Home

Opeing Up the Playbook

This is a discussion on Opeing Up the Playbook within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Pro

baller7345's Arena

OVR: 5
Opeing Up the Playbook

I've always loved draw plays since its success was based on deception but with Madden (from 03-10) I was never able to consistently get yards out of them. Madden 11 however has done wonders for this play as for the first time in my experience I can run the draw and actually get yards out of it.

Being a player who plays with GB and a player who likes to stick with the actual roster playing on the field every Sunday this has helped me immensely in keeping a running game going since Brandon Jackson isn't an all world back. The zone running plays also have pleasantly surprised me since cut back lanes are key to their success and I finally have them.

One thing this year's Madden has done that previous ones hasn't is it has me actually using 90% of the GB playbook which makes the game very rewarding as I don't like sticking to the same 10-15 plays every game.

With that said I was wondering what plays if any have any of you discovered that actually work like they are designed in this years madden that never worked in previous years or at least for you.

I put this on the ea forums but it got derailed from the first poster so I figured I try here and see if I actually get some answers that don't involve the defense sucks/my playbook has been ruined.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Opeing Up the Playbook

DEFENSE SUCKS! MY PLAYBOOK HAS BEEN RUINED!
(sorry, couldn't resist)

I have also noticed that the draw play can be effective now in the correct situation. Madden 11 is my first purchase of the current generation, so I'm not terribly familiar with plays that didn't work before I work better now... but even way back in the PS2 days, the draw play was basically a wasted down.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
Pro

baller7345's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyerbiz
DEFENSE SUCKS! MY PLAYBOOK HAS BEEN RUINED!
(sorry, couldn't resist)

I have also noticed that the draw play can be effective now in the correct situation. Madden 11 is my first purchase of the current generation, so I'm not terribly familiar with plays that didn't work before I work better now... but even way back in the PS2 days, the draw play was basically a wasted down.
The first madden i've played of this generation was 09 before that I played on the GC and Wii (which used last gen's engine) and every year I'd try a draw play and it would go nowhere. 09 and 10 on the 360 was the same for me but this year it can be a weapon. Just pulled off a 36 yard TD draw on a 3rd and 6 online.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

I have found that a few bubble screens & even a TE screen I found work better now. I think the blockers just seem to be "smarter".

I don't know if its just me but I feel like I can get in more trick plays or fool defences with draws or screens in 3rd and long situations more in this version then in previous ones
Old 09-23-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
Pro

baller7345's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Zilla
I have found that a few bubble screens & even a TE screen I found work better now. I think the blockers just seem to be "smarter".

I don't know if its just me but I feel like I can get in more trick plays or fool defences with draws or screens in 3rd and long situations more in this version then in previous ones
Its not just you the last 3 or so games I've killed on draws on 3rd and long. Have you tried the flea flicker yet? It has never really made everybody leave their assignements like it is supposed to do in the previous maddens so I wondered if it worked this year. I don't know a playbook that has it though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 8

i like how deep in the redzone i can actually throw a fade now
with big receivers in gates and floyd (no more vj) i can just lob a pass and see my receiver go up and get it

im no longer forced to run the ball on the 2 yard line
Old 09-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Although draw plays work nicely this year online, the counter runs, which were sweet last year, are completely ruined and ineffective. The directional fake happens too fast and is not elaborate enough.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
Pro

baller7345's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergatti
Although draw plays work nicely this year online, the counter runs, which were sweet last year, are completely ruined and ineffective. The directional fake happens too fast and is not elaborate enough.
I probably shouldn't be telling you this since I might one day play you but I start every game off with a counter from the single back ace formation and it averages anywhere from 4-6 yards ( I occasionaly break a long one but not often). I've had success with counters this year as with every year of madden i've played so I haven't had that experience. The counter doesn't seem to work like it is designed the fake doesn't seem to fool anyone (at least from what i've seen) it just gives the pulling guard time to get out front and set a block.

Last edited by baller7345; 09-23-2010 at 10:20 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »