Home

Will Madden 12 use the same engine from the previous 6 maddens on 360/ps3?

This is a discussion on Will Madden 12 use the same engine from the previous 6 maddens on 360/ps3? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #41
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: Will Madden 12 use the same engine from the previous 6 maddens on 360/ps3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
I don't think there is any doubt that Tiburon will use the same engine, and we all know why; there is no competition! This is not speculation, but things that can be backed up by quoting EA themselves.

When EA CEO John Riccitiello talks about areas with competition, such as Battlefield vs. Call of Duty or Bioware games vs. World of Warcraft, this is his approach:

Listening to DICE's approach for the upcoming Battlefield 3 (an EA game that wants to compete with CoD) gives you a sense of what EA is capable of doing when there is competition:

However, when it comes to annual franchises like Madden, NCAA Football etc. EA CEO John Riccitiello's attitude is completely different:

The main problem here is EA's double standard. When there is competition and they aren't market leaders, they'll invest. When they are the only game on the shelf, their game is a 'meal ticket'.

To answer the question: Yes! Madden will probably use the same engines until we get the next generation of consoles or competition, whichever comes first.
here is DICE's work so far with their first time using the ANT tech that many EA Sports teams use.

what do yall think of these running animations?

EA says there will be alot of their future games that will use the Frostbite 2.0 engine.....the tech they are pushing with this engine is ridiculous.

yeah, you knew it was coming.......but if they were some how able to downscale this engine from a huge open city to just a damn football stadium, used all the resources saved from not needing to calculate destruction......added some football collision detection/interaction and (this part won't happen but it would be nice) added Euphoria (BackBreaker tech).....well, it won't be perfect out of the gates, but dang it would be a start.

I know it sounds sad, and I'm most likely reaching here....this is not built to be a sports engine first and foremost, but some of us are so desperate here, imo Madden's current approach leaves ALOT to be desired.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #42
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
here is DICE's work so far with their first time using the ANT tech that many EA Sports teams use.
According to DICE they actually explored using NaturalMotion's technologies (Euphoria, Endorphin, Morpheme) and others before deciding to go with EA's own ANT. They quote FIFA as crucial in their decision (animation-wise), because of FIFA's ability to translate seamlessly in and out of animations.

As far as I've read, ANT is a basic EA technology with around 20 programmers assigned to it, and then each developer (e.g. Tiburon) use it with their own plug-ins. These plug-ins, however, can be share across games.

If you've ever played other EA Sports games (FIFA or NFL) then you know how great the ANT technology can be, but judging from Madden alone you probably couldn't tell.

And in terms of Frostbite 2.0 being the new game engine for many games, I think it's more in terms of FPS, action/adventure and that sort of games. I can't recall ever seeing a sports video game build on the Unreal Engine, even though it is a very capable engine. Sports games have always had their own thing.

And while I'm very impressed by the Frostbite 2.0 engine (and the new Unreal Engine), I just want Madden to be on par with EA's other sports games. Be true to the sport, respect the fundamentals and create fun and engaging gameplay.

Edit:
  • Apparently the new Unreal Engine calculates physics in real-time as well. But I still don't see it used in sports games.
  • There's a gameplay video of Battlefield 3 on kotaku that shows plenty of 'skating' while the player is crawling, so that problem might be universal to ANT.

Last edited by guaps; 03-06-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #43
Rookie

DarkOmnios's Arena

OVR: 0

EA made a mistsake look the team of FIFA they had some problems in the last gen so what they do?? the 360 wasn't even in the market they already where working in a new engine for the next gen...

EA Tiburon should have done the same thing...
Old 03-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #44
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
And in terms of Frostbite 2.0 being the new game engine for many games, I think it's more in terms of FPS, action/adventure and that sort of games. I can't recall ever seeing a sports video game build on the Unreal Engine, even though it is a very capable engine. Sports games have always had their own thing.

And while I'm very impressed by the Frostbite 2.0 engine (and the new Unreal Engine), I just want Madden to be on par with EA's other sports games. Be true to the sport, respect the fundamentals and create fun and engaging gameplay.
ANT was also free for them wasn't it?

as far as other game engines used for Football, actually a small small inexperienced dev team created this with Unreal Engine 3....sure it wasn't a technical feat, but it had HDR lighting and dirty uniforms...but again, small dev team...and I don't even like the look of Unreal Engine 3 games (besides Mirror's Edge).

so a big team might be able to create an amazing looking and running game with one of the latest and most advanced engines. It also helps that EA owns this engine, so it would be free for them. Again, I am reaching here but I'm just desperate for Madden to go in a different direction, because the current direction one will not fix some of the problems some of us have with it.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan

what do yall think of these running animations?

EA says there will be alot of their future games that will use the Frostbite 2.0 engine.....the tech they are pushing with this engine is ridiculous.

yeah, you knew it was coming.......but if they were some how able to downscale this engine from a huge open city to just a damn football stadium, used all the resources saved from not needing to calculate destruction......added some football collision detection/interaction and (this part won't happen but it would be nice) added Euphoria (BackBreaker tech).....well, it won't be perfect out of the gates, but dang it would be a start.

I know it sounds sad, and I'm most likely reaching here....this is not built to be a sports engine first and foremost, but some of us are so desperate here, imo Madden's current approach leaves ALOT to be desired.

FiFia11 use this.(That what IGN said.Ign rewind.)

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/03/02...ectid=14209865

Last edited by lofeazy; 03-06-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #46
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

There is nothing 2k5, 2k8, or any other sports game has ever done that the existing "engine" in Madden can't accomplish. We simply have to get around too it. It takes time. I am not coping out here, I've only been with EA for 2 months, and before that I was on these forums saying the exact same thing. Since that time, I've dealt with a lot of people on the gameplay team and on the Madden specific team, and there's plenty of room for improvement, but we're getting there, one piece at a time.

I still think of Madden 10 as a first step. I kind of think of Madden 11 as a bump in the road... progress was made, specifically in the areas of locomotion and run blocking... but it wasn't the leap from Madden 10 that M10 was from M09. I think we're going to make up some of that difference this year.

Just my opinion, though. You can judge for yourself when we start releasing info.

I must say; I'm shocked people are bringing up Madden 08. Madden 01, I can see, but Madden 08? As is always the case, perhaps there are a few areas where it did something better than the current versions, but really? Madden 08? Really?

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 03-06-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #47
Rookie

MiNiDiTkA's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
There is nothing 2k5, 2k8, or any other sports game has ever done that the existing "engine" in Madden can't accomplish. We simply have to get around too it
Dont you think its about time you guys started "getting around to it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I must say; I'm shocked people are bringing up Madden 08. Madden 01, I can see, but Madden 08? As is always the case, perhaps there are a few areas where it did something better than the current versions, but really? Madden 08? Really?
Yes really!

[/quote]

Last edited by MiNiDiTkA; 03-06-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #48
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNiDiTkA
Yes really!
All those double-team tackles in Madden 08 are canned animations. Those double team tackles played out the same way every time the animation engine cued them up to be played in the game, i.e. once you've seen all five double-team tackles in the game once each, you will continually see those same five tackles playing out the same way any time they are needed. Breaks the illusion of realism down quite a bit.

While the animations in Pro-Tak multiple person tackles are still canned, there is far more variance in how a second defender can add on to a tackler-ballcarrier interaction.

There really isn't a comparison between the two, IMO, with the distinct advantage going to the Pro-Tak implementation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »