Home

The CPU's over user of thr swim move?

This is a discussion on The CPU's over user of thr swim move? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
MVP

jsou4646's Arena

OVR: 15
The CPU's over user of the swim move?

The main reason I sold this game was due to the cpu swimming my lineman, sometimes the cpu would use the same animation on all 4 of my offensive lineman. My sliders played a role, but i like the difficulty to be as hard as possible. The problem with was creating a higher difficulty level without seeing the cpu constantly swimming my lineman. I had the cpu reaction time at 100, and my blocking low with their shed block somewhat high. Did the patch help with this at all, or is there another way to create that high difficulty without all the swim moves and cpu destroying my back in the backfield.

Last edited by jsou4646; 12-24-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
JVM
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: The CPU's over user of thr swim move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsou4646
The main reason I sold this game was due to the cpu swimming my lineman, sometimes the cpu would use the same animation on all 4 of my offensive lineman. My sliders played a role, but i like the difficulty to be as hard as possible. The problem with was creating a higher difficulty level without seeing the cpu constantly swimming my lineman. I had the cpu reaction time at 100, and my blocking low with their shed block somewhat high. Did the patch help with this at all, or is there another way to create that high difficulty without all the swim moves and cpu destroying my back in the backfield.
According to what I've seen in my franchise, the CPU pulls that swim move quite often--and it happens on All-Pro and slider sets I've tried. The new patch has made running more difficult, RBs getting hit in the backfield--and it happens in the new patch.

Replays show one of my highly rated OL turning away from the oncoming defender to get my QB or RB. The question in my mind is why would a damn good tackle or guard turn away from the guy? Then we have the CPU OL with poor ratings and one comes out 5-10 yards to block my MLB so the RB gets through. I have never seen any of my OL do that and they are all hand-picked top-notch players.

If you sold the game because of that swim move, you are not going to see an improvement with the new patch--it's worse!
Old 12-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 29

try playmakers new sliders I use them and I very seldom see the move anymore. it does happen, but not often. I just don't know if that will provide you with enough of challenge like you're describing
Old 12-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

The problem is with the AI it is always overpowered in the front 4. They need to add some more animation moves for the front 4 to use and according to that players ratings. I don't think a rookie with a overall rating of 68 at DE or DT should not just be able to do a swim move and get past a oline with a 89 rating or something like that easy. They need to add spin moves and bull rushes or moves like that. I would love to see them add the old reggie White bull rush. The bull rush could be used more for guys at the DE postion that are 300 pounds about. But yea the AI getting away with been able to do a swim move and getting off the tackle to easy.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: The CPU's over user of the swim move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsou4646
I never use sliders, but... Having the difficulty set to the highest level possible is probably 95% of the issue. With the way you describe your sliders, it seems that you are intentionally causing your offensive line NOT to block whether they get the swim move or tossed to the side.

Sounds to me like you may want to roll your sliders back a bit until you get used to the difficulty and can run the ball effectively.

Also, when you run the ball... Don't SPRINT until you break the LOS. When you sprint, the defense sprints. Engaged defenders don't SPRINT - They SHOVE and do an evasion move to get unblocked.

If you wait to sprint after breaking the LOS, the defenders tend to stay blocked a split second longer.

Hope this helps.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

After the last patch and roster update, I saw a slight improvement in this area. It still happens too much for my taste but you can remedy it with playcalling. I find that it's the Dt that rips and blows up plays most often so I focus on calling zone plays and smashes. The zone is designed to double team the DT work to the linebacker and I have yet to see a linemen rip through it. Now a linebacker of safety coming free, that's a different story, but that's part of the chess game.

Also, invest in a quality fullback. I find when I'm running power or certain dives, when the DT breaks through, he is instantly picked up by my fullback. It is tight when this happens, but I focus on not panicking and navigating through the hole.

I try to play headgames with the CPU. Mix up the calls. If they're crashing down and bringing blitzes up the middle then I throw in a sweep that hits big. And most importantly, I stay patient with the run. Things will tend to get clogged up early when the defense is at it's freshest, but I notice that late in the 3rd or 4th quarter, those defenders aren't firing off the ball quite as hard.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

The annoying thing about the instant swim move by the DT is that it's the opposite of how 2 gappers in the 3-4 would play the run. You will rarely see Vince Wilfork use an instant swim move and knife into the backfield. He is usually trying to "stand up" the Olineman, then trying to decide whether to move left or right after reading the play.

In the game, high block shed guys like Wilfork will use the quick swim, and while it's effective for Madden, it's unrealistic how often it happens and unrealistic for how a lot of teams are actually trying to stop the running game.

Here is Vince discussing nose tackle play from an article a couple years ago:

"I don't get sacks," Wilfork said. "I don't get tackles for losses. A 2-yard gain, for me, I like that." This is the self-deprecating attitude found in even the best nose tackles.

Last edited by Palo20; 12-26-2010 at 08:48 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »