Home

Madden's Biggest Long-Time Issue?

This is a discussion on Madden's Biggest Long-Time Issue? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Madden's Biggest Long-Time Issue?
Excessive QB Dropbacks 20 17.54%
Jetpacking 5 4.39%
Removal of FairPlay Rules Online 13 11.40%
Lack of Full Rosters 28 24.56%
Removal of Individual Coverage Audibles 8 7.02%
Online Quitters 3 2.63%
Collision Detection 37 32.46%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #41
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Madden's Biggest Long-Time Issue?

For me, it's a tie between collision detection and coverage issues.

If you could shade wrs inside, you can cover the drags,slants and crossing routes for a longer period of time. Also, I hate having to play off the te because I wanted to play off my opponents fast wr, it makes very very exploitable coverage. If I cover the deep pass and play off the wr, the te is open on an underneath route. Both these problems make the passing game way too easy.

Add in the no collision detection and you have way too many broken tackles and big gains after the catch. It's no wonder the defense is so lacking in this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 28

I would say that there should be an option for all of the above

Anyhow, definitely lacking basic football fundamentals is the problem. QB drop backs, missing penalties, challenge system, tackling.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
However, I have to agree with Ian, game play is the most important part of Madden. Everything else comes second.now, you can comment all you like about how good of a job they did on game play and if it was worth it or not, that's not what i am talking about. So, when we talk about the most important issue of Madden that must be fixed, again I feel that game play issues have to go at the top of that list.

Most people have to admit, game play in Madden 11 is so much better than anything we have played this generation. In fact, after the snap, it's the best game play I have had out of one single game of madden. I say after the snap because things like shading your corners, man lock and other pre-snap options and settings are still missing. Play calling is still not right yet, though GameFlow is nice and game planing is really where it is at. If you want to talk play calling, see BezO.
Game-play is more important than franchise mode, but I'm past prioritizing anything at this point. Prioritizing simply means that we're likely going to sacrifice one aspect for another. This is the sixth iteration of Madden; the community, the fan base is past that. Two or three years ago, I'd be fine with getting a game where the game-play was fleshed out and the franchise upgrades were at minimum. It's about time for a complete, not perfect, but a complete game.

To be honest, since it was their focal point, I would have been satisfied with just the game-play improvements, but the improvements weren't significant enough. The game is an a improvement over M10, but that's not good enough. M11 is still behind 2k8, game-play wise, and 2k8 was made three years ago. Until we get a game that's three or four development cycles better than 2k8, I won't be satisfied.

Last edited by LiquorLogic; 08-19-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
Game-play is more important than franchise mode, but I'm past prioritizing anything at this point. Prioritizing simply means that we're likely going to sacrifice one aspect for another. This is the sixth iteration of Madden; the community, the fan base is past that. Two or three years ago, I'd be fine with getting a game where the game-play was fleshed out and the franchise upgrades were at minimum. It's about time for a complete, not perfect, but a complete game.

To be honest, since it was their focal point, I would have been satisfied with just the game-play improvements, but the improvement weren't significant enough. The game is an a improvement over M10, but that's not good enough. M11 is still behind 2k8, game-play wise, and 2k8 was made three years ago. Until we get a game that's three or four development cycles better than 2k8, I won't be satisfied.
Outstanding post, I am right there with you. I also agree with PGaither that gameplay is king. Ultimately, you want to play football. The gameplay is better than it's been, but for 2k vets, it is still a step backwards in many aspects. However, it is finally at a point where it is very enjoyable.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
Outstanding post, I am right there with you. I also agree with PGaither that gameplay is king. Ultimately, you want to play football. The gameplay is better than it's been, but for 2k vets, it is still a step backwards in many aspects. However, it is finally at a point where it is very enjoyable.
It is fun, if you play online or against human opponents, but the game gets stale if you play the CPU. I haven't even started a franchise and I don't even know if I will. I've made a pact to myself that I'm not going to touch 2k8 until next spring when info is out for Madden twelve; I'll probably be bored of M11 by then.. If I do, it will be a rap. I just gets pissed off again and stop playing Madden 11. There are so many things that game does right, and thinking what NFL2k11 would be would just make my blood boil.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #46
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
It is fun, if you play online or against human opponents, but the game gets stale if you play the CPU. I haven't even started a franchise and I don't even know if I will. I've made a pact to myself that I'm not going to touch 2k8 until next spring when info is out for Madden twelve; I'll probably be bored of M11 by then.. If I do, it will be a rap. I just gets pissed off again and stop playing Madden 11. There are so many things that game does right, and thinking what NFL2k11 would be would just make my blood boil.
I used to do the same thing, but there are some things in Madden 11 that are actually really done well. It is closer to 2k8 gameplay than it has ever been. I am an online guy as well, always playing the guys on my friends list. Playing a human changes the game entirely and really brings out the chess match. It plays a fairly realistic game of football against a person and is very fun. Now that the blocking has been fixed it's certainly playable. Defense is very difficult, but with proper adjustments, it is certainly serviceable. Hopefully we will get a patch that will address many of the issues.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #47
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
I used to do the same thing, but there are some things in Madden 11 that are actually really done well. It is closer to 2k8 gameplay than it has ever been. I am an online guy as well, always playing the guys on my friends list. Playing a human changes the game entirely and really brings out the chess match. It plays a fairly realistic game of football against a person and is very fun. Now that the blocking has been fixed it's certainly playable. Defense is very difficult, but with proper adjustments, it is certainly serviceable. Hopefully we will get a patch that will address many of the issues.
You're right, M11 is getting closer to 2k8. They started with M10. M10 started to incorporate some 2kish aspects, but they were essentially cosmetic. They slowed the game down, toned down the QB drop backs(even though it was still exploitable), and added some form of a pocket.

In M11, they've continued to incorporate some more things from 2k8: locomotion, improved run blocking, more meaningful ratings other than speed, better crowd noise, sideline catches and the DEs get up the field more when rushing the passer. What we need now is double hit tackling, dynamic struggles in the trenches and players that have more personality that reflects there real life counter-parts.

Physics is a must too, but we won't be getting that in Madden 12 unless 2k comes out with an NCAA game that has physics. Even then Madden probably won't have it as 2k, if they implemented them, wouldn't reveal that too the public until it was a couple of months before the game is released.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:05 AM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxallday
Exactly, most of those were during the off-season, and besides, Madden used to have CPU trading during the season, but they would trade their star QB for another teams star HB and back-up QB. To many unrealistic trades, so they scrapped the whole CPU trading during the season idea.
so wut if they take place during the offseason they are a part of the nfl. just because the draft takes place during the offseason and the cpu AI is bad and drafts players they dont need should they take that out of the game too?

the proper approach would be to fix the AI and i would be ok with star player changing teams for example boldin, mcnab, cutler, and marshall.

EAs approaches too many broken features or gameplay mechanics in the wrong way they either get rid of it all together or they break something else to make it look like it was fixed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »