Home

can they patch the jaggies away?

This is a discussion on can they patch the jaggies away? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 25
can they patch the jaggies away?

question to everyone, can EA patch the jaggyness of the players away or are we stuck with this crap?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Pro

thbends's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: can they patch the jaggies away?

I'm assuming it can not be patched. What kind of TV do you have?

Madden looks great on my 55 inch 1080i TV... but it's an older model HDTV. On my son's TV it can look rough until you change the settings. He has an awesome TV though.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 36

Yeah, I agree with thbends. Madden looks great under the correct settings. Sometimes I get a few jaggies, but nothing disasterous.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
Pro

thbends's Arena

OVR: 9

I thought about this for a few minutes and remembered that Madden 10 looked jaggy on the 32 inch Sony HDTV we have in our bedroom. There was really nothing I could do about that. It's highest rez though was 720p. Nice/new HDTV.

My 55 inch is a rear projection HDTV. I know it's old... but it works fine for me. kind of softens the edges a little.

Now my son's tv is 36 or 42 inch 1080p HDTV. Not sure about the brand. I'ld look but I'm at work. His tv actually has a huge array of settings you can tweak. I think it even has a gaming setting. If your tv has settings go in and play with the contrast and things like that. If it's like my son's tv it probably has all kinds of settings that will make it look better.

Also... realize a lot of HDTVs out of the box are set way too sharp and way to bright. To a casual viewer they think because the image seems to "pop" that it must be a better picture. This is actually NOT true. I work in TV and graphics so I'm not just blowing smoke up your... well you know. Try calibrating your tv so the color and brightness are correct.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 25

I have a Bravia 1080p set 40"

i sit pretty close to it so maybe that's the reason it stands out so much at me

SPECIFICALLY: the LB's and godhelpme, the DB's..

madden 10 wasnt like this at all, sigh

the hell is EA doing grr argh
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 15

I guess I'm in the minority in that I don't see too many jaggies. I have a 32" Sharp Aquos 1080P and own the game for 360. Game looks good to me.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thbends
I thought about this for a few minutes and remembered that Madden 10 looked jaggy on the 32 inch Sony HDTV we have in our bedroom. There was really nothing I could do about that. It's highest rez though was 720p. Nice/new HDTV.

My 55 inch is a rear projection HDTV. I know it's old... but it works fine for me. kind of softens the edges a little.

Now my son's tv is 36 or 42 inch 1080p HDTV. Not sure about the brand. I'ld look but I'm at work. His tv actually has a huge array of settings you can tweak. I think it even has a gaming setting. If your tv has settings go in and play with the contrast and things like that. If it's like my son's tv it probably has all kinds of settings that will make it look better.

Also... realize a lot of HDTVs out of the box are set way too sharp and way to bright. To a casual viewer they think because the image seems to "pop" that it must be a better picture. This is actually NOT true. I work in TV and graphics so I'm not just blowing smoke up your... well you know. Try calibrating your tv so the color and brightness are correct.

Sharpness actually does next to nothing on a new HDTV. It is just one of several legacy controls from the good old CRT days, that for what ever reason, we are still offered today.

You are correct though. A calibration is always necessary to have the optimal enjoyment out of viewing your TV.

Short of paying someone for doing a calibration, or if you do not have an industrial or consumer grade light meter, there are a couple of things that would at least get you on the right track.

If you have your TV in Vivid, take it off. NOW! Vivid is the absolute worst mode to have your TV on. Not only does it not output the full resolution of your TV (yes, this is indeed true) it also will usually have many "features" automatically engaged that you do not want, and can not defeat. Namely Edge Enhancement and over excessive Noise Reduction. Put your TV on Movie Mode, which is just about always the most accurate setting out of the box on every TV in terms of Gray Scale and Gamma.

Then, turn off every EE, NR, Color Corrector, Black Corrector, etc.. type feature that is currently on. Turn the Sharpness to zero. It won't make much difference, because as I said before, it is a legacy control that really has no purpose on modern sets, but since it does nothing anyway, might as well turn it to zero on the off chance that it is doing even a miniscule amount of harm.

Then set your brightness and Picture. If you don't have a test disc, you can't set it accurately, but setting it around 50 will usually be at least in the Ball Park. For the brightness, you are on your own as there is no way for me to suggest a level that will give you peak light output yet not crush your whites. This is something that you need a test disc to do. I can tell you though, that LCDs will crush whites much more quickly than a Plasma, so if you have an LCD, you might want to set it lower than what your eyes are telling you, you should to compensate.

Once you have done that, short of getting a calibration or buying equipment to do it yourself, like I have, or at least getting a test pattern disc, this is about as good as it's gonna get.

Good luck

Last edited by Only1LT; 08-13-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 49

Jaggies are bad on ps3(I have a ps3). The xbox 360 is better.

The better the tv, the more flaws you will see. On my 24" lcd monitor(720p,1080,1080p), you can see every jaggy on ever annimation. On my 52" Bravia(720,1080,1080p) the graphics arent so great looking at all. Its all very strange.

*Based off Demo.... I wont be buying Madden 11

Last edited by wheelman990; 08-13-2010 at 04:18 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »