Home

New Franchise Idea: Create Your Own OVR Formula

This is a discussion on New Franchise Idea: Create Your Own OVR Formula within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #25
Pro

brza37's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: New Franchise Idea: Create Your Own OVR Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
As mention by other Head Coach 09 does something quite similar. They have system based ratings rather than overall ratings.

Tie it to the team, head coach, coordinators and philosophy (e.g. west coast) and make the combination of those four elements determine the teams preferences for players, instead of having your own custom overall rating.
This was a huge factor in getting teams in Head Coach 09 to draft and go after certain player types just like they did in real life. And I gotta believe with Looman at the helm of Madden franchise this is the next logical step for M13.
I like the OPs idea of having this feature editable though since I'm always up for more customization. But I hope the game (if/when it gets implemented in Madden) will ship with fairly good system based ratings to start with.

Commissioner of Sim Madden League Europe. Established league for sim players in Europe. Join here:
SML - Europe PS4 Madden Online Franchise
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 26

Id much rather the HC style positional philosophies. EG 4-3 or 3-4 DEs

Just call me Sanchez
Old 07-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #27
Rookie

Icarus2k9's Arena

OVR: 5

A knock on effect of this move should be that it would allow EA to finally rate people based on their real attributes rather than having to fiddle the numbers to get their overall up to speed.

For instance, the infamous example is quarterbacks having their speed juiced because their skills don't add up to their perceived OVR. Remember when Drew Brees went through how the Madden devs worked out OVR for QBs and completely shiat all over it? It's less that OVR is bad, but the way they do OVR is wrong (and with their haste to bump up the "next big thing" and reluctance to hack into fading superstars, those stretched ratings are starting to disappear again).

I'm not going to take this off track, I'm just pointing out the OP's suggestions could have applications for other elements of the game too.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 3

I would absolutely kill for at least separate ratings for players in 3-4 and 4-3 schemes... the OP's idea seems like this but even better, with every team having a different set of player preferences. I'm sold.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #29
Banned

OVR: 7

yup like head coach....jamarcus had a low overal in all sysyems except a strong arm-tools qb cause thats what al likes.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #30
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I know it doesn't really contribute to your thought but I would love if OVR was eliminated all together.
What I want to see requires major improvements in the game...

I'd like to see it replaced with a Value rating. And I'd like that value to consider the playbook and the rest of the roster. So a great cover corner with poor tackling ability would still have great value on a team like Philly that uses primarily man coverage. That same corner might not have as much value on the Colts who run a lot of cover 2.

But this would require the playbooks and the play calling systems to be redone. Philly's playbook would actually have to look like Philly's playbook.

All that to say I hope Madden concentrates on the basics before they get to the "little things". If Madden did nothing but work on tiering the defensive playbook, re-tiering the offensive playbook, animations & AI for the next 2 years, I'd be happy. I can't appreciate anything else until the gameplay is up to par.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #31
Pro

OVR: 13

This sounds really good. And a lot of what's being mentioned sounds a lot like my coaching idea I have posted in the Wishlist forum. It's a shame not many people bother reading that forum though - there's a lot of good ideas in there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #32
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39
Another idea is to delete ratings altogether and if you want to make a trade you just have to base it off of performance. Would definitely add a challenge. Especially when you get new guys in the league and trade for that one year wonder who was a bust.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »