Home

Gang Tackling?

This is a discussion on Gang Tackling? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2010, 02:50 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Gang Tackling?

I'm having trouble gang tackling. It seems like if my teammate has the guy wrapped up I cannot come in and join him in the tackle. Has anyone else noticed this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2010, 04:35 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Gang Tackling?

There are gang tackles in the game. However, if a defender is already engaged in a one-on-one tackle animation, you cannot pile on. There are only certain instances where pro-tak kicks in and allows for true gang tackling.

I don't understand how they couldn't just blend pro-tak in with the existing tackling animations to allow for true gang tackling.

The way it stands, pro-tak is very limited in terms of gang tackling, this needs to be a priority going forward. Tackling, in general, is a sore spot for the series. A proper physics system would allow for more dynamic tackling, but I doubt it will happen next year.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:03 AM   #3
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Agreed. Pro-tak is a nice technology or what ever they want to call it, but it is still very limited in what it can do. I really would like to see more of a real time physics engine take over. Football isn't a contact sport, it is a collision sport. The one thing BB does right is it's tackling, and the most glaring flaw since video game football has been around is proper tackling/gang tackling/etc. there are other games that did a nice job with tackles that can be branched into and is one of the reasons people love those games. I know it is a reason why I do. Even they don't have it perfect. I really hope that this and defensive "realistic assignments" to correspond to the offensive assignments from this year are the main focus of game play in Madden 12.

Last edited by PGaither84; 08-12-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:15 AM   #4
Come get some!

Candyman5's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwharris10
I'm having trouble gang tackling. It seems like if my teammate has the guy wrapped up I cannot come in and join him in the tackle. Has anyone else noticed this?
Its similiar to NCAA IMO. Once someone has a person engaged then all you do is basically bounce off, it was the same in NCAA. The thing is though, if you hit the guy first then every single CPU guy can join in. It makes no sense IMO.

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:37844096

Teams:
NCAA/PRO Football - Miami Hurricanes/Minnesota Vikings
NCAA/PRO Basketball - Syracuse Orange/NJ Nets
NCAA/PRO Baseball - Miami Hurricanes/NY Yankees
Old 08-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Agreed. Pro-tak is a nice technology or what ever they want to call it, but it is still very limited in what it can do. I really would like to see more of a real time physics engine take over. Football isn't a contact sport, it is a collision sport. The one thing BB does right is it's tackling, and the most glaring flaw since video game football has been around is proper tackling/gang tackling/etc. 2k games did a nice job of tackles that can be branched into and is one of the reasons people love 2k games. I know it is a reason why I do. Even they don't have it perfect. I really hope that this and defensive "realistic assignments" to correspond to the offensive assignments from this year are the main focus of game play in Madden 12.
I agree 100%. This should be the number one priority, as far as gameplay goes, for next year. It is EXTREMELY unrealistic...I mean how many times do you EVER see a one on one tackle and 3-4 guys just come in and bounce off? I mean one on one tackles are not that common either. The thing that worries me is that the devs probably already think that they solved this problem with pro-tak, and since they didn't touch pro-tak (it was a MAJOR feature last year and we didn't hear a peep out of it this year) I don't think we'll see any progress in terms of the tackling engine anytime soon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
Rookie

PaPZ187's Arena

OVR: 2

+1 Tackling needs improvement, especially gang tackling.

If one of my teammates has a RB but is having trouble bringing him down I want to lay the HIT STICK on his a** and knock them both out, that would be sick and make the game 100 times more enjoyable.

Tackling is what Football is all about, come on EA you MUST improve on this ASAP!!!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 25

The tackling in M11, to me...IS the worst its been honestly. There is no way to do it yourself as the GAME decides when a PRO-TAK moment kicks in. I kn ow they lessened the effect from Madden10, but C'mon...80-90% of ALL tackles are 1 on 1 with 4-7 defenders falling down around the ballcarrier....This leads to HUGE gains from ONE broken tackle, when it should never have happened.

Its the same in NCAA11...BUT...Its "HIDDEN" a bit better and you really do see more PRO-TAK moments that give you the illusion of MULTI-Hit tackles.

Its foolish in this day and age that the tackles have actually gotten worse instead of being a-mazing.

Have been tweaking sliders and have played with certain areas and have been able to get more Pro-Tak moments....But im at work and dont remember my slider set honestly. Have done alot of adjusting.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Ya the gang tackling ain't there as much as it was last year. It is kind of strange why it was toned down alot for. But was done so. I'm assuming the locomotion they put in this had something to do with them toning it down some. But honestly it really to me it ain't a big bother to me. But I'm sure once the madden crew switch madden to a new Physics engine in a few years. Gang tackling will be more productive and more real looking then it was in madden 10. But I'm happy with the tackling for now until then.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »