Home

Is EA Considering A Madden Without A NFL License ?

This is a discussion on Is EA Considering A Madden Without A NFL License ? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you purchase a Madden football game without a NFL license ?
Yes 7 6.03%
No 90 77.59%
Maybe, depending on the user customization elements 19 16.38%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7
Is EA Considering A Madden Without A NFL License ?

I obviously have too much free time on my hands these days and got to thinking about the possibility that EA might just scrap the NFL license for Madden in 2013. If you really read too much into a bunch of little things, this could be in the tea leaves.

Madden has been consistently going away from NFL simulation and more towards a generic, online social networking format to attract general gamers. Even modes like OTP and Ultimate Team focus more on a social aspect of gaming and less on an actual NFL required foundation. If the NFL brand was removed from these modes, the expected migration from these modes maybe minimal by EA's projections. Also, in podcast 4 Pasta Padre was asked what he would expect Madden 14 to be like, in general, not how far it would have come in simulating the NFL.

Secondly, Take Two has been confirmed to have sold off major assets to increase capital in order to make a bid on some kind of NFL license in the future. Most think that is just a general NFL license but it wouldn't seem likely that anything but an exclusive NFL license would require the kind of capital gained from Take Two selling major company assets.

Lastly, there have been rumors around for a while about EA wanting to abandon the John Madden name brand and start with something new. What better time to go a different way with a new EA football game then when the exclusive NFL license expires and they can phase out John Madden along with the football brand he is so famously associated with. If not, then the recent video showing John Madden still involved with the game, may be sign of EA using his football cred to validate a unlicensed Madden game.

Look, I am not saying this is the case but it is definitely one of those things that would make Arsenio Hall say "Hmmmmmmmm?"

Last edited by tlc12576; 01-01-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
Haterade Drinker

untrugby's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Is EA Considering A Madden Without A NFL License ?

i wouldnt buy a simulation football game or any sport for that matter that didnt have a license i like playing with my favorite players even if the game is slightly worse than a non license one i would get more enjoyment out of it
Old 01-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

I don't see them making a non NFL branded game. Just look at All-Pro football to see that people want buy a game that does not have real NFL teams with current players. I could see them dropping the Madden name. I could careless what they call it as long as they have real NFL teams and players. I could see the NFL allowing more then one company to make a licensed NFL game but I don't see EA going the way of All-Pro or Backbreaker.
I think you are reading to far into those podcast. I think they were talking in general. Ian or one of them said they would not confirm any thing that would be in the game. They are just talking about what the goals for the game are and the direction they want to go.
I bought EA's game when I had a choice and will continue to buy it. I just want buy a game that does not see improvement from year to year.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
I don't see them making a non NFL branded game. Just look at All-Pro football to see that people want buy a game that does not have real NFL teams with current players. I could see them dropping the Madden name. I could careless what they call it as long as they have real NFL teams and players. I could see the NFL allowing more then one company to make a licensed NFL game but I don't see EA going the way of All-Pro or Backbreaker.
I think you are reading to far into those podcast. I think they were talking in general. Ian or one of them said they would not confirm any thing that would be in the game. They are just talking about what the goals for the game are and the direction they want to go.
I bought EA's game when I had a choice and will continue to buy it. I just want buy a game that does not see improvement from year to year.
Now of course I am just speculating for the heck of it but you shouldn't underestimate EA's arrogance about Madden. They cornered the entire NFL video game market and where convinced that Madden was "so great", they could just release whatever on next-gen and the competitions former consumers, along with the Madden nation, would still blindly buy it.

EA's arrogance about how popular the Madden brand is may be enough for them to think they could shuck the NFL license, while keeping the Madden name and still sell big.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #5
MVP

Phreezy P's Arena

OVR: 24

Do you mean "Exclusive" NFL License?

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by airaron32
Do you mean "Exclusive" NFL License?
NO! LOL

I mean no NFL license.

Once again, this is just food for thought but it seems Take Two is gearing up for a BIG bid. Much too big, it would seem, to just be a general NFL license. Also, it doesn't seem like the NFL would be that interested in selling anything but an exclusive license considering the boat load of money they probably made from the one with EA.

Add that with the fact that EA might have little interest in going the exclusive route again after less than projected sales, lawsuits and all their other exclusive license's cost, this might not be as far fetched as it seems.

Last edited by tlc12576; 01-01-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:16 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411

I really hope you meant that you want to buy a game that improves every year, which is what we all want and what EA ISN'T giving us.

On the other hand, if you meant you won't buy a game that does not improve every year, then why do you buy Madden?
Old 01-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 20

what do you mean no NFL license? does that mean it wont be able to have any NFL association? I'd have to say no because if it doesn't include the NFL I dont want that game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »