Home

Global Scramble Slider is needed

This is a discussion on Global Scramble Slider is needed within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Global Scramble Slider is needed

Since we have a global break tackle slider and global fumble slider. I think we should go a step further and make a global scramble slider. That we the user will have more control over how they want the cpu to play.

Same thing with a global punt/FG block slider.

I have yet to see the cpu block ANY of my punts or FGs in Madden ever. And I have been playing Madden since 92. EA's motto has always been if it is in the game, it is in the game.

Well in the NFL games I watch on tv, I see mobile QBs scramble OFTEN in a game. Like at least on average 6 to 8 times a game. And I see at least 3 or 4 Punts/FGs blocked every Sunday.

I mean logically if I come out in an all out punt block formation and the cpu is just in a regular punt formation, the numbers game suggest if I am sending more guys then you have blockers, that I should block your punt 97% of the time.

However that is not the case in Madden or NCAA. In real life some teams are very good at blocking punts and FGs. So good in fact that coaches keep in extra blockers when playing against those teams.

But anyway those global sliders are needed. When I am playing against the cpu and they have a mobile QB, I want to feel threaten by their mobility.

I want to be forced to have to spy the QB and use containment plays. This generation of football games on the PS3 and Xbox 360, I have yet have to call a Spy play.

Back on the PS2 days mobile QBs were an actual threat. So how is it on the PS3 and Xbox 360, consoles that are 5 times more powerful, way more memory then the PS2, they don't have mobile Qbs that are an actual threat ?

At the end of the day football is football. To not have mobile QBs, punt blocks or FG blocks is like playing a baseball game where nobody steal bases or hits home runs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Rookie

KuruptOwnz's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Global Scramble Slider is needed

This is why I believe EA should look at a few users specifically for advise. This is a brilliant idea and would fix so much, with a notch or two of a slider.

Electronic Arts should specifially look at, Gotmadskillzson, youALREADYknow, Playmakers, etc... on how to implement a football game. Will they, no.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

i think Qb's scrambling is in both games BUT the criteria for them to run is rarely met....

these games have no sense of playmaker importance built into its passing logic by default.
why do guys run in real life, they doubt thay can fit a pass in, or panic at a strange coverage, maybe their main guy is covered and they were locked in, none of these issues are a problem for the CPU.

they always know where a man has a half yd step, and pass it. i have seen guys open for a 5 yd completion but a player chose to run trusting their ability more, the cpu cant and dont make that type of logical decision.....

so a global slider would be pointless if this logic is not implemented.

if the cpu cant tell the difference between fitzgerald and the 4th string WR(filling in for injured starters) on that team, then the QB will never panic if fitz is covered.

there is something the cpu uses i am still looking though

the passes where the QB rolls right throws across the field to the slot who has stopped his route and is covered while ignoring the number 1 wr who is standing infront of him covered as well cant be a co-incidence.

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 01-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

They need to redo the pocket movement for QB's before they even get to scrambling. Currently, the only lateral movement by a QB who is evading pressure in the pocket is to strafe right towards the sidelines until they reach the hash marks. Even more absurd is the fact that left-handed QB's even strafe right.

I think the game could feel much different against AI controlled QB's with just these two changes

1. Tiburon needs to program a full 360 degree range of mobility for QB's and add new turn/evasion animations in the backfield for both QB's and HB's. If you watch someone like Michael Vick in the backfield, he's mostly making defenders miss by using timely 180 degree spin moves followed by a 30-45 degree sprint (not strafe) towards both the sideline and line of scrimmage. Even QB's like Roethlisberger, V. Young, and Rodgers frequently make full body turns and spins to evade the pass rush and buy time to find targets downfield. These need to be quick twitch animations and not the longer turn animations currently rendered useless by the new locomotion engine. AWR, ELU, and AGI should determine the effectiveness and timing of such moves.

2. Change the targeted rushing direction for QB's when they decide to tuck and scramble on designed passing plays. Currently, most QB's will attempt to find the best angle towards the absolute center of the football field when they decide to scramble and then run straight upfield to reach that target. This often results in sacks by defensive tackles who shed blocks. Instead, the BCV rating could be used along with ELU to determine the best rushing lane (outside-left/inside/outside-right). Based on my viewing experience, most NFL QB scrambles occur outside of the hash marks and not down the middle of the football field.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Yes CPU scrambling needs work, but if the CPU gets to scramble I want my DE to magically get out of his block at just the right moment to tackle him, like the CPU does now.

And no, I'm not joking...I'd rather have a game where both teams didn't scramble a lot than where the CPU QB can get around tackle and I can't. It's more fair that way, until they fix it properly for both sides.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

Yeah that is true. QBs in real life don't strafe in one direction, hell they don't even move in a straight line, they twist and turn, move more diagonally and more half circles. Also do too noticed that even the left handed QBs go to the right. When in reality they should go left that way they wouldn't be throwing across their body.

IMO their should be a huge drop in accuracy and throwing power when you try to throw across your body. And running up the middle of the field should be greatly toned down, that shouldn't be the number one running lane. Number one running lane should be to the outside, because most of the time that is where the least amount of traffic is.

Now if it is a defender to the outside, then bounce it back to the inside. There also should be a vision window for QBs as well. Where as if the QB is a pocket passer tendancy, they should look for WR 1 through 4, if they covered, run.

But for a scrambler, they should look for the 1st and 2nd option, then run if they are covered. Mainly because scramblers are more eager to run in real life anyway because they know they have the speed to.

I remember in Madden 04 or 06, one of the older Maddens, playing against CPU McNabb or Vick or Favre use to be a terror because they ran and ran often.

Especially in NCAA 04 and NCAA 06. Playing against a cpu Pat White, Juice Williams, Juan Dixon use to be bananas.......You really had to adjust your defense to account for them.

Use a 3-4 defense against them and they use to run right up the middle. Blitz too much from one side and they would just run to the opposite side. I miss those days......Damn I wish I still had my PS2.

Somedays I am tempted to buy a PS2 and just buy those old Madden and NCAA games where the QBs actually scrambled.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Yes CPU scrambling needs work, but if the CPU gets to scramble I want my DE to magically get out of his block at just the right moment to tackle him, like the CPU does now.

And no, I'm not joking...I'd rather have a game where both teams didn't scramble a lot than where the CPU QB can get around tackle and I can't. It's more fair that way, until they fix it properly for both sides.
This makes alot of sense. You can't have one without the other. But, if only one of these can fixed be fixed within the span of one year (in most cases, this is the case), I would rather see players like Mike Vick and Vince Young plays as they do in real life. The would be much more fun to play against.

The little things matter. . what are the little things you say?. . . Idk. . surprise me ;-)

Sincerely,
Goodygoody
Old 01-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

Quote:
They would be much more fun to play against.

Bingo......A true threat mobile QB is what separates teams and make them unique. Being that all QBs in Madden and NCAA play the same way, it makes playing against a mobile QB team BORING.

It is like playing the Colts over and over again every week because all the QBs act like Peyton Manning, stiff as a rock. You can use the same defensive play all year long every year in franchise mode.

Why ?

Because there is no running threat from the QB. No QB spy plays are ever needed. No QB containment plays are ever needed. When I play franchise mode and look at my schedule, I want to say omg I got play against that team and their mobile QB, I going to have to change up my defensive strategy this week.

You don't ever get that feeling this generation of football games. All QBs play the same, it is like they cloned Peyton Manning 32 times. No life, no movement......all they do is throw with laser accuracy.

QBs needs LIFE injection into them. They should just mocap a QB scrambling around in different directions, seriously.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »