Home

Do we need an Overall Rating?

This is a discussion on Do we need an Overall Rating? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Do we need an Overall Rating?

Head Coach 09 had something like this, but there was still an overall rating that fluctuated depending on how your priorities on offense/defense were set up.

I think there's too many variables (in terms of bug-testing, to how it'd be presented to the player, among others...) to totally eliminate overall ratings though.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
Rookie

EmmittSmithx22x's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwabalicious
It would be extremely hard to do depth charts, substitutions, etc.
yup.... thats why I can't really see this happening even though it is an interesting idea.

OS
VETS Madden League:
Vets Bowl V,VII,IX Champion (Bengals)

Old 08-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
Rookie

The Real Ma$$ive's Arena

OVR: 17

Interesting it is... but I think it would be very confusing. If you think about it, its kinda like that now because you can have a man with a low overall, but he still has what it takes, and you can use him in the ways he performs the best. He's just young and needs higher awareness.
https://youtube.com/@GamingEntertain...m6O_Ib1XywTMwF
---------------------------------------------

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #12
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZero97
Fail!!!!!!
....who failed?
Old 08-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #13
Rookie

CajunPunk's Arena

OVR: 3

What if they had team-specific overalls. For example, Michael Vick's overall for the Eagles (mobile QBs) would be a 76 or something, but depending on what the Colts want (pocket passers), he would only be a 67.

Same could be done for RBs. Kevin Faulk's (sure handed, elusive) rating for the Patriots could be an 84, but on the Bengals (bigger, trucking) he would be a 77 or something. Get the idea?

There would still be an overall, and depth charts would be easily set up, but teams would sign/play players according to what they're looking for. Same could be said for drafting. Shut down corners would be more valuable to the Jets or Raiders, while zone corners would be more desirable/effective with the Colts.

The different coaching/team specific needs affect the overall of the player. It would definitely make hiring coaches in the offseason actually worth the time.

Just a thought.

Last edited by CajunPunk; 08-07-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
Rookie

Deelron's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunPunk
What if they had team-specific overalls. For example, Michael Vick's overall for the Eagles (mobile QBs) would be a 76 or something, but depending on what the Colts want (pocket passers), he would only be a 67....
That's a pretty fun idea in many ways, would it be the coach's philosophy that determined the play-style or the playbook? While it may not matter a ton for some positions, I can imagine the difference between spots in a 3-4 to 4-3 defense could definitely be notable.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #15
Rookie

CajunPunk's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelron
That's a pretty fun idea in many ways, would it be the coach's philosophy that determined the play-style or the playbook?
I think so too. It would also alleviate the whole progression debate at least to some degree.

If I'm not mistaken, depending on the coach you have your playbook changes, right? I seem to remember the different playbooks for the different coaches. Signing Gruden gave you his playbook. If not, there could be a section in the menu, like in NCAA, where you can adjust team/coaching philosophies. This would determine what skills your team deems important.

I don't know how hard it would be for the developers (and I'm sure it can be done), but depending on what team you are controlling, the FA overalls would look completely different . If I am controlling the Saints, QBs with high ACC and AWR will have a higher OVR than the QBs with high SPD and THW PWR. However, if I were controlling the Eagles, the scrambling abilities of a QB would show them as having a higher OVR in FA.

Quote:
While it may not matter a ton for some positions, I can imagine the difference between spots in a 3-4 to 4-3 defense could definitely be notable.
Exactly. During FA, there could still be contract battles between teams for balanced LTs, Gs, Cs, LBs, DTs, SSs, TEs, etc who would be effective on any team. These positions tend to be more fluid from team to team, with different exceptions (Ed Reed, LaMarr Woodley, Jason Whitten, etc).

Maybe Denver can go after the leaner, quicker linemen (if they even still do that now that Shanahan is gone).

I think it would make it more interesting. Rather than the CPU going after the next best OVR unsigned QB in the FA pool, they would sign the QB that most interests them. And depending on coaching changes, philosophies could also change, allowing us to see actual changes in how the teams play during a franchise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #16
Rookie

Deelron's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunPunk

If I'm not mistaken, depending on the coach you have your playbook changes, right?
Right, although some people like to stick to a playbook (or set of play-books) that aren't automatically the default with the coach, so I was just curious how that'd work, I'd probably lean towards the ratings being defined by the playbook being used.

It's pretty interesting, it'd be fun/interesting to see the rush for the few true NT's, for example.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »