Home

Casual Vs Hardcore- Labels Exploited For Profit And Excuses

This is a discussion on Casual Vs Hardcore- Labels Exploited For Profit And Excuses within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #17
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Casual Vs Hardcore- Labels Exploited For Profit And Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I wasn't disagreeing with you. I just thought I would point out how other game developers design their games, and while EA hasn't come out and said it, in my opinion and experience, I do feel this is the same kind of approach they do use.

Also, if I am going to play a ranked game of Madden, why wouldn't I pick the Patriots? Not only are they a great team with a great QB, but I like their style of play/players. Screens, draws, squirmy routes that beat man and zone, etc. New England, along with the Eagles are teams that give Madden players "the best chance to win." on a side note, that is why I hate what EA did with unranked quick matches. I miss playing fun casual 49ers unranked games like I used to in 08 and 09. Now I try to find an unranked game or create one, and no one wants to play/it's a pain to find them.
Ok, my bad, I feel you now.

I think it's fine for anyone to pick any team they want. However, the better teams are usually better because of their discipline allows them to execute difficult gameplans. If people want to play with the best teams, they should be required to step their game up because executing these teams more intricate schemes should require more user skill. For example, timing and reading coverage should be a big thing for playing with the Colts and Payton Manning. There should be alot of plays in their book where the receivers can choose different routes based on the play the defense comes out in.

These routes are already in Madden now but a team like the Colts playbook should be full of them. This way, there is a risk/reward for playing with the better teams in the NFL. If users are novices, there best bet is to play with mediocre teams because there plays will be much simpler to run and execute.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
The fact there is even a topic like this goes to show how complicated the series has become. Just make the friggen game. Last year and this year's game is a product of paralysis by analysis - and it starts with the decision to grab "community input" on every choice.

I think this year and last year, the team relied too much on the community. Did you see NFL2k5 team ask us what they were doing wrong, what we wanted?

Heck no. They already know. We want a football game. Watch a couple thousand NFL games - and try your best to duplicate. How hard is that? After all, the majority of consumers/users see the NFL game through their television sets. 2k5 understood that - and did the best they could to represent NFL football as we see it on the TV - not "on the field".

I think with that approach, the Madden team can do a lot better than the last 5 years. Just stop analyzing every single little thing - cruise to the finish line - there's no pressure.
what he said
Old 01-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
The fact there is even a topic like this goes to show how complicated the series has become. Just make the friggen game. Last year and this year's game is a product of paralysis by analysis - and it starts with the decision to grab "community input" on every choice.

I think this year and last year, the team relied too much on the community. Did you see NFL2k5 team ask us what they were doing wrong, what we wanted?

Heck no. They already know. We want a football game. Watch a couple thousand NFL games - and try your best to duplicate. How hard is that? After all, the majority of consumers/users see the NFL game through their television sets. 2k5 understood that - and did the best they could to represent NFL football as we see it on the TV - not "on the field".

I think with that approach, the Madden team can do a lot better than the last 5 years. Just stop analyzing every single little thing - cruise to the finish line - there's no pressure.

That and 2k didn't have marketing team telling them how to make a game.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #20
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

While saying that the devs should watch a bazillion games and try and recreate that, makes sense and sounds simple, don't underestimate how big a factor understanding exactly what you are watching and knowing how to translate that into a game, actually plays.

I am not sure whether Tiburon struggles with understanding what they are seeing, or if they struggle with the translation of what they see to code, but I have long been of the opinion that they suffer greatly from one or the other, if not both. It's why I have little hope that there are any changes, that I would personally deem positive, that will ever come from this regime.

Wish that were not the case.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #21
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
While saying that the devs should watch a bazillion games and try and recreate that, makes sense and sounds simple, don't underestimate how big a factor understanding exactly what you are watching and knowing how to translate that into a game, actually plays.

I am not sure whether Tiburon struggles with understanding what they are seeing, or if they struggle with the translation of what they see to code, but I have long been of the opinion that they suffer greatly from one or the other, if not both. It's why I have little hope that there are any changes, that I would personally deem positive, that will ever come from this regime.

Wish that were not the case.
I wish you could have posted something a little less depressing about Madden, no matter how true, for the New Year. LOL

I am trying my best to keep Hope alive but your posts seem to foreshadow her likely demise. LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #22
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
I wish you could have posted something a little less depressing about Madden, no matter how true, for the New Year. LOL

I am trying my best to keep Hope alive but your posts seem to foreshadow her likely demise. LOL

Sorry lol. You know the saying though. Old habits, die hard.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #23
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Sorry lol. You know the saying though. Old habits, die hard.
I just went back and listened through the podcasts looking for something else but heard some interesting things on this topic.

They actually indirectly concede to alot of points made in this thread by myself and others, especially in podcast 1. They come right out and say "the focus for THIS GAME [meaning Madden 12] will be FOOTBALL" and targeting "the hardcore". While that's good news, it's also pretty damning for what the focus was for Madden 11.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #24
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
I just went back and listened through the podcasts looking for something else but heard some interesting things on this topic.

They actually indirectly concede to alot of points made in this thread by myself and others, especially in podcast 1. They come right out and say "the focus for THIS GAME [meaning Madden 12] will be FOOTBALL" and targeting "the hardcore". While that's good news, it's also pretty damning for what the focus was for Madden 11.

I didn't listen to the podcasts. Maybe I should (probably not). At the risk of being Mr Rain on the parade guy, I've been previously moved by the rhetoric in their past blogs and such. I'm not saying that there is no hope, but I won't allow myself to be sucked in by that sort of grandiose verbiage again.

You and are others are free to hope, and think what you like. For me, I'll believe it when I play it. Not a nanosecond before.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »