Home

Pass Defense, WTF??!! Shootouts and a rant, oh my!

This is a discussion on Pass Defense, WTF??!! Shootouts and a rant, oh my! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2003, 06:12 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Pass Defense, WTF??!! Shootouts and a rant, oh my!

It has nothing to do with MY skill level when the AI defense for the human side blows large chunks of raw sewage.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:36 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 8

"EA can't help it if you can't play defense. If a team throws for 500 yards against you, then make it harder for the CPU. There are millions of people who buy Madden, all of various skill levels. There is nothing to 'fix', except your skill level. "

Um...yeah. Whatever. I have the #1 defense in the country every season in NCAA, I am a top defensive player in 2K3, and I played pretty quality defense in Madden 2003. So either my playcalling acumen has completely vanished, or there is something wrong with the way the game handles defense. But don't worry, as long as there is no XBL, you won't have to find out about my game firsthand.

For the more civil posters, I would encourage you to keep at it, as I think part of getting the defense to play better is simply a question of adjustment. The playmaker function is quite useful in defense (less so on offense), and your playcalling has to switch up a bit. So far I'm not having much luck at all with zone defenses in obvious pass situations, with a cover 4 being particularly gruesome. But if you keep sifting through the defenses, you'll start finding some things that work.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:42 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 2

Screw the sliders, by the time you figure out the right settings, Madden 2005 will be out. Last night I played my first preseason game as the Vikings and lost to the Jaguars 35-31. High scoring games. You just got to play agressive D I guess.

I can't wait for 2k4 to come out, atleast you can stop the recievers, LOL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2003, 08:57 PM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 2

dont know what you guys problem are i just played a game with the rams(me) vs the falcons (cpu) on all pro 5 minutes a quarter and the final score was 10-13. only reason cpu scored was a 78 yard run from michael vick. i had a lot of chances to score but every time i got in the red zone kurt warner threw a int or fumbled
Old 08-14-2003, 08:59 PM   #53
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

Quote:

kobestopper said:
dont know what you guys problem are i just played a game with the rams(me) vs the falcons (cpu) on all pro 5 minutes a quarter and the final score was 10-13. only reason cpu scored was a 78 yard run from michael vick. i had a lot of chances to score but every time i got in the red zone kurt warner threw a int or fumbled

Well you're playing on 5 minute quarters, that explains the low score.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:39 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 1

I play on Pro, 10min accelerated clock quarters now. i turn the Human and CPU defensive AI all the way up, and it made the scores much more believable. stays in the 20's consistently, sometimes im able to get into the 30's. i left most all offensive sliders alone, except Human pass blocking.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:42 PM   #55
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

The only way I seem to be able to keep from scoring 30+ points is to play 5 minute quarters. I hate playing a game that short. I really feel like this game was made with online gameplay in mind and owners mode for single player guys.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2003, 10:47 PM   #56
MVP

RahKhem's Arena

OVR: 11

For these people saying that they are getting shootout scores, are you keeping track of the amount of plays being run? I only ask this because of the new integrated playcalling system, there is a lot less time taken off the clock between plays. I play 12 min accelerated, and if i play a good game with a good defense, the offense aint scoring very much.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »