Home

Gamestop price drop ALREADY..is Madden hurting for sales this year?

This is a discussion on Gamestop price drop ALREADY..is Madden hurting for sales this year? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #25
Rookie

Deelron's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Gamestop price drop ALREADY..is Madden hurting for sales this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reejer
Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello called sales of Madden NFL 10 "discouraging," indicating they're down from the previous year's titles.
http://kotaku.com/5356597/ea-boss-do...adden-10-sales
The graphs are pretty helpful, do you know of any information that covers the other platforms not listed, say the mobile phone market?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #26
vs. the World

frankplastictrees's Arena

OVR: 7

I only paid $20 as well due to the trade in deal. A friend gave me Lego Star Wars, and I only paid $15 for Oblivion, so on the trade in a lone I made money. My copy was freezing on me, so I exchanged it for another which did the same. That combined with me hating how the game plays, I went back to Gamestop and exchanged it one more time so I could get a sealed copy which is now sitting on eBay.

So I guess at least the game is going to net me at least $40 profit, although I'd gladly give that up for a good game.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #27
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Well if you look at the sales in-depth you'll see that they've had a big problem replacing the ps2 players with ps3 players. The ratio of sales to console install base seems to be about the same, only the install bases are much smaller. The PS2 install base at the end of 2005 was about 37 million (http://www.vgchartz.com/hw_annual_summary.php just subtract sales from 55 million until you get to 2005), and in that year they sold about 4.5 million copies, or 12.1% of the install base purchased the game. In 2009 they sold 2.3 million copies of the game to roughly 18.6 million install base of the 360 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#Sales) which equates to about 12.5% of the install base purchasing the game.

On PS3 they sold 1.85 Million to about 14.2 million PS3 owners, or 13% of the userbase. The problem isn't the sales of the game, it's that the ps3 and 360 today don't COMBINE to reach the install base of just the PS2 in 2005 (the largest selling year for the ps2 version of the game). If anything they are doing better, comparatively speaking.

EDIT: Oh, and to answer the concerns year over year, notice that the PS3 sales rise while the 360 sales fall. The combined ps3 and 360 sales actually went up in 2009 over 2008 (4.18 million in 2009 compared to 4.09 million in 2008).

Last edited by mrprice33; 08-14-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 2

i havent got the game yet, hopefully within 3 months it'll be down to $30 or $20
Old 08-14-2010, 04:21 PM   #29
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

Doubtful. Normally the pricing doesn't get that low until well after the season.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #30
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8204
Yup...they're called "loss leaders". They'll attract people to the store with a new item at a good price (or some other promotion- $10 gift card with purchase or something), then hope you buy other, regularly-priced merchandise while you're there.
Bingo......Marketing 101.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #31
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
That is utterly false. On next gen, they have been selling more and more each year.

But not near legacy levels though.
Total sales of Madden across all platforms has gone down every single year. This is a fact. Yes current gen sales increase every year, but the amount that they increase is not enough to offset the number of lower last gen sales. In short, everyone that used to buy the game on PS2 or XBOX is NOT buying the game on either platform anymore.

So, yes. Sales have gone down EVERY year since the exclusive, without exception.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #32
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

Lol did you just ignore my post or what? The same % of people are buying the game now as did in the ps2 days. The userbase is just much lower.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »