Home

Player Potentials for some young players too low?

This is a discussion on Player Potentials for some young players too low? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Player Potentials for some young players too low?

First I want to say game-play wise I only had time for one game so far and it was great game and a lot of fun to use the gameflow feature.

Being the offline franchise junky that I am I went into a new franchise and selected every team to take a peak at player potentials (which in my mind should not be set in stone or immediately known but hat is a topic for another thread). I found that some of the younger players such as 1 or 2 year guys were rated low in the potential area despite being higher draft picks. It was late and I was tired so I do not remember many of them but one that stands out in my mind is:

Brian Robiskie WR for the Browns, who I think was an A or B last year is now a C. This guy is entering his sophomore year after being a 2nd round pick and 36 overall. Granted he did nothing of note on a not very poor Browns team that had QB issues, so I get that his ratings should be low but how can you say he is not still at least a B "potential" meaning he still could end up good over the course of his career. The C potential not only caps him at 79 but also effects how much he will progress each year.

To me a for the younger players that have only been in the league for like 2 years or less and were drafted in the higher rounds it is not correct to have them rated C's and D's as they could still end up being great. I think players who have been around for awhile and have clearly capped out deserve to have the C and D potentials. Think of a guy like Patrick Crayton who is not a bad player but at this point in his career it is pretty clear he is never going to be a great player so he rightfully has C potential.

What I see currently is some rookies who were drafted 5th, 6th, even 7th round have higher potential grades than guys who were rookies last year and were 1st though 3rd rounders just a year ago. In my mind the lower grades C and D should be used for journeymen and veteran players who have either plateaued or in the case of some older players have declined due to age so using the lower potentials keeps them from suddenly returning to former glory.

On a final note would any team have a guy on the roster who they would grade an F for potential? I mean as a coach would you want a guy on your team who not only sucks but you firmly believe based on what he has shown you he will always suck?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
MVP

TheGame8544's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Player Potentials for some young players too low?

I'm a broken record but once again, individual customization is key. EA not allowing us to edit players potential ratings as well as edit players, or at least draft classes, in franchise is ridiculous.

Allow people to do what they want to do with THEIR game. Half of the complaints people are making about the game wouldn't be happening if people could just customize the game to their liking. 2k seems to understand this. Their games aren't perfect, but at least they let the player do want their want with the game.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
MVP

Thats what sucks about having Potential ratings in sports games, some players are going to be underrated. It happened in "The Show" too.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
MVP

TheGame8544's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxgoods
Thats what sucks about having Potential ratings in sports games, some players are going to be underrated. It happened in "The Show" too.
Yeah I love The Show, but that was one area they goofed up in. At least allow us to edit the freakin potential ratings.

But hey, at least in that game you can edit player ratings in its franchise. Madden still can't figure out that would make the maximum number of people happy.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame8544
I'm a broken record but once again, individual customization is key. EA not allowing us to edit players potential ratings as well as edit players, or at least draft classes, in franchise is ridiculous.

Allow people to do what they want to do with THEIR game. Half of the complaints people are making about the game wouldn't be happening if people could just customize the game to their liking. 2k seems to understand this. Their games aren't perfect, but at least they let the player do want their want with the game.
Actually you can "break" the system and give these players a better potential grade, however using my method I have not found a way to ever lower it again if you save so I recommend saving the default roster as a backup.

Simply go into player edit from the rosters menu and edit their ratings enough to move them to the next level. For example change enough on Brian Robiskie to get his overall to be 80 or above then accept your changes. Then go back into edit and change anything you changed back to the original level and accept the changes again. His overall will return to what is was originally but his potential will stay a B rather than going back to a C.

This method will not work inside a franchise since you cannot edit attributes. However you can change a players position and certain position changes will raise a players overall enough to break them into the next potential grade. Accept the changes to lock it in then go back in and reset the player back to the original position and the overall goes back to where it was but the potential stays higher. This does not work with all potions especially not for QB, RB, CB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
MVP

TheGame8544's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knapper
Actually you can "break" the system and give these players a better potential grade, however using my method I have not found a way to ever lower it again if you save so I recommend saving the default roster as a backup.

Simply go into player edit from the rosters menu and edit their ratings enough to move them to the next level. For example change enough on Brian Robiskie to get his overall to be 80 or above then accept your changes. Then go back into edit and change anything you changed back to the original level and accept the changes again. His overall will return to what is was originally but his potential will stay a B rather than going back to a C.

This method will not work inside a franchise since you cannot edit attributes. However you can change a players position and certain position changes will raise a players overall enough to break them into the next potential grade. Accept the changes to lock it in then go back in and reset the player back to the original position and the overall goes back to where it was but the potential stays higher. This does not work with all potions especially not for QB, RB, CB.
Good stuff man. Thanks for that.

But how about this Madden team? Let us edit the draft classes in franchise!!!!

[/End rant]
Old 08-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
CSL
Pro

OVR: 8

Can names, heights, weights, schools, gear etc be changed on generated draftees/rookies?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

^Nope.

Don't really understand why they don't let us have control either.

Not like it matters to anybody else if you make your whole team 99's in your own franchise. Not saying I'd ever do that, but still.

Wait..I do understand.

If we had control it would make the Madden Franchise DLC useless. There's your answer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »