Home

How do you block/intercept passes consistently?

This is a discussion on How do you block/intercept passes consistently? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
MVP

Phreezy P's Arena

OVR: 24
How do you block/intercept passes consistently?

I've been using the swat button, but that only results in fails and TD's. Ive tried the catch button, same result. Should I be focusing on timing?When should I press the catch/swat button? 5 milliseconds before the balll reaches the catchers hands, or should I be expecting a long animation to play out and wait a full second?

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
Rookie

Shogun613's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: How do you block/intercept passes consistently?

It depends... The only advice I can give you is to go into practice mode and work on the timing. You'll eventually get a feel for it. It took me only an hour or so in practice mode to get my timing down.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by airaron32
I've been using the swat button, but that only results in fails and TD's. Ive tried the catch button, same result. Should I be focusing on timing?When should I press the catch/swat button? 5 milliseconds before the balll reaches the catchers hands, or should I be expecting a long animation to play out and wait a full second?
This is one of the areas where players often assume their ineffectiveness is EA's problem. Good for you for taking responsibility.

To improve, you must first get a feel for which passes to swat, which to catch, when to ignore the ball and hit the receiver, and when there's no way you or the WR can play the ball...

It's going to take some practice. LOTS OF PRACTICE.

I recommend that you do the Mini-Camp Mode and work on the passing drill. It's the best drill available for timing passes in real time. The best drill of all to get the timing was the DB Swat drill from the old PS2. Hopefully they bring it back.

Although it takes practice, it's worth every second. Once you get this skill down, your defensive production will improve dramatically.

Later
Old 01-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
This is one of the areas where players often assume their ineffectiveness is EA's problem. Good for you for taking responsibility.

To improve, you must first get a feel for which passes to swat, which to catch, when to ignore the ball and hit the receiver, and when there's no way you or the WR can play the ball...

I recommend that you do the Mini-Camp Mode and work on the passing drill. It's the best drill available for timing passes in real time. The best drill of all to get the timing was the DB Swat drill from the old PS2. Hopefully they bring it back.

Although it takes practice, it's worth every second. Once you get this skill down, your defensive production will improve dramatically.

Later
Agreed.....btw....where is minicamp on the ps3????
Anyway I always go for the pick and it's just practice....
Old 01-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
MVP

phant030's Arena

OVR: 14

i agree w/ TNT, got to Game Modes, then Mini Games. I play the QB passing drill and the Coverage Training....if you play User v User, Coverage is sometimes necessary if your being abused, fairly or unfairly. Both of these drills help you alot in pass coverage by enhancing user skills...you just cant rely on the CPU as much as ppl want to. YOU make the plays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #6
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun613
It depends... The only advice I can give you is to go into practice mode and work on the timing. You'll eventually get a feel for it. It took me only an hour or so in practice mode to get my timing down.
You can play defense in practice mode? How?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
You can play defense in practice mode? How?

Be the away team
Old 01-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
MVP

Phreezy P's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713

Later
Wow, I never really touched that, guess ill try that out. Thanks!

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »