Home

Least Favorite thing in Madden 11?

This is a discussion on Least Favorite thing in Madden 11? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #17
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Least Favorite thing in Madden 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallH4wk31
The fact the game is geared towards offense and high scoring and will go that way despite good ratings, strategy or user play. I've always been nasty on the D sticks, now I can't cover, tackle or force a mistake at all. It's not adjusting to a new game, the potential just isn't there. If you were to ask Vegas for a generic over/under score of a full football game it'd be between 40-50, as in both teams would total 40-50 points by combining their score. Here one team scores 40+ alone, that is not good.
I don't quite agree with that, but I may not be playing the right people online either.

I am 2-0 in ranked games, but don't have a big interest in playing ranked. I play a lot of un ranked and OTP right now. Most of our games are 8min quarters and they are not that high scoring. In fact I played a 5min quarter game against someone [recorded it and may put it on youtube, at least the highlights] and I won 17-0 when he quit inside the final 2min warning.

I agree it is difficult to play D in this game, and maybe I am playing againt poor competition, but overall I have been forcing mistakes and getting user picks and big stops off of those mistakes a number of times. It really isn't that big of a "trick" either. I just call a lot of cover three zone blitzes and mix in a cover two zone/zone blitz and a normal cover three zone to mix it up. I send pressure from all over, rarely calling the same play twice if I can help it. I also tend to user cover a specific area I think they may try to take advantage of. Commonly I will user cover the sideline/flats/buzz zone general area going where ever the receiver looks like he is going while I sent a blitz that pressures the QB into making quick throws.

My real frustration is the ranked players who want to rocket catch and do things like that. that really isn't Madden 11's fault as much as it is Madden's fault in general. the only new thing that is really bothering me is the lack of proper defense against outside runs and the advantage a user has to break a tackle. I have seen Patrick Willis have his takles broken by users it makes me sick. EA admited that when events happen, they try to "reward the user" by giving them a slight bonus. If you want to tackle someone, you had better be user controlling the defender to counter the other guy's advantage.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84

the lack of consecutive hit tackles/real time physics
I agree 100%. Between backbreaker, APF2k8, and 2K5, madden needs to revamp its tackle system and momentum, its old. But then how did 2k5 have consecutive hit tackles 5 years ago???
Old 08-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 3

[quote=PGaither84;2041500712]That is patently untrue. This year didn't get much of anything, but Madden 10 was a huge improvement over 09.

What were the "huge Improvements"? I haven't seen much change in franchise mode. Offseason is the same, progression is weak, the overall mode is weak. If you are talking about getting rid of training or something that is not what i am referring to, i am talking about franchise mode as in the organizational concept
Old 08-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #20
Pro

PRAY IV M3RCY's Arena

OVR: 4

superstar mode is a freakin JOKE!

frachise mode is stale

My biggest gripe is why dont players run like they use too on the ps2? Its like we payed more for a better system just to get weaker gameplay. Doesnt make since.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I don't quite agree with that, but I may not be playing the right people online either.

I am 2-0 in ranked games, but don't have a big interest in playing ranked. I play a lot of un ranked and OTP right now. Most of our games are 8min quarters and they are not that high scoring. In fact I played a 5min quarter game against someone [recorded it and may put it on youtube, at least the highlights] and I won 17-0 when he quit inside the final 2min warning.

I agree it is difficult to play D in this game, and maybe I am playing againt poor competition, but overall I have been forcing mistakes and getting user picks and big stops off of those mistakes a number of times. It really isn't that big of a "trick" either. I just call a lot of cover three zone blitzes and mix in a cover two zone/zone blitz and a normal cover three zone to mix it up. I send pressure from all over, rarely calling the same play twice if I can help it. I also tend to user cover a specific area I think they may try to take advantage of. Commonly I will user cover the sideline/flats/buzz zone general area going where ever the receiver looks like he is going while I sent a blitz that pressures the QB into making quick throws.

My real frustration is the ranked players who want to rocket catch and do things like that. that really isn't Madden 11's fault as much as it is Madden's fault in general. the only new thing that is really bothering me is the lack of proper defense against outside runs and the advantage a user has to break a tackle. I have seen Patrick Willis have his takles broken by users it makes me sick. EA admited that when events happen, they try to "reward the user" by giving them a slight bonus. If you want to tackle someone, you had better be user controlling the defender to counter the other guy's advantage.
You've played 2 ranked games, that is way too small of a sample size for that kind of analysis.

Maybe you have a slow tempo game, but I run the ball and take short passes too, I'm not throwing deep barely ever. I sometimes break big plays, but I am generally conservative. I've been playing ranked for years now, I've seen every kind of assy cheese offense there is and I'm really good at stopping it. Even rocket catch, even pa x clown, even screens every down, goal line every play, you name it and I've put a lid on it. I have fantastic user skill. In Madden 09 or 10 I used to suffocate offenses, maybe 21 pts a game if they were lucky.

In my experience, unranked is for a few people.
1-players who don't want to face cheesy offenses.
2- players who don't want to play people who will just try to get a win any way possible.
3-people who play their friends.
4-beginners who don't want a bad rank.
5-really good players who want to match up with other ones privately.

When I played unranked, I usually score or get a turnover and then get the "your opponent has left the match." It's really not a good barometer for skill.

I'll pull up a few recent games I've had, I get my stats emailed.

Team packers vikings
Points 41 35
Passing Yards 410 370
Sacks 0 1
Interceptions 2 1

Team packers cowboys
Points 42 45
Passing Yards 363 532
Sacks 1 0
Interceptions 2 1

Team steelers bengals
Points 45 52
Passing Yards 197 445
Sacks 1 1
Interceptions 2 3

Team Stats Your Team Opponent Team
Team jets vikings
Points 35 31
Passing Yards 339 307
Sacks 1 0
Interceptions 0 2

Team Stats Your Team Opponent Team
Team ravens jets
Points 38 35
Passing Yards 335 278
Sacks 0 1
Interceptions 2 0

Team bengals colts
Points 48 35
Passing Yards 377 309
Sacks 0 1
Interceptions 0 4

I've only played about 10-12 games ranked, those are my last 4. Again, I play a short, conservative game. Though I have high scores, I take what the D gives me in generally a short and methodical driving manner. The D is broken, they're even correcting it in the upcoming patch (pass D and tackling).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
You guys do realize franchise mode is supposed to be the greatest its ever been enxt year? Of course we don't know what to really expect, but I am holding EA to very high standards if they are willing to take 2 years to rebuild the mode.

Hopefully we'll get Head Coach 12 as our franchise mode along with Madden 12 gameplay. Then we'll have a great game. I'm going to stop before I get off topic any more.
When and where did EA say, or imply somehow, that Madden 12 will have it's greatest year ever ? All EA said was that franchise would take well over a year to do correctly, and that they were starting with a clean slate heading into development for Madden 12 ?
Old 08-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #23
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
When and where did EA say, or imply somehow, that Madden 12 will have it's greatest year ever ? All EA said was that franchise would take well over a year to do correctly, and that they were starting with a clean slate heading into development for Madden 12 ?
Why do people keep saying this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Frazier on Madden 12 franchise mode
It's going to be an interesting year, I think we are going to be able to give alot of our hardcore fans exactly what they want from our career mode in the game aswell as provide them with things they never really expected to get.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
It's going to be an interesting year, I think we are going to be able to give alot of our hardcore fans exactly what they want from our career mode in the game as well as provide them with things they never really expected to get.
That part scares me to death.

It was bad enough NOT getting stuff we expected to get in Madden 11, but for them to be that vague about things we aren't expecting makes me think one thing....

Franchise Mode for 'casual gamers'.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »