you draft upper-tier players early in the draft with high salaries, having a salary cap prevents you from drafting mid-tier players that also have high salaries because you will exceed the cap. This is proof that having a salary cap impacts the way a team is built and is essential to running and managing a successful franchise.

For Ian and co. to say a salary cap only affects the off-season proves their decision to not include one of the most fundamental features for a franchise was not a well thought out one. It is really frustrating to know this was excluded again in M11 after many gamers were shocked and expressed disappointment with this feature being left out last year. To leave it out based on their data analysis is a poor decision.

Last year, they boasted about being able to add features server side. What has been added? Not much to my knowledge. If someone from EA reads this, please rethink this decision and at the very least add a salary cap to Online Franchise server side like you touted you can.

Thank you!
I feel you but I doubt Ian and co. have as much pull as EA might lead you to believe. I'm sure the higher ups tell them what to focus on each year. This year it seems to be Make Mo Money... as in micro transactions.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKing
You can add 4 more people passing because of no improvments to the so called online franchise mode. Having fun with NCAA for now.
Actually you can make that 6 people as two of my friends have decided not to buy Madden 11 as well because they are only interested in the Online Franchise. I guess we got spoiled having the Online Dynasty in NCAA the past 3 seasons that we don't really feel like playing Madden until they improve the feature.

I have had Madden since Friday and the Online Franchise was disabled all weekend......maybe we will get lucky and something will get added to it. =) Wishful thinking I guess
Old 08-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #21
MVP

pokerplaya's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by showbo1971
Actually you can make that 6 people as two of my friends have decided not to buy Madden 11 as well because they are only interested in the Online Franchise. I guess we got spoiled having the Online Dynasty in NCAA the past 3 seasons that we don't really feel like playing Madden until they improve the feature.

I have had Madden since Friday and the Online Franchise was disabled all weekend......maybe we will get lucky and something will get added to it. =) Wishful thinking I guess
Or it could be that the game isn't technically out yet. I love playing online ranked games and I think it's crap that 87,000 people get the jump on a game that I can't get yet... hell, I won't be able to get the Gamestop nerds to even give me my copy 5 minutes early, it's BS.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 01:40 AM   #22
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Too bad team play is purely a competitive/exhibition mode, would have been kinda of neat playing through seasons of online franchise with friends, them lobbying to get draft picks and salary cap money spent on their positions.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falzon
i remember them talking about being able to "patch it sever side" last year if the demand was great enough if i remember correctly.... sad to see it's not in the M11 retail copy....
And this is why I lost all respect for the Madden developers.. I really wish they would patch in a salary cap.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikskillz
That is exactly why there were low numbers of users participating in OF on M10. Their data analysis is not taken this into consideration. Ian & Co should be able recognize this flaw and the correlation and address it accordingly. Why should consumers have to wait another year for a Salary Cap to be implemented?

It's enough work just to get through the season and it's too much work to keep up with an artificial point system to mimic a salary cap. Without the inclusion of a Cap, running a franchise is pointless, let alone playing one season or multiple seasons with signing FA's during the year due to injuries, exploring possible trades, re-signing players during the season, etc.

EA, if you're reading this, this is not a request, it is a plea to do the right thing for your consumers and update OF on M11 with a Salary Cap server side. I firmly believe that when this is done, EA's OF usage data will look much different.

Thank you!
Totally agree! The main reason I didn't play much Madden last year was due to the lack of salary cap online. It was an absolute nightmare trying to figure out who I can sign, release, trade, etc. to make sure I stay as a "sim" person. I spent more time worrying about this instead of enjoying the actual gameplay. They should test it out by releasing a server side patch to include a salary cap system to see what kind of response they would get with people using the online franchise. The numbers would shock them!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »