Home

How to deal with cheesers, specifically the nano blitz

This is a discussion on How to deal with cheesers, specifically the nano blitz within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: How to deal with cheesers, specifically the nano blitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenReign86
If someone is nano blitzing you, just run your offense through the shotgun, and abuse the flats, and if you have a two back set, always keep one of them in to block. I also found that toss plays work pretty well against the nano. IF his LB's have poor awareness try using the Fake FB HB toss play, because a lot of times his LB's will tackle the FB, taking them out of the play.

Another way of countering it, is by using the Wildcat, as long as he is blitzing up the middle. Just don't choose a Wildcat play that has a fake handoff in it, because it will take too long to develope. Your best bet is to just use the QB Sweep play. So that you can get around the edge as quickly as possible, and since most if not all of his LB's will be blitzing, all you would have to do is get by the DE and/or CB and it's at least 15 yards every time.

Need less to say, I have a lot of experience playing cheesers, especially nano blitzers.
which playbook has a qb sweep?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthieOne
which playbook has a qb sweep?
I' pretty sure that the Titans and Eagles PB's have it, and I' almost certain that they have it in other formations other then the WC as well. It may not be called a QB sweep par-say in the WC, but that's what it basically is when you take the snap and take off. There are a few WC plays that are straight run plays (QB, HB, WR, takes snap and follows his blockers) without any handoffs, or PA's, I consider those to be QB sweeps, but some PB's seem to have different names for the same play. Only problem is that some teams are lacking straight run plays in their respective WC formation.

Last edited by GreenReign86; 08-24-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:46 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurr1cane17
No, it's when a person gets straight through the offensive line through a hole between a tackle and a guard or a hole between a guard and the center. it's virtually impossible to stop if the person knows how to do it.
- Stay out of Singleback. It's the easiest formation in football to A-Gap blitz...
- Motion a blocking TE to the problem area and snap the ball when he gets to the gap
- Block to the weak side with a FB from the I-Form

There are literally hundreds of things you can do... I'd start with formation. When the A-Gap is threatened, always bring your protection closer to the area you need protected. Formation is the best way to start.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2010, 05:26 AM   #12
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

There is no such thing as a nano blitz in the "cheese" sense. If you don't have enough people to block the blitzers, you can't block them. Period. NFL teams overload all the damn time...

Interesting that someone mentioned "abusing the flats" as a counter. In this context, you aren't abusing anything. That's precisely how NFL teams counter "nano blitzing".

The nano blitz is an example of how little people really understand the sport.

"he's cheesing me by sending all his rushers from the same side!"

"HA! Cheese him back by throwing to a back to that side! MWAHAHAHA! I'm so insidious!"

Translation...

NFL Quarterback: They're overloading the weak side, we can't slide there quick enough."

NFL Head Coach: Shorten your drop, dump it off to your hot read. They can't cover everyone if everyone's coming after you.

A lot of the "realism" issues you experience online are only issues because people don't call games like NFL coaches. How often do you think NFL teams blitz? Even 3-4 teams rarely send more than 5 when they do blitz... there are 4 rushers on the majority of plays. How often do you think NFL teams bump and run? Most of them... once a quarter, maybe, in specific circumstances. How often do you think an NFL quarterback or center makes a line adjustment? Probably every other play... I'm willing to bet Madden players make line adjustments once or twice a game. How many Madden players understand hot routes (in the NFL sense, not the Madden sense)?

The nano blitz isn't a product of the other guy cheesing, its a product of you not knowing your hot receivers or accounting for potential rushers in your blocking scheme. Everyone's concerned with how to read coverage... if you really want this game to be sim, you're gonna have to learn to read the front.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 08-25-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:19 AM   #13
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Obviously never dealt with a true nano in Madden 08 before slide protection.
There are a lot of ways to deal with the nano now since Madden 09. There are a lot of sim ways to deal with the nano since Madden 09. I agree with AJ, though I don't think he is giving credit where credit is do regarding the power of a nano in online play. We are still playing Madden, a game with AI flaws that people try to exploit. I haven't faced a true nano yet, at least not one I couldn't beat, but maybe it's just that, I haven't faced it yet. I tend to get the ball off quickly anyway.

@adembroski Honestly, a real nano in Madden, to me, has been when you can send around 4 rushers and get one unblocked consistently. I'm not talking about D. Freeney or J. Allen rushing you either, Set ups where your linemen "derp" on a play "every time."
Old 08-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #14
Rookie

Double C's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenReign86
If someone is nano blitzing you, just run your offense through the shotgun, and abuse the flats, and if you have a two back set, always keep one of them in to block. I also found that toss plays work pretty well against the nano. IF his LB's have poor awareness try using the Fake FB HB toss play, because a lot of times his LB's will tackle the FB, taking them out of the play.

Another way of countering it, is by using the Wildcat, as long as he is blitzing up the middle. Just don't choose a Wildcat play that has a fake handoff in it, because it will take too long to develope. Your best bet is to just use the QB Sweep play. So that you can get around the edge as quickly as possible, and since most if not all of his LB's will be blitzing, all you would have to do is get by the DE and/or CB and it's at least 15 yards every time.

Need less to say, I have a lot of experience playing cheesers, especially nano blitzers.
Interesting. I use sweep/toss plays a lot.

My screenshot albums
Just Win on Madden Baby
Old 08-25-2010, 07:51 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'm not really a big online player with Madden, I'm a sim guy in all sports games so playing online with randoms usually frustrates me. But I would think the game gives you enough tools to combat guys who send the house every play.

Slide protection is really useful, especially if the human player is controlling one of the blitzers and getting to your QB consistently. Slide protect his way, or as others have said motion a TE to that side, or snap the ball when he's in the gap you want to protect.

And just like in real football, hot reads are daggers to a blitzing team. Backs in the flats, quick curls or hitches, etc are all useful, and you could net a big gain if the opposing player is sending the house and leaving minimal guys in coverage.

Also, wouldn't screen passes be useful too? Screens are some of my favorite plays in football, and I love running them in Madden as well. For years I've used screens against opponents who blitz a lot and have had success. For extra time, run a slip screen or regular screen to your RB out of the shotgun. Drop back and lure the blitzers toward your QB, then right before they connect dump it to your RB. If he brought the house, there should be lots of room to run.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #16
EA Game Changer

sgibs7's Arena

OVR: 37

Just to clarify...

the only true nano in this years game is the QB Spy glitch!

It wil be removed once the patch comes out -confirmed by Ian!

Lets all understand that if your opponent is sending 4, 5, & 6+ defenders...this should never be considered a "nano" blitz.

From my experiance, most of what you are running into is overload blitzing. How can you stop this? Simply block more defenders then they are blitzing. If your opponent is bringing 3 defenders off the left of the offensive line this is forcing the center or weakside guard to recover and pick up the edge heat. This is very difficult for anyone to do. Look to slide protect where you assume the pressure is coming from as well as keep in a extra blocker on that side. Maybe consider blocking the HB or motioning a WR to that area.

If your opponent is good they will disguise where there pressure is coming from. It will all look the same yet they can bring pressure from any gap. This is where you need to learn your down and distance as well as your opponents tendancys.

Keep a open mind that just because someone is setting up a blitz DOES NOT MEAN they are cheating/glitching. They are overloading the offensive line and forcing YOU to make the proper adjustments to pick up the pressure.

My latest Madden 13 & NCAA 13 strategy guides:
Official EA SPORTS Madden NFL 13 Strategy Guide
Official EA SPORTS NCAA Football 13 Strategy Guide

Learn more about Madden Tips:
www.MaddenTips.com

http://twitter.com/Sgibs7

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »