Home

Question about defense

This is a discussion on Question about defense within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 23
Question about defense

Hey guys just had a quick question. I couldn't find anything using the search option.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

Here is the situation.

My opponent comes out in 3wr 1te sets, sometimes the te is flexed off the line with the 2wr on the line on his right...

so, something like this...

WR1..................................WR2
......................................TE1...WR3

so with that set up. I come out in Nickel. So I have 3 DBs matched up on 3wr.

Ok, somehow, my opponent will audible to something and my OLB will switch assignments with my outside right CB... So, I would have an OLB covering a WR???

I do not use defensive assignments, so, I'm not understanding why this is happening...

Needless to say my oppennent picked me apart using this matchup issue...

Any thoughts on why this happens, when my opponent calls an audible?

thanks in advance for any tips.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2011, 05:10 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 23
Re: Question about defense

bump

thanks
Old 02-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
MVP

phant030's Arena

OVR: 14

idk...come out in zone; audible to man once he audibles. If you come out in man, audible out then back to man.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phant030
idk...come out in zone; audible to man once he audibles. If you come out in man, audible out then back to man.
Good advice...

If you open up in zone, you can wait until the defense shifts to audible to man. It gives your opponent an initial pre-snap he'll use to change his plays, then you switch coverage at the last moment. The drawback is failing to audible to the coverage you want in time.

Personally, I like to blitz with the linebacker they are attempting to beat in coverage, and manually defend with a player with better speed. It gives them the notion that they have the matchup they want, but can lead them into a hasty throw into coverage.

Mix a zone in with your man coverage to the spot the ball is thrown. It shrinks the window the QB can deliver the ball and forces opponents to go somewhere else.

Last but not least... Play zone and manually audible a defender to play man on the receiver.

All are decent techniques, but the best one of all is the one Phant gave... For years and audible has been the best way to cancel out any oddities that happen in man coverage.

Later

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »