Home

why hasn't Madden lived up to expectations?

This is a discussion on why hasn't Madden lived up to expectations? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: why hasn't madden lived up to its expectations?
no competition from other developers 27 39.71%
a dev team without enough knowledge of the sport 4 5.88%
company more interested in gimmicks and money 30 44.12%
not enough time in between titles for improvement 7 10.29%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.
Re: why hasn't Madden lived up to expectations?

Who says Madden hasn't lived up to expectations? See what I'm getting at here? Purely subjective outlook dude. Gameplay is excellent to me. All I need is a deeper franchise mode, broadcast presentation, and my Ion schutt and I'll call it a day.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

I'd say it's probably split evenly between options 1,3 and 4.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 11-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
Who says Madden hasn't lived up to expectations? See what I'm getting at here? Purely subjective outlook dude. Gameplay is excellent to me. All I need is a deeper franchise mode, broadcast presentation, and my Ion schutt and I'll call it a day.
can you tell me where you got your copy of madden cause its clearly not the same game that i have......gameplay is one of the worst ever!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
I didn't vote in the poll, partly because I think it's potentially a combination of all of those things.

Obviously a lack of competition doesn't help, it never does, but that doesn't mean there can't be a good game, it just means it's less likely.

I think the dev team are knowledgeable about football, but don't necessarily get how to transform that into a video game. There is a fine line between realism and a game that is fun to play. Maybe EA have erred on the side of "fun to play" in order not to alienate casual gamers. That might not please the sim crowd, but unfortunately it can make money.

Maybe there are too many gimmicks, but again, gimmicks don't in themselves make a bad game (1st person football in 2k5 comes to mind). The question is whether the game is only gimmicks with no substance behind them.

I think that there is enough time between titles, just. All yearly sports games have the same problem though, and in Madden's case a yearly game is part of the exclusive license agreement, so really there isn't anything EA can do.
great post.....i agree with you 100%
Old 11-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #13
MVP

capp34's Arena

OVR: 16

Because they want to make as minimal of changes possible with very little cost of development over as much time as possible because they know people will buy it regardless because its ''Madden''.

Kings of the Kourt Commissioner

KOTK Discord - https://discord.gg/Swj5cJe
Old 11-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

It's the license plain and simple. Whether the NFL or EA is responsible doesn't matter. The exclusive license combined with current costs of development and topped with lack of competition got us where we are today.

Games cost more to develop on 360/ps3 and imo EA overspent on the license. They simply don't earn as much on this title as they used to and don't have the money to put back into it. What resources they do have go to developing MUT and facebook apps and other avenues where this game can make them more money faster.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #15
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsoldier
can you tell me where you got your copy of madden cause its clearly not the same game that i have......gameplay is one of the worst ever!
Probably purchased the game at a Freedom of Choice Store. That's a store where you can purchase anything you want without other people questioning why you made that purchase.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Probably purchased the game at a Freedom of Choice Store. That's a store where you can purchase anything you want without other people questioning why you made that purchase.
i got mine at freedom of speech....and if i spend $65 of my hard earned cash on a product i don't think lived up to its name i will make it clear that im unhappy.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »