Home

O-line question

This is a discussion on O-line question within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
O-line question

I'm about to start a new franchise, and want to create Mike Munchak to have as my head coach.

Question about his attribute bonuses-

For o-linemen, what is more important- the Pass/Run Block ratings, Impact Blocking, or the Strength/Footwork ratings?

Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
Banned

goravens2052's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: O-line question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl34v4g3
I'm about to start a new franchise, and want to create Mike Munchak to have as my head coach.

Question about his attribute bonuses-

For o-linemen, what is more important- the Pass/Run Block ratings, Impact Blocking, or the Strength/Footwork ratings?

Thanks
I'm going to give you some tips on this. Awareness is a rating that matters for all players so make sure he has a high awareness. Also it just depends on what you want him to give as bonuses. I made Jim Harbaugh and boosted his AWR, and some QB Accuracy to make Jim give my QB those bonuses in those categories. Third, don't bother with going through Create A Player to make him. They never retire no matter how old they are. Your best bet is to do what I did for Jim Harbaugh, found a QB who always retires at the end of Year 1, changed his info to say "Jim Harbaugh" and I had Jim Harbaugh, in which I used Mark Brunell since he always retires at the end of Year 1. Finally, he won't become available to you right away, he will show up in the Off-Season after Year 2 in which you will be able to hire him.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 11

As far as I understand, the "pure" Pass/Run Block ratings don't really affect the game at all, its only the Strength/Footwork ratings that matter. Take all I'm saying with a grain of salt though, I'm really not an expert, but I think that Footwork determines their ability to keep people from spinning or otherwise getting around them like fast players will try to, while Strength determines how hard it is to just power over them, I think Footwork is checked against Finesse Move while strength ties to the opponents Power Move ratings.

Impact Block is used to just push people out of the way, not to "lock them up" like a regular block does. So usually I'd say you will need high Footwork ratings on the outside for OTs, who will often be facing fast DEs or rushing LBs, while on the inside Strength is more important, since you will be facing big bad DTs mostly. Impact is something I look for in an FB or TEs who just have to "clear the way" for a second for my runner to come through not so much in my regular linemen, although in my experience, having a guard with high Speed and Impact can make plays where you pull him immensely more powerful.

@goravens: Is AWR really important? I'm getting a lot of mixed opinions on that one, some say it affects everything, while others claim it doesn't matter at all if you don't sim games.

Last edited by TheDelta; 02-12-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Banned

goravens2052's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
As far as I understand, the "pure" Pass/Run Block ratings don't really affect the game at all, its only the Strength/Footwork ratings that matter. Take all I'm saying with a grain of salt though, I'm really not an expert, but I think that Footwork determines their ability to keep people from spinning or otherwise getting around them like fast players will try to, while Strength determines how hard it is to just power over them, I think Footwork is checked against Finesse Move while strength ties to the opponents Power Move ratings.

Impact Block is used to just push people out of the way, not to "lock them up" like a regular block does. So usually I'd say you will need high Footwork ratings on the outside for OTs, who will often be facing fast DEs or rushing LBs, while on the inside Strength is more important, since you will be facing big bad DTs mostly. Impact is something I look for in an FB or TEs who just have to "clear the way" for a second for my runner to come through not so much in my regular linemen, although in my experience, having a guard with high Speed and Impact can make plays where you pull him immensely more powerful.

@goravens: Is AWR really important? I'm getting a lot of mixed opinions on that one, some say it affects everything, while others claim it doesn't matter at all if you don't sim games.
Like I said it just matters on what Bonuses you want him to give players. He doesn't have to boost the awareness but I was just giving him a suggestion. I only boosted the awareness because of Jim Harbaugh's background with developing QBs so it would make sense he would give them an awareness boost.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goravens2052
I'm going to give you some tips on this. Awareness is a rating that matters for all players so make sure he has a high awareness. Also it just depends on what you want him to give as bonuses. I made Jim Harbaugh and boosted his AWR, and some QB Accuracy to make Jim give my QB those bonuses in those categories. Third, don't bother with going through Create A Player to make him. They never retire no matter how old they are. Your best bet is to do what I did for Jim Harbaugh, found a QB who always retires at the end of Year 1, changed his info to say "Jim Harbaugh" and I had Jim Harbaugh, in which I used Mark Brunell since he always retires at the end of Year 1. Finally, he won't become available to you right away, he will show up in the Off-Season after Year 2 in which you will be able to hire him.

I already knew I won't have him for two years but thanks for pointing that out..

I understand that I give him 99 in what I want the bonuses to be, I'm asking which ratings would my o-linemen benefit from most. Basically, which o-line ratings matter more on the field...?

About the CAP's not retiring... I read someone say that if you CAP with 17 yrs in and born in 1969 they always retire after year one.. Well I just made Munch with that criteria and started a chise just to test it out and he in fact did retire after year one. I dunno about any other service/birthyear combos but I do know that a 90 ovr LG with 17 yrs/1969 birth does retire after one year.

BTW- I'm using Mark Brunell as Bruce Matthews for my OC. Changed him to a center. Thinking about returning him though and CAPing Matthews though now that I know he'll retire...

Thanks for your help..

To add a point to the question- Anyone know a way to make the bonuses go for the whole position group as opposed to just the one position? Like, say, OL AWR +5 instead of just LG AWR +5..? I know some of the in game coaches have group bonuses but I've yet to get one of mine to do that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

Run Block and Pass Block only affect sim results while Run Block Footwork, Run Block Strength, Pass Block Footwork, and Pass Block Strength affect in-game results.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta

That makes a lot of sense. I've kind of imagined thats how the Footwork/strength ratings work, but never had a clue to how the Impact was used, but that does seem logical.

About the AWR- I know awr is a pretty much useless stat while actually playing the game, so I'd rather not have the bonus to that, but I've heard that the guy won't become a coach after they retire without a high awr.. Any truth to this?

Last edited by cl34v4g3; 02-12-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #8
Rookie

over9000yards's Arena

OVR: 9

1. We're talking Madden NFL '11 franchise right?
2. So when players retire, they become coaches/coaching canidates? What determines which players become coaches?
3. Can coaches retire?
4. You can hire different OCs and DCs?
5. Can you be fired in franchise mode?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »