Home

10 or 11 and why?

This is a discussion on 10 or 11 and why? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
10 or 11 and why?

I've made my choice. After selling 10 back in September of last year, I decided to re-purchase it and sell 11. Here's why:

- Kicking: The 3-click method in 11 feels like a step backwards. I prefer the r-stick for kicking.

- Kick returns: There is zero blocking in 11. The returns in 10 feel much more dynamic and I get varied results for my myself and the CPU.

- Control: I like the idea of locomotion, but I just can't really feel it in 11. The players in 10 feel more responsive.

- Offense: Way too much in 11. I have tried adjusting sliders, but the gameplay is so far out of balance that I haven't been able to bring it back in line even with the sliders. I'd rather start with something closer to what I want and adjust slightly rather than worry about having to reel in a game that is way out of line.

- Polish: Too many glitches in 11 ruin the experience. As an example, on close 1st downs where the chain gang comes out, the status bar will tell you the result before the chain gang animation has finished. The play action problem takes that aspect of the game right out.

- New features: The new features are useless to me. I already mentioned locomotion. Gameflow and Gameplan are nice ideas that need to be beefed up before it can be of any real use to me. The new announcer is no better than the one from last year, and the sound comes off worse because he sound like he's in a different booth than Collinsworth.

*Maybe* a patch will correct most of these, but I'm not going to sit around until mid-September with the hope that they will fix these things. I can get the patches for 10 now, and I know what I'm getting. For this year, it's 10 and updated rosters for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59
Re: 10 or 11 and why?

I'm actually enjoying 10 quite a bit more than 11 right now, because in M10, I could play a defensive struggle occasionally. In M11 it feels more like Arena football in that you just have to score big points to win. It seems to me to be easier than M10 even with tweaked sliders to heavily Favor the CPU.

I'm really hoping that Ian and company have some tuning and patch magic forthcoming to salvage the defense in M11. This is the most offensive minded and unbalanced Madden I've played since Madden 2004, and I ended up selling that game.

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Old 08-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
JVM
Banned

OVR: 7

Both you guys make interesting points that I see as well. The only thing I see differently is the new kicking meter, I like it. The CPU pass rush in Madden 11 seems unrealistic to me. Funny thing is I bought Madden 10 just a few weeks before Madden 11 came out and find myself more inclined to play Madden 10. I hope they make some improvements in Madden 11, play action and that "awesome pass rush" along with that Strategy Pad fix.

I will continue to play Madden 11, but it looks like Madden 10 will get most of my time, at least until they make some improvements on Madden 11.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 11

Overall I feel that Madden '10 is the superior game to Madden '11.

However, I do like the kicking in Madden '11 better. I think the 3 kick system, even though it's a "step back", makes kicking more realistic. With the R-Stick kick system they had last year, it was too simple. Just line up and kick, the only stat that mattered was kick power, which was way too overpowered when Sebastian Janikowski was nailing 60+ yard field goals just as easy as he was nailing extra points, just so long as you lined it up right.

That might be the one thing in the game that I feel is better in Madden '11 than Madden '10.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

What does that say when we are complementing the new kicking system as being "one thing" that is better in M11 than in M10?

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 9

It says that they didn't do anything in the last 12 months to improve the game.

My overall feeling is that they just didn't even try this time around. The gameflow and gameplan could not have taken much development time. It's very basic. The presentation is 95% the same. All they did was replace the music, an announcer, and add a few cutscenes. Oh, and they removed the halftime highlights which was one of the better things about their presentation.

I know some like the kicking meter, but to me that and the strategy pad were steps backwards.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk

My overall feeling is that they just didn't even try this time around. The gameflow and gameplan could not have taken much development time. It's very basic. The presentation is 95% the same. All they did was replace the music, an announcer, and add a few cutscenes. Oh, and they removed the halftime highlights which was one of the better things about their presentation.

I know some like the kicking meter, but to me that and the strategy pad were steps backwards.
With all due respect, you can't be serious...

Don't get me wrong. Madden 10 is a good game, but to go back to the old game because of the kick meter and you don't like slowing down to run seems a little out of sorts. Here's what you might not have considered when making your selection:

Locomotion Control ::

Madden 10 only allows the runner to run 2 speeds (3 if you count stopping). Madden 11 has full analog control. Try it: go into practice mode and make the ball carrier walk with the ball on Madden 10. IT'S NOT POSSIBLE. If anything Madden 10 gives you the illusion of control and response where there is none.

If that doesn't prove it... Try running and coming to a stop simply by releasing the stick. Notice how your back keeps moving for another 3-5 yards... That's not what I consider responsive or control.

Kick Meter ::

The "step back" is merely a way to indicate that new is not necessarily improved. With the old style kick meter, people miss more kicks. With the stick linked to the kick meter, 63 yard kicks were the NORM as opposed to the exception (aim low with full power).

Whereas on Madden 11 I've already seen one instance where aiming low for long kicks makes them easier to block and countless missed FG. Special Teams are important again.

Too Much Offense

My experience is that the offense is a function of the new locomotion system and how it affects defensive players. Far too many people are used to moving without analog control on NG and have developed bad habits that they must break in order to play defense effectively.

The trick is learning to maintain a player's momentum through changes of direction. People making a change in directions by pushing the stick through the center of it's range are inadvertently telling their players to SLOW DOWN - STOP - THEN RUN TO THE BALL. To maintain momentum, players will need to learn to swing the stick around the edges of its range and circle around to the ball and maintain speed and momentum.

Once people develop better habits for breaking to the ball and pursuit, the offensive production will nose-dive.

Polish

Can't say I've noticed either of the issues you mention... that tells me I'm not paying enough attention, or you're paying way too much.

If these details foul your experience to the point you have to go back to Madden 10, I'm saddened and believe you are giving up WAY TOO FAST, but I hope you have fun anyway.

Later
Old 08-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk

Exactly, which is why I didn't bother with Madden 11. Gamers at other sites are saying the same thing you guys are. And from what I hear, Franchise hasn't changed either. So why plunk down $60 for Madden 10.5?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »