Home

Madden NFL 11: The How and Why's of Hit Sticking

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11: The How and Why's of Hit Sticking within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2010, 04:30 AM   #33
Banned

OVR: 10
Would looove to see more attribute evaluations for attributes outside of Hit Power. The Madden Team may not put deep thought into these ratings, but there is no reason we can't. Lately im trying to find the solution to not have the game produce 100 more sacks per season than the real NFL average.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:49 AM   #34
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Wow... math...

C'mon, are you all serious? I'm sorry, throw all your math out the damn window: Some people know how to hit! Period!

I'll take a Kris Jenkins hit over Adam Archuletta anyday. Archuletta was small, slow, and couldn't cover anybody, but he could knock the stuffing out of people... and I'll be he wouldn't even register on this tackling dummy. Some people know how to hit, period.

As for low defensive lineman hit power ratings... they don't get high hit power because the ratings are based on scouting reports, primarily, and defensive linemen rarely get opportunities to line up big hits. How often do you see a big hit from a tackle? How about a safety? It's pretty clear why... we simply don't have the data on these guys to make a judgment.

And the fact that they don't hit people like that means I seriously doubt they ever learn to really lay lumber like a John Lynch (another little guy that proves all your equations mean precisely f*** all).
Old 08-25-2010, 06:18 AM   #35
Rookie

Double C's Arena

OVR: 22
Very interesting read. But playing Madden would become a full time job (without salary) if we had to know every rating of every potential ball carrier.

My screenshot albums
Just Win on Madden Baby

Last edited by Double C; 08-25-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2010, 06:28 AM   #36
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Madden NFL 11: The How and Why's of Hit Sticking

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Wow... math...

C'mon, are you all serious? I'm sorry, throw all your math out the damn window: Some people know how to hit! Period!

I'll take a Kris Jenkins hit over Adam Archuletta anyday. Archuletta was small, slow, and couldn't cover anybody, but he could knock the stuffing out of people... and I'll be he wouldn't even register on this tackling dummy. Some people know how to hit, period.

As for low defensive lineman hit power ratings... they don't get high hit power because the ratings are based on scouting reports, primarily, and defensive linemen rarely get opportunities to line up big hits. How often do you see a big hit from a tackle? How about a safety? It's pretty clear why... we simply don't have the data on these guys to make a judgment.

And the fact that they don't hit people like that means I seriously doubt they ever learn to really lay lumber like a John Lynch (another little guy that proves all your equations mean precisely f*** all).
You feel that math is obsolete, I respect that.

However, mathematics is the language of science and explains everything on the football field from hits (even guys like Adam Archuletta and John Lynch) and pursuit angles to throws and injuries. Example: A knee ligament can handle 500 pounds of force to be exerted prior to rupture.

And yes, some people do know how to hit, but they still have to respect the laws of physics. It's plain and simple.

A quick example of math in football. An offensive line (consisting of 5 people) weighing approximately 1500 pounds in total has to create a forward momentum of more than 15 mph to produce a push of 1100 pounds on the defensive line (usually consisting of 3 or 4 people). Now this is a simplification because the offensive and defensive line aren't one entity, but consists of several individual players. This does give us an idea as to why more heavy people up front is usually a good thing when running up the middle all things equal.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:22 AM   #37
Rookie

Triathlete_201's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney8
Do casual fans actually enjoy not being able to do anything on Defense?
I think so. Playing D is too complicated for the casual player. Most won't even attempt to do anything or just control a D lineman and hope the CPU makes a play. It's all about the O for them. I'm talking with experience about the casuals. I have a couple buddies who'd I call casuals and that's exactly the way they play...and they love this year's Madden..
Old 08-25-2010, 10:10 AM   #38
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

Yet another reason for ratings being made in a standard that will treat every player equally and not set ratings based on performance, fame, or position.

If a QB turns out to have 90 speed or a DT 83 speed give it to them. Tyson Alualu ran a faster 40 time than Suh and McCoy yet his speed is slower.

EA needs to hire a team of people to evaluate the entire NFL and truly give us an accurate depiction of the players. They then need to hide the Overall rating.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #39
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperhare
Yet another reason for ratings being made in a standard that will treat every player equally and not set ratings based on performance, fame, or position.

If a QB turns out to have 90 speed or a DT 83 speed give it to them. Tyson Alualu ran a faster 40 time than Suh and McCoy yet his speed is slower.

EA needs to hire a team of people to evaluate the entire NFL and truly give us an accurate depiction of the players. They then need to hide the Overall rating.
40 yard times are severely overated.

Padless, on tartan, no reaction time is nothing like football.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #40
Pro

Smoke316's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNABB51BOI
just beacuse he had decent numbers doesnt mean he can run routes and catchs as good as a dallas clark or tony gonzo

this is a good read if the hit stick worked as advertised this year if a WR runs a post you time up the hit i have yet to see a ball jarred loose not 1 it doesnt work .
iv done it plenty of times..with LBs and Safeties. It depends on the WR catch in traffic as well. Just because its a low CIT doesnt always mean hes going to drop it either.. but usually they do..sometimes they get lucky and catch it. someo f you guys want everythign all the time..it doesnt work like that. Last yr the hitstick was WAY too easy. i didnt even use the taclke button. This yr is completely different i rarely use the hit stick unless im in a crowd of peeps and could afford to miss. you guys have to adjust and stop the whining. I love the fact that when i see a hard hit now i get excited for it.. as opposed to last yr where it was commonplace.

Modest in Speech..Superior in Action

Hit me on Twitter - SeanSemps

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »