Home

So why does everyone do the opposite of real life and differ on the opening kickoff?

This is a discussion on So why does everyone do the opposite of real life and differ on the opening kickoff? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Rbk
Rookie

Rbk's Arena

OVR: 5
So why does everyone do the opposite of real life and differ on the opening kickoff?

It's been like that since I started playing online many years ago but even more so this year. Pretty much everyone chooses to open the game by kicking off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Rookie

Eclipso's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: So why does everyone do the opposite of real life and differ on the opening kicko

I do it for ball control reasons, close out the second with a scoring drive and start the third with a scoring drive if all goes well.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: So why does everyone do the opposite of real life and differ on the opening kicko

It's so easy to run clock with the shorter quarters a lot of times people will try to end the half with a score and then get the ball back at halftime.
NBA: Charlotte Hornets
NHL: Carolina Hurricanes
Old 08-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Pro

videlsports's Arena

OVR: 25
Post Re: So why does everyone do the opposite of real life and differ on the opening kicko

People want the ball @ half, so if they have a bad game the can recover with a solid gameplan, if they are winning they can dominate and demorilize you with trying to stop them one more time
MLB:PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
NCAAFB:PENN ST (Jerry's Gone PSU Moves on)
NCAABB:KENTUCKY WILDCATS
Old 08-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

A lot of teams elect to kickoff when they win the toss. If you break it down its prolly close to 50/50 overall. I always elect to kick. It gives you an advantage. It allows you to tailor the 2nd half to your play style. Getting the ball first in the first quarter is kinda pointless. Especially this year where you're more than likely going to have a high scoring shootout where neither player can stop the other from scoring.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

I always receive if I get the option. I like to take the ball and score on the first drive. Puts a lot of pressure on the opponent if you do that. And I like to play ball control, i.e., long drives of 5+ minutes.

EDIT: Also, your title is really confusing.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Just a different mentality I guess. I don't.

My choice depends on my team. If I have a dominant defense, I'll choose to kick because I want my defense to set the tone. Otherwise, I'll always elect to receive... no sense in getting the 2nd half kickoff if the game is already decided. It becomes a wasted possession. If I elect to receive to start the game, I'm guaranteeing myself to receive the kickoff while the game is still in the balance.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

I personally almost always elect to receive, but most people defer.

Keep in mind, however, that it is becoming increasingly common for NFL teams to elect to defer. Most still choose to receive, because it's always nice to get a jump on the opponent or at least try to start off with an advantage in the battle for field position. The reason you used to never see it is because the NFL had a silly rule that wasn't reflected in Madden, which essentially meant that the winner of the coin toss could elect to kick or receive, and the opposing team would then have the option to either kick or receive after halftime. What that meant was that you HAD to select to receive or you're going to kickoff to start both halves. Last year (or maybe the year before?...) was the first in which they can choose to defer and then they can get the ball after halftime.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »