Home

What Happened to Popup Ads Being Removed in Madden 11?

This is a discussion on What Happened to Popup Ads Being Removed in Madden 11? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
Rookie

Americas Team1's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: What Happened to Popup Ads Being Removed in Madden 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymee13
Sure I understand that you are upset about being misled, but the company needs to make some money. There are advertisements everywhere in life, so why not in video games. I'm all for it...go EA!

They could make more money if they put out a good game and not just put out the same game every year...
Old 10-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #10
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
They are exactly the same, they just show up with much less frequency. I guess some people just don't like them.

Can I ask for a source on Ian saying they'd be gone if we're going to call him on this? I, admittedly, don't keep up with everything he's ever said; and the ads don't bother me, so naturally I wouldn't even seek news on them.

I will add that I hadn't seen them until post-patch, but I don't know that they were added post-patch. It's possible the ads were there and just weren't "active" until the NFL season started. I don't know how ads are actually handled on the consoles. Obviously we all saw the placeholder ads in early demos of Madden 10, but the lack of them in Madden 11 demo builds doesn't necessarily mean they were "added" to the game later. "Ha ha, suckers, we're going to insert ads a month after you buy the game!" doesn't strike me as something any company would care enough to do.

You have to think of it in the business sense. The ads that pop up are paid for by whichever company, and they want people to actually see their ads. With the most common camera angle(s), there is just no way for these ads to be placed anywhere else that would satisfy the company's desire to get people to see their ad. Ideally they'd be on the stadium's scoreboard (as in real life), but with how little those are shown, it wouldn't make sense for any company to pay for the advertising space.
Trust me I understand location ( I teach sports marketing for a livng) I'm just saying EA should have been more creative if they feel the need to obtain additional revenue streams. Have cut scenes or something like an out of town scoreboard presented by Verizon
Old 10-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #11
Rookie

thecougarbear's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Sure I understand that you are upset about being misled, but the company needs to make some money. There are advertisements everywhere in life, so why not in video games. I'm all for it...go EA!
Wrong. What on earth do you mean by "the company needs to make some money"? Didn't the consumer just drop over half a hundo on the game? Isn't that how video game companies have ALWAYS made money?

Video games existed for 30+ years without resorting to straight pop-up ads. Sell ads for the places that ads are found in real life: around the score board, around the stadium walls, etc.

What's next? "Real television atmosphere, complete with commercials!!" No thanks.

Pop up ads are absurd. They are how internet scammers try to steal your money (erm, sell their "products"), not how a LEGITIMATE company should sell advertising.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #12
Rookie

Americas Team1's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecougarbear
What's next? "Real television atmosphere, complete with commercials!!" No thanks.

Oh god dont give them any ideas. This just might be they're BIG addition next year.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Mr. Moore, is that you again?? PLEASE stop making these bogus accounts on OS to push your propaganda....
Old 10-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #14
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Definitely feel that I didn't get what was 'advertised' (irony) on the product. That I was misled by EA Sports. Nothing's worse than being misled, or being dishonest with your consumer. EA Sports has clearly done this by adding the overlay/popup Ads into Madden 11.

Since this was recently done in a patch, then I guess I can go undo the latest update and that will fix the problem of the overlay/popup Ads?
Old 10-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #15
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Ian is right, he never explicitly said they wouldn't be there.

Here's the tweet from Ian:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_cummings
@Valdarez once per change of possession currently... server-tunable in case advertisers want it more /consumers want it less.
The change of possession advertisement in the demo was the drive summary with an Advertisement displayed there. Not a pop-up / overlay to be seen. Talk about your bait and switch.

Now tell me that's not misleading as hell.

Last edited by Valdarez; 10-09-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #16
All Star

OVR: 33

not a big deal.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »