Home

Question about QB scrambling

This is a discussion on Question about QB scrambling within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Rookie

over9000yards's Arena

OVR: 9
Question about QB scrambling

I'm someone who likes using quarterbacks with enough mobility to take off and pick up some solid yardage if given wide open space.

I'm not one of those guys who's entire offensive gameplan is to scramble and complete dump off passes, but I will scramble at times.

And what I have noticed is that, when scrambling, the game has a late "switch" from QB controls to RB controls.

What I mean by that is, when you're controlling the QB and scrambling, the game waits until you are about 3-4 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to switch from the QB's zoomed out, throwing control scheme, to the RB's zoomed in, running scheme.

This creates problems when you're scrambling and 1-2 yards past the line of scrimmage, or down near the goalline.

You'll try to hit circle to spin, X to stiff arm, or right stick to juke (PS3 user here), and instead of that happening, you'll wind up throwning an incompletion and getting a penalty for throwing while past the line of scrimmage.

Is there any way to get rid of this? I just don't get why the game can't let you stiff arm, juke, etc. as soon as you pass the LOS with the QB.

The ironic thing is that sometimes, when I'm playing the CPU and their QB is back to throw, their QB will be standing in the pocket and they will switch to RB controls, WHILE BEHIND THE LOS! WTF? (You can tell b/c the camera zooms in and they start running up the middle, it's funny because even slow QBs will try to do it and get sacked)

The game won't let me switch to RB controls until I'm 3-4 yards past the line of scrimmage with the QB, but the CPU can switch on the fly? While standing in the pocket? Really?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Question about QB scrambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by over9000yards
I'm someone who likes using quarterbacks with enough mobility to take off and pick up some solid yardage if given wide open space.

I'm not one of those guys who's entire offensive gameplan is to scramble and complete dump off passes, but I will scramble at times.

And what I have noticed is that, when scrambling, the game has a late "switch" from QB controls to RB controls.

What I mean by that is, when you're controlling the QB and scrambling, the game waits until you are about 3-4 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to switch from the QB's zoomed out, throwing control scheme, to the RB's zoomed in, running scheme.

This creates problems when you're scrambling and 1-2 yards past the line of scrimmage, or down near the goalline.

You'll try to hit circle to spin, X to stiff arm, or right stick to juke (PS3 user here), and instead of that happening, you'll wind up throwning an incompletion and getting a penalty for throwing while past the line of scrimmage.

Is there any way to get rid of this? I just don't get why the game can't let you stiff arm, juke, etc. as soon as you pass the LOS with the QB.

The ironic thing is that sometimes, when I'm playing the CPU and their QB is back to throw, their QB will be standing in the pocket and they will switch to RB controls, WHILE BEHIND THE LOS! WTF? (You can tell b/c the camera zooms in and they start running up the middle, it's funny because even slow QBs will try to do it and get sacked)

The game won't let me switch to RB controls until I'm 3-4 yards past the line of scrimmage with the QB, but the CPU can switch on the fly? While standing in the pocket? Really?
I forgot how but there is a way to switch on the fly...read your instruction book....I seem to remember that if you hit r2 you have switched modes...as long as your holding it down.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Rookie

over9000yards's Arena

Nah, R2 is the sprint button. (I play with Auto-sprint off, I believe it makes my running game better) You can be sprinting behind the LOS and throw passes, I've done it before.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Pro

thbends's Arena

The game is probably coded that way to prevent guys from playing like that. The QB scramble was complete cheese play for a long time.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
Rookie

over9000yards's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thbends
The game is probably coded that way to prevent guys from playing like that. The QB scramble was complete cheese play for a long time.

You aren't going to see a NFL QB try to throw past the LOS near the goalline.

I've seen those cheese players, and it pisses me off as much as anybody. The guys who don't even try to look for WRs down field, they roll left/right as soon as they take the snap and complete dumpoff passes to HBs and TEs in flats all day.

But with that being said, you're not going to convince me that I shouldn't be able to try to avoid someone when past the LOS.

Last edited by over9000yards; 02-10-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »