Home

CPU is defending my WRs with linebackers! can i change this?

This is a discussion on CPU is defending my WRs with linebackers! can i change this? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
CPU is defending my WRs with linebackers! can i change this?

hi. i'm an offline franchise guy and what's killing me is how the CPU often will have a linebacker cover one of my WRs. so even if the linebacker is quick (say 83 speed) he's covering a guy with 94 speed and just can't keep up once the WR breaks on him.

at the end of a fun, close game, i was down a field goal and had the ball back with about 45 seconds. at one point i call a 4 wide receiver set and the CPU comes back with not a dime, not a nickel but a regular 3-4 or 4-3 formation.

yes, they had 3 or 4 linebackers out there, with the game on the line, while i had 4 receivers and a scat back.

i threw a bomb to a WR, he caught it, i won. i felt good, then looked at the replay and saw a linebacker covering him and the play and the win totally lost any sense of accomplishment.

can i change how the CPU chooses their player matchups?

i don't use Game Planning, but i explored it. it just seems to let me pick my favourite, and least favourite, plays for a D formation (that i would use for the computer) but it doesn't seem to allow the game plan to say "when there are 4 receiver, play a dime or quarter defense and nothing but."

is there a solution? this is killing franchise games for me. i can take a 74 OVR receiver and turn him into Jerry Rice because a linebacker is covering him.

thanks.

p.s. if the solution is in Game Planning (i don't think it is but could be wrong) please be detailed as i'm not very familiar with it. thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2010, 02:01 AM   #2
Rookie

ianlast's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: CPU is defending my WRs with linebackers! can i change this?

Try messing with the Coaching sliders. I've noticed the CPU does a much better job of matching the right personnel when you raise the Pass/Run slider to 90 or 100 and the Aggressive/Conservative slider to 10 or 0.

You said this happened at the end of a game? I've noticed the CPU calls horrible defenses in the two-minute drill. I still haven't experimented enough with these slider combos to see if it makes a difference in late game scenarios.

EDIT: And no, Gameplanning is not the solution. I've seen all kinds of nonsense called when using it.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
JVM
Banned

OVR: 7

You can use Coaching options to assign each CB to WR, but, the CPU can and will cheat anyway. Why do I say that? Because I had my killer DB with 98 speed and 99 HPW in the last slot to defend the CPU's 4th starting WR. So, when I saw a 3 WR set, I called a Dime with DB blitz, which is the DB not covering anyone. What happens is that DB ends up covering a guy he isn't supposed to and another DB blitzes, one that is not as fast nor hits hard. I've seen this happen quite a few times, actually, pretty much every time last game. The reason? The previous game I did that and he got 16 sacks and broke the record. Thus, the CPU was not going to let it happen again, and would not let him rush the QB.

Do you find the CPU calling those no-huddle plays with first one a run and 2WRs and next one a 4 WR set? I see it like about every game. You call a 4-3 to stop the run and no-huddle comes back with a 4 WR set. Amazing!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

OVR: 24

Turn the speed threshold to 0 in the game options.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
JVM
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreFacTor
Turn the speed threshold to 0 in the game options.
That should help the last situation: MLB 91 speed and 81 acceleration is covering my WR 98 speed and 99 acceleration in the end zone on a 65 yard pass!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlast
Try messing with the Coaching sliders. I've noticed the CPU does a much better job of matching the right personnel when you raise the Pass/Run slider to 90 or 100 and the Aggressive/Conservative slider to 10 or 0.

You said this happened at the end of a game? I've noticed the CPU calls horrible defenses in the two-minute drill. I still haven't experimented enough with these slider combos to see if it makes a difference in late game scenarios.

EDIT: And no, Gameplanning is not the solution. I've seen all kinds of nonsense called when using it.
thanks, dude.

"raise the Pass/Run slider to 90 or 100"

i'll try it but it seems a bit counterintuitive: if the slider is on the far end of RUN, doesn't that suggest the CPU will have more linebackers and fewer defensive backs in matchups with my WRs because linebackers are better run stoppers?

also, in the Coaches strategy, does changing the Importance of certain positions or messing with the sliders (Defensive ends, D tackles, Linebackers, Cornerbacks, etc.) make a difference to how the CPU matches up personnel?

logic would suggest that putting the Linebackers importance on 0 and d-backs on 100 would help with my problem.

i guess i could experiment but i'm not at home right now and just wondered if someone's already figured it out.

thanks again.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM
You can use Coaching options to assign each CB to WR, but, the CPU can and will cheat anyway.
I stopped using that after I had an incident where one of my LBs was covering a WR, because the opponent was playing a TE in the slot. It resulted in a long TD pass for the CPU because of it.

The play calling screen said that the offense was in a 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 HB formation and I chose a 3-4 defense (Ravens). When they lined up, I saw that the TE was aligned in the slot position with my best CB covering him (their best WR was apparently out because of fatigue or whatever, I don't know, but I don't understand why the AI decided the top CB should cover the TE?) and my weakside linebacker (J. Johnson - 70-something speed) was covering the outside WR. The CPU snapped the ball before I could prevent or limit the damage. Needless to say that I haven't used defensive assignments since.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
I stopped using that after I had an incident where one of my LBs was covering a WR, because the opponent was playing a TE in the slot. It resulted in a long TD pass for the CPU because of it.

The play calling screen said that the offense was in a 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 HB formation and I chose a 3-4 defense (Ravens). When they lined up, I saw that the TE was aligned in the slot position with my best CB covering him (their best WR was apparently out because of fatigue or whatever, I don't know, but I don't understand why the AI decided the top CB should cover the TE?) and my weakside linebacker (J. Johnson - 70-something speed) was covering the outside WR. The CPU snapped the ball before I could prevent or limit the damage. Needless to say that I haven't used defensive assignments since.
Defensive assignments are messed up, they used to work very well, as did player highlight, but in M11 both are useless (just my opinion). The Ravens, Colts and some other teams use the Tight End as a WR in certain sets so setting the DB to cover the slot, or calling DBL z slot will cause the TE to get the attention that the slot receiver would have gotten. It will appear that the offense is coming out in a run formation from the play call screen because of the description. You just have to be aware of those instances. It also doesn't help that there is something wrong with man coverage this year especially from the nickel defenses...far too many times the nickel corner will take the TE or the Back, and not cover the slot receiver and that will lead to a LB covering the WR. In this situation, a simple flip of the play SOMETIMES works, but I've found that audibling to a zone works better when the nickel receiver fails to line up to cover the proper receiver.

Last edited by TreFacTor; 12-03-2010 at 11:58 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »