Home

Is EA Considering A Madden Without A NFL License ?

This is a discussion on Is EA Considering A Madden Without A NFL License ? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you purchase a Madden football game without a NFL license ?
Yes 7 6.03%
No 90 77.59%
Maybe, depending on the user customization elements 19 16.38%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #57
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Is EA Considering A Madden Without A NFL License ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Indeed, I would never say that, but I never enjoyed 2k over Madden...I didn't appreciate 2k until it didn't come out...2 completely diff styles of games...there was a place for both on my shelf.

Of course it isn't a stretch. But still the longevity would not be there, IMO.

This is a prime example of consumers not knowing they want. Nobody would buy said title, in reality. They're just attesting to what they don't currently have.
LOL. How can you make the argument that Madden won't sell without a NFL license because consumers will not WANT it and then give a prime example of those same consumers not knowing what they WANT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
No. Consumers buy on "top of mind awareness." If I say "diamond ring", what's the first thing that pops into your head. If Madden disappeared for 3-4 years, it would be another apf when it came back.

Yes, Madden is a cult phenomenon, which is why it needs to stay developed yearly. Branding.

You are underestimating the reason people are devoted to Madden. It was the pioneering NFL game, released yearly. Take these 2 things away, demand diminishes.
I think you misunderstood me, I was not talking about Madden skipping any year being released, I meant 3-4 consecutive years.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #58
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
LOL. How can you make the argument that Madden won't sell without a NFL license because consumers will not WANT it and then give a prime example of those same consumers not knowing what they WANT?

I think you misunderstood me, I was not talking about Madden skipping any year being released, I meant 3-4 consecutive years.
1. You were alluding to the fact that people would spend time tweaking rosters, customizing their games, etc...basically putting the NFL in Madden. It's not that users want to do this...it's that they want to do it in an Already NFL Madden. Because of that that they say sure I'd buy a customizable generic game. They wouldn't , they just don't know they wouldn't. The people who would do this, are on message boards and not nearly enough of an audience to warrant a release.

2. Yeah, I guess I did misunderstand...sorry about that. It still would be cancelled by year 2/3 tops
Old 01-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #59
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I just find it hard to imagine a forum where people, other than a select few, would come in talking about how they wish EA still had the exclusive license.

I honestly think the NFL is keeping Madden afloat. Rip the NFL out of Madden and I certainly don't have much of a reason to play it.

[Playbooks are better, and off the field stuff in Madden is really nice, or at least it used to be. It's just okay now.]
This is a very interesting point PG. Is the NFL keeping Madden afloat due to the fact Madden has NFL licensing or is just because EA has the exclusive NFL license and no other companies football game has the notoriety to compete without a NFL license ?

Looking at Madden over the years during this exclusive NFL license, it actual seems more like the latter, IMO. It almost seems they purchased the exclusive NFL license for much as the same reason as the exclusive ESPN and Arena League license, just to keep them for competitors.

No matter what different people's opinion about Madden it's pretty evident the game has never fully taken advantage of the exclusive NFL license directly in the game. It all was possibly more about sinking competitors by denying them the NFL than Madden embracing it to stay afloat.

Like LT said, unlike those other companies games, Madden might have the notoriety to swim strong it's own, at least for several years. Depending on how much profit they make in those years, in contrast with the exclusive NFL license years, it could turn out to be a profitable decision.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #60
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
Like LT said, unlike those other companies games, Madden might have the notoriety to swim strong it's own, at least for several years. Depending on how much profit they make in those years, in contrast with the exclusive NFL license years, it could turn out to be a profitable decision.
After reading through most of this thread, I get the feeling that rather than harmful speculation, you desire for this scenario to play out LOL. Almost as if you're trying to sell EA on the idea so 2K can get back in the mix .

I think we have to dip back into reality: Madden NFL Football is all one name. The keyword is NFL. Sure, amongst us we can entertain the idea of this scenario playing out. But in our heart of hearts, we know better...and so does EA.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #61
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Lets just say EA goes with that idea of making Madden with out the NFL license. That would then open the door for everyone else to make a football game without a license, and EA would hurt tremendously in sales.

They are losing sales year after year with being the only NFL game in the market, so imagine if they go the route of not using the NFL license, and 3 to 4 other companions jumping in.

That would easily open the door for everyone who wants to make a football game to jump right into the mix. Simply because no one is using the license. There is nothing to fear now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 2

Not exactly Tyrant. A company would need permission from the NFL to use the team names and stadiums and such and the NFLPA to use the players. Anybody couldnt just jump in and make a game without paying the NFL. Just like jerseys and hats. The NFL owns that property and you have to pay to use it.

not to get off topic, but havent players been voting to decertify the NFLPA in the event of a lock out? What does that do for Madden12???????
Old 01-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #63
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotsky
Not exactly Tyrant. A company would need permission from the NFL to use the team names and stadiums and such and the NFLPA to use the players. Anybody couldnt just jump in and make a game without paying the NFL. Just like jerseys and hats. The NFL owns that property and you have to pay to use it.

not to get off topic, but havent players been voting to decertify the NFLPA in the event of a lock out? What does that do for Madden12???????
I think you mis understood my thread.

I fully understand that permission and fees need to be paid in order for any company to make a NFL game using it players, teams, and stadiums.

What im saying is right now no company is making a football game against EA simply because EA has the NFL license, and to make a football game with out the license just simply does not stand a chance.

Now lets say EA decides not to use the license. Now companies will jump in , simply because they have nothing to worry about License wise. No company is using the license then now they are competing on a fair play ground.

We will have at least 3 to 4 companies making a football game with no license, and I truly feel EA could not win under those circumstances.

I feel the NFL could easily sell the license to multiple companies. IF 500 Million is what they want for example. Then charge 3 companies 175 million a piece. That is a extra 25 million in there for them, and we can have choices. Why just give it to one company and limit our options.

This really baffles my mind. They could just set a price and determine what the fee would be by the amount of companies that want to make a NFL licensed game. Divide it up and make everyone happy.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #64
Rookie

Reejer's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
I feel the NFL could easily sell the license to multiple companies. IF 500 Million is what they want for example. Then charge 3 companies 175 million a piece. That is a extra 25 million in there for them, and we can have choices. Why just give it to one company and limit our options.
Because these smart old-school American free market ideals are so last century. C'mon, get on the pinkie-progressive short bus, you logical idealog.

Seriously, I think that these ideas make too much sense, and you could see benefits for all of the parties involved; the NFL (more revenue), the customer (better product), and the developer (because competition drives innovation, and innovation produces a broader customer base).

Last edited by Reejer; 01-07-2011 at 11:28 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »