Home

Has the lack of defense ruined it for you?

This is a discussion on Has the lack of defense ruined it for you? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2010, 10:41 AM   #57
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Has the lack of defense ruined it for you?

The false step, over-done locomotion. Players not reacting to stuff like they should. No pressure from the front 4, meaning you have blitz more than you like in order to get pressure. Very frustrating.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:45 AM   #58
Rookie

ianlast's Arena

OVR: 10

Yes it has. The final straw was a game with SF (me) vs. Jax (CPU).

The setup was:

-all Hum rushing sliders at 0
-all CPU Run Defense sliders at 100
-house rule: No Speed Burst allowed on offense

Early in the second quarter, I had already racked up 120+ yards with Frank Gore on 10 carries, before deciding to switch it off and play NCAA.

The tackling absolutely has to be patched in this game, juking is way too powerful. There's so much potential with this game, but it just feel like an unfinished product.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #59
Banned

OVR: 1

And your true colors show. Just another 2K lover who will never have anything positive to say about Madden. How's this? if they put out sh** every year DONT BUY IT. I personally love the game. I dont like the defense but I have adjusted and I make stops. Look for EA to patch and use the sliders. If you dont want to bother then seriously why bother playing or commenting on it.

I'm not a 2k lover by any means. I've bought NCAA football EVERY year and love it. Correct me if I'm wrong but that game is made by EA too right? My point was that without competition, EA has no pressure or sense of urgency to put out a decent NFL game. I don't care if it's 2k or some two bit company from BFE who makes a football game, I just want to see some competition for NFL games. Go look at the features/gameplay for Madden 2005 and tell me that wasn't VERY close to being the perfect NFL game... Now look at what they've put out since the last year they had competition (2005) and tell me they haven't taken a GIANT step backwards...

My point is that obviously, we are all huge NFL fans and we want a game that plays as close to the real thing as possible. Unfortunately, we're stuck with Madden and that's it. I have no doubt that Madden would be fantastic again if they had another NFL game to compete with but they don't, and it's disgusting to me how they keep putting out the same crap with a different wrapper just because they know we don't have any other options.

You call me a 2k lover yet you endlessly defend Madden and all of it's faults, sounds like you're a blindless Madden lover. If you REALLY loved Madden then you would acknowledge the games faults and make your voice heard so that perhaps, just maybe, the developers would listen and improve THE ONLY option we have for an NFL football game.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 AM   #60
Rookie

MrCheese's Arena

It's not the lack of D... it's the lack of a certain type of D.

Unless your D player is a 90 or higher rated player, they won't work in zone unless they are light and fast. If they are built like a OLB... the yellow zone is junk (most of the time)

But you need to use them from time to time when you think you are going up vs a running play. The locomotion system is great, but it really hurts on D, because your big D players just don't have the ability to react quick enough to the faster WRs and how quick the ball can get in their hands. Once they fix the reaction time and tweak the locomotion system, this game will be just fine. Until then... you need to blitz and use man coverage with lots of CB/DBs on the field.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:06 AM   #61
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
The false step, over-done locomotion. Players not reacting to stuff like they should. No pressure from the front 4, meaning you have blitz more than you like in order to get pressure. Very frustrating.

Playing defense in this game makes me go bonkers!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2010, 12:44 PM   #62
MVP

OVR: 34

Defense is defintely playable this year.

Its hard, requires work, and patience, but it is far from impossible.

The majority of the gripes, im convinced is a mix of the fact that there is a larger gap then we are used to, between defenders who are good, and defenders who are average; along with user error, with a dab of AI legacy issues thrown in.

Your bum safeties, DLs, and LBs, are going to play like average, mediocre, players..and rightfully so. Your studs are going to play well.

Will they give up plays? Yes. But on average, your good players will do what you expect them to do, more then not.

Ive played some quality people online, who are able to play good defense in online ranked, and online franchise..

These people are obviously doing something that the people who are struggling are not.

Perhaps instead of complaining, some of us should spend more time practicing and learning.

Last edited by sportyguyfl31; 08-31-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:47 PM   #63
Next Miami Great

iAM-IncReDiBLe-'s Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31

The majority of the gripes, im convinced is a mix of the fact that there is a larger gap then we are used to, between defenders who are good, and defenders who are average; along with user error, with a dab of AI legacy issues thrown in.

Your bum safeties, DLs, and LBs, are going to play like average, mediocre, players..and rightfully so. Your studs are going to play well.

Will they give up plays? Yes, but on average, your good players will do what you expect them to do, mor then not.

Ive played some quality people online, who are able to play good defense in online ranked, and online franchise..

These people are obviously doing something that the people who are struggling are not.

Perhaps instead of complaining, some of us should spend more time practicing and learning.
Agreed 2,000,000 billions %, ya just need to learn how to play defense. Strafe, don't over peruse, it helps to have good players.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:31 PM   #64
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31

Will they give up plays? Yes. But on average, your good players will do what you expect them to do, more then not.

Play me in a game on All-Pro w/ 7 minute quarters, me being the Colts. Bet I score at least 40 points on you, throw for over 400 yards, and complete over 70% of my passes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »