Home

What should attributes be based off of?

This is a discussion on What should attributes be based off of? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7
What should attributes be based off of?

I know this has been brought up before but I would like the community to give me some opinions as to what attributes should be based off of. I am attempting to create more realistic ratings for the game on my website FBGratings.com/members for the benefit of the entire Madden gaming community. In doing so I need some ideas on how to determine some attributes. I have hard combine data for just about every player since 1998 which helps, but I can't necessarily use 40 times to determine stiff arm ratings...get it?

I also have a wide variety of scouting data to rely on as well, but this data does not always show particular attributes like stiff arm, trucking, etc.

So what I would like to know is how should certain attribute values be calculated? Should the stiff arm rating be dependent upon strength? Should the juke move be based on one's agility and weight?

Try to consider the physics behind some of these terms. Something like Hitpower being a function of FORCE x VELOCITY where FORCE = MASS x ACCELERATION. Now we know the mass of many players by their weight at 1 earth gravity and we can measure how fast they accelerate from combine data. Throw in a velocity and bingo! You just found a hitpower!

I am looking for ideas like this. How would you, in a perfect Madden world, want attributes to be calculated. PLEASE BE SPECIFIC if you can.

Thanks again to the community and check out the site!
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: What should attributes be based off of?

How should your proposing the ratings system look? How many individual ratings and what ratings would you create?

Are your suggested ratings system based on the current Madden system, or do you envisage a system with, say, proper physical interactions, a route-based passing system etc??

Also how detailed is your combine data? Have you got the 10 and 20 yard split times for the 40 yard dash times or just the 40 yard dash times?

Last edited by guaps; 10-02-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
How should your proposing the ratings system look? How many individual ratings and what ratings would you create?

Are your suggested ratings system based on the current Madden system, or do you envisage a system with, say, proper physical interactions, a route-based passing system etc??

Also how detailed is your combine data? Have you got the 10 and 20 yard split times for the 40 yard dash times or just the 40 yard dash times?
The system I use now is within the box that EA gives us. That means that we have to use the attribute categories they use.

The combine data is very detailed. 40, 20, and 10 yard splits, cone drill, shuttle, vertical, broad, bench reps, height to the nearest 1/8th inch, and weight.
NFL Scout

Old 10-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 8

only problem i see with ur suggestion is the following

u cant base a stiff arm on strength alone let me give u a reason y. brandon jacobs probably has the highest strength rating of any rb (or at least close to the top) but LT isnt as strong and has a better stiff arm than he does. u cant completely take technique of of the equation

chris jhonson is probably one of the most athletic guys in the league but he doesnt spin like marshall faulk used to so once again technique and individual skill play a part in it too its not just raw physical talent

ive posted this before but i figured it would help u out and finally i think the only way to really get prefect ratings is to watch film stats lie in football and at times they are very far from the truth
Old 10-03-2010, 01:02 AM   #5
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Ratings should be based on one thing and one thing only: Player performance. I don't care if a guy is 5-2, 115 pounds, if he's knocking guys out on the field, he should have the POW rating to replicate it in Madden.

Alex Smith, great example I've watched all three weeks. He makes good decisions, gets rid of the ball quickly,takes off when he needs too, but utterly MISSES receivers high and they get tipped for interceptions. Solid but not great awareness, terrible accuracy. No reason to over think it, rate exactly as they perform.

Scouting agencies are highly useful for this sort of thing.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapargentina
only problem i see with ur suggestion is the following

u cant base a stiff arm on strength alone let me give u a reason y. brandon jacobs probably has the highest strength rating of any rb (or at least close to the top) but LT isnt as strong and has a better stiff arm than he does. u cant completely take technique of of the equation

chris jhonson is probably one of the most athletic guys in the league but he doesnt spin like marshall faulk used to so once again technique and individual skill play a part in it too its not just raw physical talent

ive posted this before but i figured it would help u out and finally i think the only way to really get prefect ratings is to watch film stats lie in football and at times they are very far from the truth
I have a lot of scouting data for most of these players to help make sure that they are rated accordingly. However, the issue arises when you have guys who are rookies or are new to the league. You may not have as much data on them which will make it more difficult to rate them.
NFL Scout

Old 10-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Ratings should be based on one thing and one thing only: Player performance. I don't care if a guy is 5-2, 115 pounds, if he's knocking guys out on the field, he should have the POW rating to replicate it in Madden.

Alex Smith, great example I've watched all three weeks. He makes good decisions, gets rid of the ball quickly,takes off when he needs too, but utterly MISSES receivers high and they get tipped for interceptions. Solid but not great awareness, terrible accuracy. No reason to over think it, rate exactly as they perform.

Scouting agencies are highly useful for this sort of thing.
Preaching to the choir on the scouting agencies. I work for one...so I have nearly unlimited data. In fact the boys in Florida who make this game...are all subscribers. Too bad they don't use the information effectively.
NFL Scout

Old 10-04-2010, 01:35 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
I have a lot of scouting data for most of these players to help make sure that they are rated accordingly. However, the issue arises when you have guys who are rookies or are new to the league. You may not have as much data on them which will make it more difficult to rate them.
and u cant get anything from their college career? i knw its not the same but at least u can get a feel for their style of play

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »