Home

Why the sim gamer will make EA more money than "tourney or casual" gamer

This is a discussion on Why the sim gamer will make EA more money than "tourney or casual" gamer within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
Why the sim gamer will make EA more money than "tourney or casual" gamer

In an acronym DLC. Peter Moore once said he wants the game to stay in people's consoles longer, in order to sell them more DLC.

The tourney/casual guys may buy power ups or whatever...but I think that if EA makes the gameplay sim and varied, people will want to keep playing it longer. With different years, classic teams, new stadiums for 1.99 etc.

Right now, the DLC is just lipstick on the pig. If they make Madden an awesome game, I bet more and more sim gamers would love to stick with this and wouldn't mind paying a buck or two for enhancements.

I can't think of one person who objects to supporting a quality game.

Spoiler
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Why the sim gamer will make EA more money than "tourney or casual" gamer

The biggest reason to build for sim players is they are much more valuable and also make up the majority on 360 and Ps3. What I mean is how many time have you seen on this site someone saying they have been buying Madden for the past 20 years. Mostly on release day I would say. Losing one of those is a lot more costly than a casual player who picks the game up every couple of years when they see it cheap.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
In an acronym DLC. Peter Moore once said he wants the game to stay in people's consoles longer, in order to sell them more DLC.

I can't think of one person who objects to supporting a quality game.

Spoiler
If Peter wants gamers to keep the game in the console longer then they need to focus more on what the gamers want then what EA wants. I read the wish list threads and post and have since I have been here and before at DT's site. Never once did I see anyone say they wanted "gameflow" added to the game. If they don't give the gamer what they want then they want buy it.
I have yet to see any DLC that peeks my interest. It all seems to be for the casual gamers and the "sim" gamer gets nothing. I don't want to pay $1.99 for something that is a cheat. Like in college football where you can buy the DLC that gives all your players max training for 1 season. That is crap for the casual gamer. If they ever start making us pay for patches then that may be the end of them. We all know every year when we buy NCAA or Madden that we will get at least 2 patches per game just to make it some what playable.
If EA's is making games to sell DLC and not worrying about making a good game then they will only see sales drop even more.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

^^^^
The wishlists here are the same every year. I think that says alot.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney8
^^^^
The wishlists here are the same every year. I think that says alot.
How many times do we have to post the same things to only get things like "fight for every yard" or "gameflow". I don't every remember anyone asking for those things. EA is so out of touch with the gamers it's not even funny. I wish we could vote them out like the American people did to the joke that is Washington DC.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

Like I said in another thread... I think they originally set out to make the current gen games a reasonable mix between sim and accessibility just as Madden had been for the previous two generations of consoles.... They just dropped the ball and now they're stuck with this engine / framework that is limited. I don't think they ignore wishlists out of spite, they simply can't do certain things... People can ask for physics based tackling every year, but if the current framework is as developed as it's going to get and simply can't support it... well, then we're waiting until they revamp everything from the ground up... and that ain't happening until the next gen.

Speak with your wallets if you must, I never buy DLC for anything... and unless I get a good deal on a used copy, I never buy sports titles in consectutive years... So EA won't likely be getting any Madden 12 money from me anyways... But even I can see that if they are going to truly make the gameplay significantly better, it's going to require more than just tweaking the current foundation.. And we all already know that the current foundation will be the same for M12 as it was for M11.

As far as I'm concerned, posting wish lists and rants is pointless at this stage in the game. Either Madden 12 bombs and EA decides they need to start over right away... or we wait until PS4 and xBox 720. I don't see a middle ground.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

I agree with everything you guys have said. I have posted many times, they just are unable to make a good product with this code.

Well except, I don't believe EA is out of touch. I think they're limited, and the suits won't let them do this game right.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyerbiz
As far as I'm concerned, posting wish lists and rants is pointless at this stage in the game. Either Madden 12 bombs and EA decides they need to start over right away... or we wait until PS4 and xBox 720. I don't see a middle ground.
Agreed... after listening to the developer podcast, it just kinda confirmed what I already felt. I just don't see anything groundbreaking or truly revolutionary coming from the current iteration of Madden until another company gets into the mix. And that's not an indictment of anyone on the development team. I think their hearts are in the right place. I just don't think, by whatever internal limitations, they are able to give us the game we want.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »